Sign the Petition - A Light for Aly Purvis

mAlice

professional daydreamer
right, but if we put lights at every intersection there was ever an accident.....

There are fender benders every day. Not really a big deal. But when you have to get into traffic that's 65+mph, from a dead stop, that's another story. I never suggested putting a traffic light at every intersection that there was ever an accident at.

tommyjones

There are fender benders every day. Not really a big deal. But when you have to get into traffic that's 65+mph, from a dead stop, that's another story. I never suggested putting a traffic light at every intersection that there was ever an accident at.

you asked why she would be against a light at a dangerous intersection, the obvious answer is that danger is a matter of degrees, and that the SHA has to make decisions based on their data.

you can't just have a kneejerk reaction to an accident and out up a light. before you know it you have a light at every intersection.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
you asked why she would be against a light at a dangerous intersection, the obvious answer is that danger is a matter of degrees, and that the SHA has to make decisions based on their data.

you can't just have a kneejerk reaction to an accident and out up a light. before you know it you have a light at every intersection.

I'm not having a knee jerk reaction. You think I've never driven on that road? I know how dangerous it is.

riverview

Like I previously mentioned, a light there will back up traffick and cause unnecessary delays. I drive from Prince Frederick to DC everyday; It's hard enough trying to make a simple U-Turn let alone cross completely over ANYWHERE on Rt 4 during peak hours. Not just there.

....add a light and you'll cause unnecessary delays. God forbid we actually SLOW DOWN the commuters that fly into DC at 70+ mph every day!

If you are in that much of a hurry to get into DC, move to PG county. Otherwise, slow down, or accept the fact that lights are needed at the busiest intersections, no matter how much of an inconveience it is for the commuters that choose to drive an hour plus to work each day. You are sharing the road with inexperienced drivers that have no business driving at 70+ mph and SHOULD be delayed (slowed) while driving Rt 4 in the morning.

The truth of the matter is that we are throwing our [inexperienced] children on to Rt 4 and telling them "be safe", which is close to impossible. They have no protection against the drivers that insist on travelling at high rates of speed.

If you travel at the speed limit, you are practically run down, regardless of which lane you are travelling in. I've been driving for 30+ years and I am still afraid at times driving on Rt. 4.

Granted, this accident wasn't caused by excessive speed, but a new driver is less likely to properly navigate a busy intersection than an experienced driver. And, had there been a light at this interesction, she should would have had a better opportunity to proceed through it safely.

We are no longer a rural county...face the facts and upgrade out roads to accomodate the amount of traffic that use them every day.

Last edited:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
....add a light and you'll cause unnecessary delays. God forbid we actually SLOW DOWN the commuters that fly into DC at 70+ mph every day!

If you are in that much of a hurry to get into DC, move to PG county. Otherwise, slow down, or accept the fact that lights are needed at the busiest intersections, no matter how much of an inconveience it is for the commuters that choose to drive an hour plus to work each day. You are sharing the road with inexperienced drivers that have no business driving at 70+ mph and SHOULD be delayed (slowed) while driving Rt 4 in the morning.

The truth of the matter is that we are throwing our [inexperienced] children on to Rt 4 and telling them "be safe", which is close to impossible. They have no protection against the drivers that insist on travelling at high rates of speed.

If you travel at the speed limit and you are practically run down, regardless of which lane you are in. I've been driving for 30+ years and I am still afraid at times driving on Rt. 4.

Granted, this accident wasn't caused by excessive speed, but a new driver is less likely to properly navigate a busy intersection than an experienced driver. And, had there been a light at this interesction, should would have been able to proceed through it safely.

My teen didn't get his license till he was 18, believe me even then that was scary. He is still just now getting to learn the ropes of navigating safely with other vehicles. When I am in the car with him I still find myself telling him to pay attention to all of his surroundings. Sometimes he just in his own little world!! :whistle::doh:

mAlice

professional daydreamer

If you travel at the speed limit, you are practically run down, regardless of which lane you are travelling in. I've been driving for 30+ years and I am still afraid at times driving on Rt. 4.

Granted, this accident wasn't caused by excessive speed, but a new driver is less likely to properly navigate a busy intersection than an experienced driver. And, had there been a light at this interesction, she should would have had a better opportunity to proceed through it safely.

We are no longer a rural county...face the facts and upgrade out roads to accomodate the amount of traffic that use them every day.

Well said.

riverview

My son will be getting his license in February and I am very nervous. No matter how safe they may try to be, they are in their own little world [inexpereinced!] and I don't think they realize the potential danger of driving, especially in this area.

Route 4 is not the Autobahn, people. Lights should be installed at the busiest of intersections. At the very least, SHA should install merge lanes such as the one at Plum Point Rd. That intersection used to be the #1 accident site in Calvert.

It may delay your commute a bit, but leave earlier or get a job closer to home so you don't have to mow innocent people down on your way to work in order to get there on time.

tommyjones

My son will be getting his license in February and I am very nervous. No matter how safe they may try to be, they are in their own little world [inexpereinced!] and I don't think they realize the potential danger of driving, especially in this area.

Route 4 is not the Autobahn, people. Lights should be installed at the busiest of intersections. At the very least, SHA should install merge lanes such as the one at Plum Point Rd. That intersection used to be the #1 accident site in Calvert.

It may delay your commute a bit, but leave earlier or get a job closer to home so you don't have to mow innocent people down on your way to work in order to get there on time.

