Snow Emergency Plan in Effect Pls. Read

sunflower

Loving My Life...
Snow Emergency Plans
WHAT IS A SNOW EMERGENCY PLAN?
The Maryland State Police (MSP) declares snow emergencies with input from MD State Highway Administration. Once a snow emergency is declared, the law requires certain precautions.
They include:
  • Prohibited parking on roads and streets designated as snow emergency routes; and
  • The use of snow tires/chains (most cars now use all weather tires, so changing to "snow" tires is unnecessary);
Once an emergency is in effect, all requirements are in effect until lifted. A Snow Emergency Plan is put into effect by county. Certain exceptions can occur while a snow emergency plan is in effect. A specific route(s) can be lifted and the remainders of the roads in the county still remain under the Snow Emergency Plan. If the Statewide Operations Center is notified of an exception, we will note these routes as exceptions in our list below. For the most up to date information, it is advised to call the local MSP barrack for the county. http://www.mdsp.org/fob/barrack_choices.asp

Active Snow Emergencies

CountyDate / Time EffectiveExceptions
Allegany1/27/2009 3:00:00 AM
Calvert1/27/2009 9:00:00 AM
Caroline1/27/2009 9:30:00 AM
Carroll1/27/2009 8:30:00 AM
Charles1/27/2009 8:00:00 AM
Frederick1/27/2009 8:00:00 AM
Garrett1/27/2009 3:00:00 AM
Montgomery1/27/2009 7:00:00 AM Prince Georges1/27/2009 10:00:00 AM St Marys1/27/2009 9:00:00 AM

sunflower

Loving My Life...
So the snow emergency plan does NOT ask people to stay off of the roads?

That's correct. I thought only emerg. only was to be out... But your suppose to do what they ask of you...The use of snow tires/chains (most cars now use all weather tires, so changing to "snow" tires is unnecessary); Just stay home though!!

That's correct. I thought only emerg. only was to be out... But your suppose to do what they ask of you...The use of snow tires/chains (most cars now use all weather tires, so changing to "snow" tires is unnecessary); Just stay home though!!
How about near-bald all weather tires? Think I'll make it home in one piece? Think my Focus is gonna be doing more ice skating going around the beltway than Scott Hammill in Disney on Ice.

mmesser0

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!
How about near-bald all weather tires? Think I'll make it home in one piece? Think my Focus is gonna be doing more ice skating going around the beltway than Scott Hammill in Disney on Ice.

Good luck to you!!! Luckily, my tires have a wee little bit of tread left.. hopefully it's good enough.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

:lol:
I'd be willing to bet that you're doing a smidge better than my near-bald tires on the Ranger :jameo:
I made it to work...but just remember...2nd gear is your friend :lmao:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

Love child of Scott Hamilton and Dorothy Hamill? :confused:

Geek

:roflmao:

and Jazz's reply :roflmao:

rwethereyet

Yeah, okay.
How come I didn't see anything posted on the news section of somd.com or The Baynet about there being a Snow Emergency Plan in effect for St. Mary's? Did I miss it?

vbailey

vbailey
There has been heavy traffic on Rt 235 intersection Chancellars Run Road all day today, has not slowed down, I got to work at 7:15am and have been watching out the window most the day....Big trucks, delivery companies, cars, etc....has not stopped anyone out here...

vbailey

vbailey
Only 2 people from my office called in today to be out ,of well over 100 people.....it's been a very busy day....

misshelper

CHART On The Web

Active Snow Emergencies

County Date / Time Effective Exceptions

Allegany 1/27/2009 3:00:00 AM
Calvert 1/27/2009 9:00:00 AM

Caroline 1/27/2009 9:30:00 AM

Carroll 1/27/2009 8:30:00 AM

Charles 1/27/2009 8:00:00 AM

Frederick 1/27/2009 8:00:00 AM

Garrett 1/27/2009 3:00:00 AM

Montgomery 1/27/2009 7:00:00 AM

Prince Georges 1/27/2009 10:00:00 AM

St Marys 1/27/2009 9:00:00 AM

misshelper

The media should have posted it somewhere. If people don't read the forums or listen to the scanner, they wouldn't know. I told my husband there was one in effect and he said he didn't hear anything about it.

I don't know what to tell you. Can't please everyone. I posted a link with the active snow emergencies. :shrug:

Severa

Common sense ain't common
Dunno what that means, but my husband is still getting ready to head out to work and I'm a bit concerned about his drive, even if we do live just a few miles from the base.
Not that he can't drive in the stuff (we're from Kentucky. Used to a bit of snow are we) but it's EVERYONE ELSE that worries me...

misshelper

Dunno what that means, but my husband is still getting ready to head out to work and I'm a bit concerned about his drive, even if we do live just a few miles from the base.
Not that he can't drive in the stuff (we're from Kentucky. Used to a bit of snow are we) but it's EVERYONE ELSE that worries me...

What snow emergency plan means?