Smokers to pay for public health insurance in Maryland?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
FromTexas said:
So, if I get all the people on the boards to start running around like fascists and saying, "Don't you dare sleep with Tex, Vrai!" you might start feeling a little rebellious...
:smack:

Jeesh - you flash some people and they think it's all that. :rolleyes:

W

Wenchy

I'm all for the extra $1 per pack tax if it is going to go to me.

I want a little punch card for every pack that I buy, and I can trade them in for codeine syrup and morphine. I also want my doobies. :cool:

The private health insurance I pay for will take care of the rest.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
If smoking causes cancer then can someone explain why a nation such as Japan that consumes more cigarettes has a lower incident rate of lung cancer related deaths?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ken King said:
If smoking causes cancer then can someone explain why a nation such as Japan that consumes more cigarettes has a lower incident rate of lung cancer related deaths?
It's because they eat so much rice and vegetables. If they ate the junk food we eat, they'd ALL be cancer city fatties like us.

:cool:

Last edited:

oldman

Lobster Land
Somdmommy said:
Everytime I think about this thread I think about Demolition Man, where everything thats bad for you is illegal...smoking, drinking, salt, sugar, sex.....

I'm doing my part, I gave up one of the five above although smoking, drinking, salt and sugar haven't made my list thus far.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Damn...

Ken King said:

..sneaky asz Persians.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Wenchy!!!! :jameo:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2003/pr27/en/
Nutrition and cancer – the good news
Stomach cancer is among the most common malignancies worldwide, with some 870,000 cases every year, and 650,000 deaths. About 60 per cent of cases occur in developing countries, with the highest incidence rates coming in Eastern Asia, the Andean regions of South America and Eastern Europe. The good news is that stomach cancer is declining world-wide, in some regions almost dramatically. In Switzerland and neighbouring European countries, the mortality fell by 60 per cent within one generation. If this trend continues, stomach cancer may in some world regions become a rare disease during the next 30 years. The main reason for this welcome development is the invention of the refrigerator, allowing fish and meat preservation without salting. The drop in incidence and mortality rates is therefore particularly impressive in Nordic countries in which fish consumption is traditionally high, e.g. Iceland. In populations that still prefer salty food, e.g. Portugal and Brazil (salted cod, bacalao), Japan and Korea (salted pickles and salad), stomach cancer rates are still high but have also started to decline significantly. An additional factor contributing to this trend is the availability in many countries of fresh fruit and vegetables throughout the year.

bcp

In My Opinion
huntr1 said:
You saying only geezers, smokers and fatties are premo members?
I cant speak for others here, but I am a fat smoking geezer.
and, Im premo. that money could have bought me a couple packs of smokes.

back to the dumpster for some more cans now.

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Just FYI...I had a HUGE piece of strawberry shortcake made with local strawberries and tons of whipped cream for dessert tonight. Chased it with 2 big ole cups of strong coffee with lots and lots of cream. After..to top it off... I sat around the picnic table, being fat and lazy and smoked 4 cigarettes while watching the kids play.

~Signed,
MysticalMom (the big fat smoker whos insurance premiums aren't any higher than the non smokers in her genetically fat family)

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
MysticalMom said:
Just FYI...I had a HUGE piece of strawberry shortcake made with local strawberries and tons of whipped cream for dessert tonight. Chased it with 2 big ole cups of strong coffee with lots and lots of cream. After..to top it off... I sat around the picnic table, being fat and lazy and smoked 4 cigarettes while watching the kids play.

~Signed,
MysticalMom (the big fat smoker whos insurance premiums aren't any higher than the non smokers in her genetically fat family)
But did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? :eyebrow:

Somdmommy

:Jeepin' in NC:
MysticalMom said:

~Signed,

:yay: Mmm sounds good!!!

Toxick

Splat
Pandora said:
Obesity is the #1 cause of death today

Can you provide a source for this fact, please?

I was fairly certain that heart disease and cancer were the leading killers.

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Somdmommy said:
I was just in there today too...I should have looked!!!

They aren't with the other strawberries..they have their own little table. The California strawberries are buy one get one free, a realgood deal. But there's just nothing like some big, red, sweet, juicy local berries.

Somdmommy

:Jeepin' in NC:
Toxick said:

Aww, to hell with it all, an orange will kill you in 10 years!

(dont ask I heard it somewhere and it made me laugh)

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Toxick said:

From the National Center For Health Statistics

Deaths Leading Causes for 2005
Number of deaths for leading causes of death

Heart Disease: 696,947

Cancer: 557,271

Stroke: 162,672

Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 124,816

Accidents (unintentional injuries): 106,742

Diabetes: 73,249

Influenza/Pneumonia: 65,681

Alzheimer's disease: 58,866

Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 40,974