Smokers to pay for public health insurance in Maryland?

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
vraiblonde said:
Doesn't it stand to reason, then, that if someone abandons their child or fails to provide for it, THEY (not the rest of us) should be taxed to kingdom come to pay for it?

Instead of taxpayers picking up the tab for neglected children with no adequate food, shelter or health care, why wouldn't we make the parent themselves pay for it? Garnish their wages or something.
I think we should ask JPC to join. He can shed some light on the neglected children issue.

dck4shrt

vraiblonde said:
Doesn't it stand to reason, then, that if someone abandons their child or fails to provide for it, THEY (not the rest of us) should be taxed to kingdom come to pay for it?

Instead of taxpayers picking up the tab for neglected children with no adequate food, shelter or health care, why wouldn't we make the parent themselves pay for it? Garnish their wages or something.

Oh we should track the bastards down and hold them accountable (and then some), that's for damn sure. But, I think if we can't find them, don't we bare some responsibility to care for innocent children who have no others means to provide for themselves?

Somdmommy

:Jeepin' in NC:
Its as easy as this....Everybody pays for someone elses crap sometime!!! Its part of being a tax payer. Who do you think pays for the people in jail, to have 3 meals a day, tv's and such!!!

I just wish people would get of the smokers backs about it.

Somdmommy

I have yet to hear anyone on here talk about our tax money going to the welfare people.

Fat lazy people who WONT go out and get a job, and just let the state pay to feed and shelter their 5 kids!!

ylexot

Super Genius
dck4shrt said:
Smokers only partially cover their smoking related disease treatments.
Here's a simple solution...don't cover smoking-related disease treatments. :shrug:

dck4shrt

Somdmommy said:
Its as easy as this....Everybody pays for someone elses crap sometime!!! Its part of being a tax payer. Who do you think pays for the people in jail, to have 3 meals a day, tv's and such!!!

I just wish people would get of the smokers backs about it.

We pay for people to be in jail so they are removed from society. The risk/reward of putting someone in jail is in our favor if it a) makes society safer and b) punishes the perpetrator. If one child is made safe by putting a perv behind bars the cost is inconsequential.

We've already made society safe from smokers (that's old news), now some citizens and all insurers (as a result of employee/employer pressure) want to make sure that they pay their fair share of medical costs via higher taxes, higher premiums, etc.

Somdmommy

ylexot said:
Here's a simple solution...don't cover smoking-related disease treatments. :shrug:
Yeah ok, before we go and do that, dont you think we should stop treating drug addicts?

Why would you take away the money to pay for smoking related treatments. When were also paying for Drug addicts to go to the hospital once a month to get treated?

dck4shrt

ylexot said:

I can see the litigation now...
Lawyer: "Dr., did this disease occur as a result of smoking?"
Doctor: "I can say with 99% certainty, yes, its from smoking."
Lawyer: "So there is a 1% chance its from huffing glue?"
Plaintiff: "Objection."
Lawyer: "No further questions."

Somdmommy

dck4shrt said:
We pay for people to be in jail so they are removed from society. The risk/reward of putting someone in jail is in our favor if it a) makes society safer and b) punishes the perpetrator. If one child is made safe by putting a perv behind bars the cost is inconsequential.

We've already made society safe from smokers (that's old news), now some citizens and all insurers (as a result of employee/employer pressure) want to make sure that they pay their fair share of medical costs via higher taxes, higher premiums, etc.
Ok, yeah, so why do they have TV? They dont need it they F**ked up let them go crazy!!!!

They should get nothing but food and time to go outside and that is it?

No books, no Tv no gym equipment....

ylexot

Super Genius
dck4shrt said:
I can see the litigation now...
Lawyer: "Dr., did this disease occur as a result of smoking?"
Doctor: "I can say with 99% certainty, yes, its from smoking."
Lawyer: "So there is a 1% chance its from huffing glue?"
Plaintiff: "Objection."
Lawyer: "No further questions."
Kill the lawyers :shrug:

Next problem...

ylexot

Super Genius
Somdmommy said:
Yeah ok, before we go and do that, dont you think we should stop treating drug addicts?

Why would you take away the money to pay for smoking related treatments. When were also paying for Drug addicts to go to the hospital once a month to get treated?
What treatment are they getting?

dck4shrt

Somdmommy said:
Ok, yeah, so why do they have TV? They dont need it they F**ked up let them go crazy!!!!

They should get nothing but food and time to go outside and that is it?

No books, no Tv no gym equipment....

Hey Hey Hey! That's not my call what they do and don't get to enjoy. I'd agree with you that they should not be given any comforts. All I said is it's worth the cost to remove them from society...if we can do it cheaper than we are now so be it.

Somdmommy

Your slice of the pie

The fiscal year 2004 federal budget is about $2 trillion. The spending in percentages this year looks like this:
26.2%—military
22.6%—interest on the debt
19%—health care
5.5%—income security
3.4%—veterans’ benefits
3.3%—education
2.5%—nutrition spending
1.6%—housing
1.6%—environment
11.4%—everything else

Looking at it a different way, if you had $1,500 deducted from your paychecks as an “income” tax and your tax dollars were directly applied to government expenses, your contributions by category would be:
$393—military
$339—interest on national debt
$285—healthcare
$83—income security
$51—veterans’ benefits
$48—education
$38—nutrition spending
$24—housing
$24—environmental protection
$216—everything else

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
$285—healthcare
Holy cow!!! And I pay my health insurance premiums on top of that!!!

:faint:

That's another question - are smokers less likely to carry health insurance? Is that why they're supposedly such a financial drain on society?

Somdmommy

vraiblonde said:
Holy cow!!! And I pay my health insurance premiums on top of that!!!

:faint:

That's another question - are smokers less likely to carry health insurance? Is that why they're supposedly such a financial drain on society?
I dont know? I have Health Insurance? My parents have it, so do my In laws (we all smoke)