SHA is doing lots to make our drive safer. IF you dont feel your child is ready for the RESPONSIBILITY of driving, dont let them get a licsence.

R

Rienell

Adding a light for the convenience of all inexperienced and inept drivers is not a good enough reason. Again, this is treating the symptom, and not the problem. I had an officer tell me once that there is no excuse for ignorance of the law.

Your comments directed to me personally are irrelevant to the whole point and I'll ignore them. It's standard business practice that you research pertinent data and evaluate statistics before making any kind of decision like this. That's all I'm asking for. Did you not see the part where I stated that I will vote yes for it if I see justification for it? Opinions are not good enough.

What exactly, is the "problem", in your professional and knowledgable opinion?

IMO, it's people not obeying the posted speed limits. If everyone traveled at the posted speed, it would allow for gaps in traffic which would leave room for traffic flow from various routes. It would also decrease required stopping distance (vs. distance needed to brake to a stop from a higher rate of speed). There are more benefits. Those are just for starters.

riverview

My son is fully capable of handling the RESPONSIBILTY of driving, should he be given the chance to drive on roads that are planned to safely accomodate the traffic they see each day.

What concerns me is the jerks that seem to think it's ACCEPTABLE to drive at high rates of speed, weaving in and out of traffic with no regard for anyone elses safety, and the unsafe intersections that drivers are having to navigate through.

One gains experience over time, it's just a shame that new drivers are being killed before they are allowed the time to gain experience.

We are no longer a small county. I learned to drive in Calvert COunty in the 80's. Much less traffic, and the biggest concern of the driving test was having to cross the bridge! The numbers of cars has increased tremendously in Calvert...now revise the roads and intersections to accomodate the numbers.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
IMO, it's people not obeying the posted speed limits. If everyone traveled at the posted speed, it would allow for gaps in traffic which would leave room for traffic flow from various routes. It would also decrease required stopping distance (vs. distance needed to brake to a stop from a higher rate of speed). There are more benefits. Those are just for starters.

I was looking for an answer from Reinell, but thanks for the input. :yay:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
SHA is doing lots to make our drive safer. IF you dont feel your child is ready for the RESPONSIBILITY of driving, dont let them get a licsence.

It's not just responsibility, it's the whole BIG picture. I told him it's like chess, you have to anticipate others moves even before they do it. Being totally aware of what you and everyone else is doing. Something you get better at with experience. They all have to start somewhere. Responsible kids get into accidents also..

tommyjones

My son is fully capable of handling the RESPONSIBILTY of driving, should he be given the chance to drive on roads that are planned to safely accomodate the traffic they see each day.

What concerns me is the jerks that seem to think it's ACCEPTABLE to drive at high rates of speed, weaving in and out of traffic with no regard for anyone elses safety, and the unsafe intersections that drivers are having to navigate through.

One gains experience over time, it's just a shame that new drivers are being killed before they are allowed the time to gain experience.

We are no longer a small county. I learned to drive in Calvert COunty in the 80's. Much less traffic, and the biggest concern of the driving test was having to cross the bridge! The numbers of cars has increased tremendously in Calvert...now revise the roads and intersections to accomodate the numbers.

the roads are what they are. If you dont think your son can drive safely on them that is a decision for you to make

BTW, it is my understanding that most of the roads we have (highways anyway) were designed for much greater speeds than they see today.

CobraKai

SF. SH. NM.
What exactly, is the "problem", in your professional and knowledgable opinion?

Hopefully this doesn't open a can of worms, but maybe the "problem" is inexperienced drivers on challenging roads, or just in general. Should the solution be more training/testing before a license is provided? Has the general driver's test changed enough over the last 20 years (or more) to reflect new driving patterns & speeds.

My driver's test was completed on actual roads in actual traffic, but I think many are still performing driving evaluations in a parking lot.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
maybe the "problem" is inexperienced drivers on challenging roads, or just in general. Should the solution be more training/testing before a license is provided? Has the general driver's test changed enough over the last 20 years (or more) to reflect new driving patterns & speeds.

My driver's test was completed on actual roads in actual traffic, but I think many are still performing driving evaluations in a parking lot.

Absolutely. I'd even go so far as to say, the biggest challenge is going from a dead stop into 80mph traffic without a merge lane. If there was a traffic light there, or a merge lane, it wouldn't be a gauntlet.

riverview

Adding a light for the convenience of all inexperienced and inept drivers is not a good enough reason. Again, this is treating the symptom, and not the problem. I had an officer tell me once that there is no excuse for ignorance of the law.

Your comments directed to me personally are irrelevant to the whole point and I'll ignore them. It's standard business practice that you research pertinent data and evaluate statistics before making any kind of decision like this. That's all I'm asking for. Did you not see the part where I stated that I will vote yes for it if I see justification for it? Opinions are not good enough.

Hhhhmmm. One can't help but wonder, are you a politician?

If it were YOUR daughter and son that were killed....would your opinion be any different, or would you still be standing aroudn demanding pertinent data and statistics ? 11 accidents at one intersection within 3 years is an indication that SOMETHING should be done, for EXPERIENCED as well as INEXPERIENCED drivers.

One can travel for miles without having to slow on Rt 4. The drivers obviously don't slow on their own, so install a light and make it mandatory to slow down.

I don't know these people or anyone that was involved, but this is obviously an intersection in need of a change, as are many intersections in Calvert.

One can only hope in the meantime that their family member does not become ANOTHER number in the pertinent data and statistics that you are waiting for in order to sign one petition.