Sign the Petition - A Light for Aly Purvis

riverview

the roads are what they are. If you dont think your son can drive safely on them that is a decision for you to make

BTW, it is my understanding that most of the roads we have (highways anyway) were designed for much greater speeds than they see today.

Do I understand you correctly???!!! Our roads are designed to much greater speeds than the 70-85 mph that I SEE on a daily basis??? Now that shoud definitely bring the accident/death toll down!

tommyjones

Do I understand you correctly???!!! Our roads are designed to much greater speeds than the 70-85 mph that I SEE on a daily basis??? Now that shoud definitely bring the accident/death toll down!

i mistyped, i meant the posted speed limits.

the roads with 70 mph limits aren't much different than rt 4

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
All of my accidents on Rt. 4 have been caused by someone running into me at a light. I'd rather not see anymore lights on Rt. 4. The one at Huntingtown High (although needed) scares the crap out of me. It's only on the North bound side and it's hard to see, people forget it's there and slam on the brakes. They've already had one fatality there this year.

Last edited:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Hhhhmmm. One can't help but wonder, are you a politician?

If it were YOUR daughter and son that were killed....would your opinion be any different, or would you still be standing aroudn demanding pertinent data and statistics ? 11 accidents at one intersection within 3 years is an indication that SOMETHING should be done, for EXPERIENCED as well as INEXPERIENCED drivers.

One can travel for miles without having to slow on Rt 4. The drivers obviously don't slow on their own, so install a light and make it mandatory to slow down.

I don't know these people or anyone that was involved, but this is obviously an intersection in need of a change, as are many intersections in Calvert.

One can only hope in the meantime that their family member does not become ANOTHER number in the pertinent data and statistics that you are waiting for in order to sign one petition.

By his logic, all the lights that have been installed on 235 in the last 10 years don't need to be there.

FerretRescue

bite me
You didn't even read my post, else you would've seen that I asked those very questions initially. Where is this information found at?
I'll vote yes, if it's warranted. But I don't think making these sorts of decisions based on emotion instead of rational logic is a good idea. That's all I'm saying... back up the need.

This is just amazing how you have to center this around you. You think we should do research for you to help you determine if a light is needed.

Get off your lazy ass and do the research yourself if you are at all interested in helping someone else. Otherwise shut up. I think they are enough intelligent and caring people to sign without having to worry about winning yours.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
All of my accidents on Rt. 4 have been caused by someone running into me at a light. I'd rather not see anymore lights on Rt. 4. The one at Huntingtown High (although needed) scares the crap out of me. It's only on the North bound side and it's hard to see, people forget it's there and slam on the breaks. They've already had one fatality there this year.

Yep...and they actually REMOVED the light southbound at Plum Point to try to help reduce accidents.

Route 4 is a bad road and unfortunately stop lights at every intersection aren't the answer.

riverview

By his logic, all the lights that have been installed on 235 in the last 10 years don't need to be there.

I guess I could show my son how to drive FASTER so that he's not at risk of being run over while pulling into the autobahn currentlly known as Rt 4!

Heck! I could even show him how to drive around the people on the shoulder if they are going TOO slow!

And, for th etraffic ligths that ARE in place on Rte. 4, I'll just show him how to step on the gas at the last minute so he doesn't have to slow on his commute to DC:duel:

FerretRescue

bite me
Like I previously mentioned, a light there will back up traffick and cause unnecessary delays. I drive from Prince Frederick to DC everyday; It's hard enough trying to make a simple U-Turn let alone cross completely over ANYWHERE on Rt 4 during peak hours. Not just there.

You think you are the only one who commutes? I don't think a light is going to make all that much of a difference. Taking into consideration traffic is backed up no matter what.

If the commute is that bad find another job or move. Saving even just one life is more important then worrying about being delayed a few minutes.

FerretRescue

bite me
then why weren't you on here LAST WEEK asking for a light?

For as long as I can remember people have asked about a light there. Not just this accident.

You are just trying to start an arguement. No one said put a light up at every intersection and no one said put a light at every intersection that has had an accident.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
You think you are the only one who commutes? I don't think a light is going to make all that much of a difference. Taking into consideration traffic is backed up no matter what.

If the commute is that bad find another job or move. Saving even just one life is more important then worrying about being delayed a few minutes.

You have to take into account where traffic lights are installed. Traffic lights at the top of a hill can sometimes make matters worse. That's a huge problem with Route 4 already...coming over a hill doing the speed limit and "blam" traffic is stopped.

I'm sure everyone is sad about what happened and everyone thinks they have a solution but at this point the thread is getting ridiculous.

FerretRescue

bite me
....add a light and you'll cause unnecessary delays. God forbid we actually SLOW DOWN the commuters that fly into DC at 70+ mph every day!

If you are in that much of a hurry to get into DC, move to PG county. Otherwise, slow down, or accept the fact that lights are needed at the busiest intersections, no matter how much of an inconveience it is for the commuters that choose to drive an hour plus to work each day. You are sharing the road with inexperienced drivers that have no business driving at 70+ mph and SHOULD be delayed (slowed) while driving Rt 4 in the morning.

