Silver Gray Hair

Are you going to let your hair grow in gray/silver

• yes

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • no

Votes: 16 47.1%

• Total voters

Roman

We should start a club. 50 Shades of Never Gray.
I have a friend that is about 10 years older than I am. She's near 70, and refuses to let her hair go grey. Wrinkles, and Auburn hair don't mix well in my book. But that's me. Sockgirl, you're still young, and may change your opinion in years to come. Especially if you add up all the money you spend in one year, that it takes to keep the color looking good. I used to spend $145.00 every two months, which was close to a thousand a year. Now my hair costs $40.00 a year. I get it trimmed every 6 months, and that's it.

sockgirl77

I have a friend that is about 10 years older than I am. She's near 70, and refuses to let her hair go grey. Wrinkles, and Auburn hair don't mix well in my book. But that's me. Sockgirl, you're still young, and may change your opinion in years to come. Especially if you add up all the money you spend in one year, that it takes to keep the color looking good. I used to spend $145.00 every two months, which was close to a thousand a year. Now my hair costs $40.00 a year. I get it trimmed every 6 months, and that's it.

I've been fighting gray for 10 years and I'll keep fighting it. Oh and dye my own hair for a fraction of the cost. $13 every other month. :lol:

ZARA

And this is why I learned dye techs and do my own. I refuse to pay someone to do what I can do myself! I cut my own hair, dye it, do my own nails, etc. I spend about 50 a year on dying my hair and 50 on my nails.

I gave up on salons because in all my life, I have only met 2 people that knew how to properly cut curly hair. Cutting my hair was a bit of a hassle when my hair was down to my bum but now that I keep my hair shorter, it is even easier for me to cut.

sockgirl77

And this is why I learned dye techs and do my own. I refuse to pay someone to do what I can do myself! I cut my own hair, dye it, do my own nails, etc. I spend about 50 a year on dying my hair and 50 on my nails.

I gave up on salons because in all my life, I have only met 2 people that knew how to properly cut curly hair. Cutting my hair was a bit of a hassle when my hair was down to my bum but now that I keep my hair shorter, it is even easier for me to cut.

I'm not brave enough to cut my own hair. Scissors haven't been near it in almost 2 and a half years. :faint:

Roman

I never trusted myself enough to color my hair. My hair grabs orange bad, and extra violet has to be added to ward away the orange. Even Stylists that claim to be great Colorists have turned my hair Bozo the Clown orange. One time, my hair turned out Mahogony Red, and all I was asking for was my own natural color to help texturize my extreme Baby-Fine strands. My hair was dark blonde.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I am 54, have a lot of gray mixed in and it started when I was about 34. (thanks, Dad & paternal grandmother)

I color it with Revlon's Medium Golden Brown. I like the way it looks. :dance:

(Actually, my hairdresser says I do a very good job with it, too!)

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I started coloring my hair in my late 40's. I went to Salons, because I didn't trust myself. Despite getting it professionally done, I had one too many bad color mistakes, and decided to let it go natural. I love the natural color, and the fact that I'm not throwing money away every 6 weeks. I'm 59 years old, and find it kind of silly when I see a woman my age, with youthful colored hair.

Gray hair is also a beautiful color!

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
I've been fighting gray for 10 years and I'll keep fighting it. Oh and dye my own hair for a fraction of the cost. $13 every other month. :lol:

I dye my own hair too as I gave up of finding a stylist I really liked. Well in august my ex mother in law and her cousin took me to get my hair done. Needless to say after cutting 12" plus off and then dying it a golden brown. I look quite different. I like the cut I got but still feel it needs tweaking. I saw a girl at a deli last week and I loved her hair. She gave me her stylists card and her name too so the stylist would know what I wanted. The salon is S-cape so just as soon as I sell one of my kids on eBay I am so going to try it .

You are still young but you will find you will most likely have a different point of view in 10-15 years. I found my first gray at 20 and since then I have been dying it. When dying it dark stopped working I just went blonde.

Also I am about 33-40% gray on the top side and I have yet to find one down their. It is bound to happen one day to us all. So just keep it neat and short and you will be ok.

One last thing. Remember when you encouraged a certain someone to dye his hair to look younger for the ladies? Do you remember the shocked look on everyone's faces and how hard it was not to chuckle every time we saw him. It was just too drastic of a change. He never did it again though.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
I started going grey as a teen. I think if I had a nice streak it would be awesome. I'd probably be okay with sprinkles of grey. However, my grey comes in really weird. I have a "halo" effect of grey hair. It wraps around my head in a circle and good gracious. I look like I'm already dead. So, some color and a hairstyle that hides the halo for me. :lol:

I have a weird grey streak that I have had for close to twenty years. It would be great if it was in the front, but no mine has to sprout out of my head where my cowlick is. This is why I have been dying for so long. The rest of my gray is appropriately coming in from what I can see before the next dye job.

Do you know Pete that goes to the Legion? His wife "R" has completely silver hair. It is gorgeous just like Emmy Lou Harris' is. If I could go grey that way I would do it in a New York Minute.

mamatutu

mama to two
I have a weird grey streak that I have had for close to twenty years. It would be great if it was in the front, but no mine has to sprout out of my head where my cowlick is. This is why I have been dying for so long. The rest of my gray is appropriately coming in from what I can see before the next dye job.

Do you know Pete that goes to the Legion? His wife "R" has completely silver hair. It is gorgeous just like Emmy Lou Harris' is. If I could go grey that way I would do it in a New York Minute.

I have always loved your posts, no matter what subject. You are honest like me. I would like to go gray, and accept my age, but I can't, and I still self dye; Natural Instincts #24, Clove. I was always a dark brunette, and gray came late, but it is here, now. I will be 59 when my dot gets married next May, so I will continue to color until then. After that and the wed photos, who cares, anymore! :killingme

My son has sworn off marriage; so I am thinking after May 2014, I will be a free spirit. :bann:

Last edited:

ZARA

I like my grey... I remember my dad dying his hair. It wasn't good.

That's because you are a man, grey looks good on men.

When women (not all) see grey, it reminds us that we aren't 21 any more...or in my case...15...lol (Got my first grey at 16)

For me, it wouldn't bother me so much if the majority of my grey wasn't along my hairline on my forehead. It's like "POW! How ya doing?!" every morning...:cds:

sockgirl77

I dye my own hair too as I gave up of finding a stylist I really liked. Well in august my ex mother in law and her cousin took me to get my hair done. Needless to say after cutting 12" plus off and then dying it a golden brown. I look quite different. I like the cut I got but still feel it needs tweaking. I saw a girl at a deli last week and I loved her hair. She gave me her stylists card and her name too so the stylist would know what I wanted. The salon is S-cape so just as soon as I sell one of my kids on eBay I am so going to try it .

You are still young but you will find you will most likely have a different point of view in 10-15 years. I found my first gray at 20 and since then I have been dying it. When dying it dark stopped working I just went blonde.

Also I am about 33-40% gray on the top side and I have yet to find one down their. It is bound to happen one day to us all. So just keep it neat and short and you will be ok.

One last thing. Remember when you encouraged a certain someone to dye his hair to look younger for the ladies? Do you remember the shocked look on everyone's faces and how hard it was not to chuckle every time we saw him. It was just too drastic of a change. He never did it again though.

I have no clue who you're talking about. :lol:

sockgirl77

You stayed at their house for a week or two in Ridge right before you hooked up with bebe daddy.

Oh jeeeeeeeeeeeez. That was me picking on him, not encouraging him. It certainly did not hurt him in the slightest. If I recall, he had women lining up for a piece of him...

:roflmao: