Snakes

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
lady across the street saw a black snake in her yard and loaded her crawl space with mothballs.
She realized that was a bad idea the next day :killingme

Christy

b*tch rocket
I'd never kill a snake. I'll take them over mice any day. So if anyone needs to relocate their snakes, just drop em in my yard. :yay:

Mary866

I wish the snake in my kitchen had stuck around this winter to keep the mice out of my pantry, but I think he went to the shed since I have come across a few "skins" while getting boxes off the shelves.....waiting for him to drop on my head one day when I pull one of those boxes down

mingiz

Horse Poor
greyhound said:
I love the Water Moccasin sightings :lmao: (you can't convince people otherwise, even though they are just common water snakes)

It is illegal in the state of Maryland to kill any native snake...so any of you "Water Moccasin" sighters...I guess it would be ok to kill them, because they are not really here. :buttkick:

Maryland boasts 27 species and subspecies of snakes, only two of which are venomous. These are the timber rattlesnake and copperhead.

Protection Efforts
All native snakes in Maryland are protected by the Nongame and Endangered Species Conservation Act. This means that native snakes cannot be killed, possessed, bred, or sold without first acquiring the proper permit from the Department of Natural Resources. Additionally, Maryland requires a Captive Reptile and Amphibian Permit for the possession, breeding, and sale of native reptiles and amphibians in the state.

Remember, snakes are a part of our natural world and should be left there unharmed. They are fascinating creatures worthy of our respect and admiration. Please enjoy and help protect Maryland’s snakes and their habitats!

Checklist of the Snakes in Maryland

Common

Black Rat Snake (Elaphe obsoleta obsoleta)

Eastern Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis)

Eastern Hognose Snake (Heterodon platyrhinos)

Eastern Kingsnake (Lampropeltis getula getula)

Eastern Milk Snake (Lampropeltis triangulum triangulum)

Eastern Ribbon Snake (Thamnophis sauritus sauritus)

Eastern Worm Snake (Carphophis amoenus amoenus)

Northern Black Racer (Coluber constrictor constrictor)

Northern Brown Snake (Storeria dekayi dekayi)

Northern Copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen)

Northern Ringneck Snake (Diadophis punctatus edwardsi)

Northern Water Snake (Nerodia sipedon sipedon)

Rough Green Snake (Opheodrys aestivus)

Smooth Green Snake (Opheodrys vernalis vernalis)

Southern Ringneck Snake (Diadophis punctatus punctatus)

greyhound

mingiz said:
Maryland boasts 27 species and subspecies of snakes, only two of which are venomous. These are the timber rattlesnake and copperhead.

Protection Efforts
All native snakes in Maryland are protected by the Nongame and Endangered Species Conservation Act. This means that native snakes cannot be killed, possessed, bred, or sold without first acquiring the proper permit from the Department of Natural Resources. Additionally, Maryland requires a Captive Reptile and Amphibian Permit for the possession, breeding, and sale of native reptiles and amphibians in the state.

Remember, snakes are a part of our natural world and should be left there unharmed. They are fascinating creatures worthy of our respect and admiration. Please enjoy and help protect Maryland’s snakes and their habitats!

Common

Min...I have had people argue with me over the water moc. issue. I have directed them to the dept. of Natural Resources but they just won't believe that they are not in Maryland. I've explained that common water snakes will minic water mocs. They will even try to act aggressive. But oh well...people will believe what they want.

I

Inkpen

mingiz said:

Protection Efforts

Common

The voice of reason speaks!! Thank you!!
:yay:

I

Inkpen

Bushy23 said:
This is mostly me venting, but why do people in this area kill every snake they come across? I am from the midwest originally, and learned to respect nature in general. If we saw snakes, we gave them space and went on our way. While I am out fishing the charles county area lately, I always seem to come across headless or obviously murdered snakes. Brown snakes and black rat snakes. Is it just a tradition around here, or is it ignorant fear?? I just don't get it and it makes me sad to see these beautuful reptiles killed for no reason.

You got it: Ignorant fear.
Many peole feed the birds or have other food sorces in their yards.
Those attract mice, and they attract the snakes.
All is kept in balance, so it is a good thing.
But as you noted, stupid people harm and kill smart animals.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
greyhound said:
Min...I have had people argue with me over the water moc. issue. I have directed them to the dept. of Natural Resources but they just won't believe that they are not in Maryland. I've explained that common water snakes will minic water mocs. They will even try to act aggressive. But oh well...people will believe what they want.
:yeahthat: VA beach is about the northern limit of their range

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
We would never kill a snake. Even a copperhead. We've shown our children (many times) what a copperhead looks like and to respect their space, give them a wide berth, but never kill them.

While they respect snakes, my girls are not afraid of them. Daddy's kept too many as pets. And he kept the giants. It also helps that he will catch almost any kind of snake and bring it in to the house for them to learn about before he lets it's go. They don't call him the snake man for nothing. :lol:

We had a neighbor who had a little garter snake in her house last year and screamed so loud we thought she was being attacked. When we saw it was just a garter snake my 13 year old walked right over, picked it up and took it to the woods.

mingiz

Horse Poor
greyhound said:

When I was a kid I grew up on St Jeromes Crrek and we use to swim in it We saw a snakes swimmong also. Always thought it was a water moccasin but they weren't. But we still quit swimming in that part of the creek... My dad told me that thye were just water snakes. But to me a snake is a snake and I'm not afraid of them but I don't want to be around them either..... :lmao:

Bushy23

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that refrains from killing them! Even though I don't agree with killing them, I can at least understand wanting to keep copperheads away from little kids. But other kinds of snakes aren't dangerous. I'm sure hornets and bees are more of a risk. Yes, I have had other people warn me about "Water Moccasins" swimming my way. I would just try to assure them that they don't live in MD.

So I was fishing the mattawoman creek the other day and saw a 6 foot black rat snake! Biggest snake I have ever seen outside of a zoo.

55Chevy

Black snakes are the aggressive ones, but they aren't poisonous. Copperheads are the sluggish, timid kind, but their bite is nasty. They will practically let you walk on top of them before they move. Black snakes will CHASE you in the spring. I used to work for DNR and you got used to copperheads pretty fast.
Black snakes will keep the copperheads away.

Last edited by a moderator:
55Chevy said:
Black snakes are the aggressive ones, but they aren't poisonous. Copperheads are the sluggish, timid kind, but their bite is nasty. They will practically let you walk on top of them before they move. Black snakes will CHASE you in the spring. I used to work for DNR and you got used to copperheads pretty fast.
Black snakes will keep the copperheads away.
Isn't it about snake time?

oldman

Lobster Land
aps45819 said:
between VA beach and NC. Good ole' dismal swamp. cool place.
In the summer one of the duties was "snake watch" You got a flashlight and a stick and walked the sidewalk around the perimiter of the base. Your job was to flip snakes back into the woods.... or just walked into the woods and smoked a joint :whistle:

I was stationed at Northwest, Virginia Naval Base in the mid 60's which is surrounded by the Dismal Swamp. Went out in a boat fishing one day with friend and fell overboard. The only thought in my mind was snakes looking for lunch. Flipper could not have gotten back into the boat any faster than I did. Here in Waldorf I was collecting eggs from laying hens inside a coop with nests inside metal cages, all dark with no light to see. Reach in and feel something not like an egg. Black snake having breakfast. I get it out and take it a few hundred feet away. Next day that sucker was back so I had to take it more than just a few hundred feet away. I don't mind snakes if I know they are there, but I sure don't like unexpected surprises either.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ditto...

Oz said:
Here, I would only kill a copperhead.

I've relocated black snakes from one woodpile to another before. I'll take a non-poisonous snake guarding my house from the disgusting friggin mice every day!

My chick saw a snake on the front step at my house last week. :yay:

...that.

We pulled a freakin 6 footer (black) out of one of the tables in the greenhouse a few years ago and dumped his azz in the weeds.