small gas roto tiller

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Break out a meter and check everything for shorts. Or too high of a resistance. Or for an open circuit.

And if possible, have someone use a strong drill to spin the engine without the spark plug installed, though connected, while checking for voltages.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
For your consideration ...

Break out a meter and check everything for shorts. Or too high of a resistance. Or for an open circuit.

And if possible, have someone use a strong drill to spin the engine without the spark plug installed, though connected, while checking for voltages.
Did all of that....except for spinning it with a drill. Spinning it over by hand should produce plenty of spark but produces absolutely none. New coil, properly air gapped, and new points.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Co$t of ManHours to diagnose + Firing of Part$ Cannon + Fru$tration Factor > Co$t of New
But it's a flathead! I've been saving 2 of them for 30+ years just knowing they might be needed some day. @stgislander , if you'd like to save the frustration factor, I'll see if I can dig them out. I have a 3hp and maybe a 2.5hp points motors somewhere in my mess. 😆

stgislander

PREMO Member
But it's a flathead! I've been saving 2 of them for 30+ years just knowing they might be needed some day. @stgislander , if you'd like to save the frustration factor, I'll see if I can dig them out. I have a 3hp and maybe a 2.5hp points motors somewhere in my mess. 😆
It is frustrating because after pulling the head, the inside was pristine with the exception of the exhaust valve not fully seating. 10 minutes of TLC and voila... compression. It would be interesting to see if your's still run.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Uses points/condenser? Replace with an electronic spark system. I did that on an old flathead tiller years ago, resolved all my ignition issues.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Uses points/condenser? Replace with an electronic spark system. I did that on an old flathead tiller years ago, resolved all my ignition issues.
Hmmm. Do they make electronic ignitions for that old iron? Hell, Gilligan probably has something lying around in the shop.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Is the flywheel magnet clean and strong?
Ya know....I didn't actually check the magnet strength....will do that. It's an old style design with magnets "glued" to the inner diameter of the flywheel instead being embedded in that or the outer diameter surface like more modern small engines..

I probably have a couple bottles of magnetic field on the shelf somewhere..

phreddyp

Ya know....I didn't actually check the magnet strength....will do that. It's an old style design with magnets "glued" to the inner diameter of the flywheel instead being embedded in that or the outer diameter surface like more modern small engines..

I probably have a couple bottles of magnetic field on the shelf somewhere..
Had a B&S I had to clean every two years, this is only a guess because I don't know squat about engines.