The truth of the matter is that we are throwing our [inexperienced] children on to Rt 4 and telling them "be safe", which is close to impossible. They have no protection against the drivers that insist on travelling at high rates of speed.

If you travel at the speed limit, you are practically run down, regardless of which lane you are travelling in. I've been driving for 30+ years and I am still afraid at times driving on Rt. 4.

Granted, this accident wasn't caused by excessive speed, but a new driver is less likely to properly navigate a busy intersection than an experienced driver. And, had there been a light at this interesction, she should would have had a better opportunity to proceed through it safely.

We are no longer a rural county...face the facts and upgrade out roads to accomodate the amount of traffic that use them every day.

Well said. Another note is how can we tell our children to be safe when there are those adults doing the very thing we teach our children not to do.

FerretRescue

bite me
SHA is doing lots to make our drive safer. IF you dont feel your child is ready for the RESPONSIBILITY of driving, dont let them get a licsence.

Bull shiat. It is not always the teens that are driving reckless. It is the adults. Pure and simple. How are they going to learn how to drive if they are not given the opportunity to do so in the enviorment that is safe not only for them to drive in but everyone.

What is SHA doing exactly to make our drive safer and explain to me why there are so many problems. Don't blame it on the driver that is only a small percentage.

riverview

i mistyped, i meant the posted speed limits.

the roads with 70 mph limits aren't much different than rt 4

thanks for clarifying.

I think that if Calvert did not have shopping centers and cross intersections, a 70+ mph speed limit woudl be acceptable.

Look at the NJ and PA turnpikes...unfortunatley, our county is structured a bit differently than these highways. Therefore, I do not see how a 70+mph posted speed limit would be beneficial.

R

Rienell

I was looking for an answer from Reinell, but thanks for the input. :yay:
I was on the phone.

Doesn't take a professional or knowledgable person to see that it's inept drivers and their lack of good judgement here. Which, putting a traffic light there isn't going to alleviate. How many rear-end accidents will no doubt happen there if they put a light in (until people get used to it)? Tell me how that is going to benefit Calvert County as a whole please.

I actually agree with you, riverview about the speeding, but it's not the point.... It doesn't make sense to me to install a light just because of one death. Honestly, I don't know how I would feel about my daughter being in a wreck. that's something I can't answer, nor do I want to think about. But making rash decisions isn't going to prevent it either.

Now, if you were to compose a petition to demand that they do a evaluation for the need of a light... that I would support.

FerretRescue

bite me
I guess I could show my son how to drive FASTER so that he's not at risk of being run over while pulling into the autobahn currentlly known as Rt 4!

Heck! I could even show him how to drive around the people on the shoulder if they are going TOO slow!

And, for th etraffic ligths that ARE in place on Rte. 4, I'll just show him how to step on the gas at the last minute so he doesn't have to slow on his commute to DC:duel:

Or...maybe instead of light have cops stationed everyday at intersections, lower the speed limit even further and make the penalty for speeding severe.

They keep talking about the teens being responsible but no where did they say that their speed could play some factor into it.

going that fast reduces your reaction time and stopping distance and could make it near impossible to avoid problems should they arise.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Now, if you were to compose a petition to demand that they do a evaluation for the need of a light... that I would support.

Guess what? I find it highly unlikely your support will be missed. Thanks for adding your opinion to the conversation, and have a nice day.

FerretRescue

bite me
You have to take into account where traffic lights are installed. Traffic lights at the top of a hill can sometimes make matters worse. That's a huge problem with Route 4 already...coming over a hill doing the speed limit and "blam" traffic is stopped.

I'm sure everyone is sad about what happened and everyone thinks they have a solution but at this point the thread is getting ridiculous.

I understand what you are saying I drive that road every morning. The point I think they are making is with the light and the commuters are aware of the light they will be forced to not only slow down, but forced to stop and allow other drivers cross. Now when they put in a light most the time they have warning lights a head to let you know there is going to be a red light a head.

This has been a bad intersection for quite sometime.

FerretRescue

bite me
I was on the phone.

Doesn't take a professional or knowledgable person to see that it's inept drivers and their lack of good judgement here. Which, putting a traffic light there isn't going to alleviate. How many rear-end accidents will no doubt happen there if they put a light in (until people get used to it)? Tell me how that is going to benefit Calvert County as a whole please.

I actually agree with you, riverview about the speeding, but it's not the point.... It doesn't make sense to me to install a light just because of one death. Honestly, I don't know how I would feel about my daughter being in a wreck. that's something I can't answer, nor do I want to think about. But making rash decisions isn't going to prevent it either.

One death? Maybe you should do the much needed research you keep asking everyone else to do.

tommyjones

For as long as I can remember people have asked about a light there. Not just this accident.

You are just trying to start an arguement. No one said put a light up at every intersection and no one said put a light at every intersection that has had an accident.

the SHA has a process by which they determine if a light is needed. I garuntee it has been looked at.

calling for a light after an accident is just as kneejerk as calling for all guns to be banned after a school shooting.