So...what are you reading lately?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Just my usual diet of history - currently 'The Perfect Horse' - the US end of war rescue of the lippizanners and other rare and priceless breeds of horses from both the Germans and Russians. Like The Monuments Men did for the art and historic buildings in Europe.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Just finished “Spy Master” by Brad Thor. Amazing book! Started it on Monday finished it today.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
YVW. I enjoyed it, mostly from the standpoint of seeing what made him tick. Fascinating.

I love celebrity biographies - the good dishy ones, not the ass kissing ones. It's interesting to see what makes these people tick.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Is this fiction?

Yes. But this story deals with NATO, Article 5, Russia pretty much h what you are seeing on the news. All the Thor books are great reads, they kept me going after my surgery a couple years ago.

stgislander

PREMO Member
My wife picked up 12 Strong (originally titled Horse Soldiers) for me to read on vacation. (I had the opportunity to watch the movie on my multiple trips overseas last month but passed on it.)

I'm about halfway through. Pretty good read, especially with regard to using 19th century tactics (horseback cavalry charges) to fight as one of the characters put it, "a 21st century war".

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I am reading one of my first reads from Amazon Prime called "A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea" by Masaji Ishikawa.

It's a true story about his life and ultimately his escape from North Korea in 1996. Absolutely terrifying and heartbreaking what he goes went through.

https://www.amazon.com/River-Darkness-Escape-North-Korea-ebook/dp/B06XKRKFZL

Finished reading this last night. Wow. An incredible story of the will to live and overcoming incredible odds. Love this quote by him:

“You don’t choose to be born. You just are. And your birth is your destiny, some say. I say the hell with that. And I should know. I was born not just once but five times. And five times I learned the same lesson. Sometimes in life, you have to grab your so-called destiny by the throat and wring its neck”

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
After that last book which was so heavy, I need something light and airy. So I picked out a book I had been meaning to get into from one of my favorite writers, Mary Roach, called "My Planet: Finding Humor in the Oddest Places." This is a lot different than Stiff as it is a collection of humorous short stories about everyday life a la Erma Bombeck and not about science but good none-the-less.

From acclaimed, New York Times best-selling author Mary Roach comes the complete collection of her “My Planet” articles published in Reader’s Digest. The quirky, brilliant author takes a magnifying glass to everyday life, exposing moments of hilarity in the mundane.

Best-selling author Mary Roach was a hit columnist in the Reader's Digest magazine, and this book features the articles she wrote in that time. Insightful and hilarious, Mary explores the ins and outs of the modern world: marriage, friends, family, food, technology, customer service, dental floss, and ants—she leaves no element of the American experience unchecked for its inherent paradoxes, pleasures, and foibles.

https://www.amazon.com/My-Planet-Fi...F8&qid=1534257898&sr=8-10&keywords=mary+roach

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The Peopling of Silicon Valley, 1940 to the Present Day: An Oral History

The Peopling of Silicon Valley, 1940 to the Present Day: An Oral History puts a human face on the Valley. It does not pretend to be a history of the entire Valley during this period or of the technology industries for which the place is now famous. This is a personal history of a cross section of the people who have settled here and of the place they call home with just enough of the technology story to make it interesting. The book encompasses the five major migrations to the Valley since World War II: the GIs, Lockheed, the chip makers, the minicomputer folks, and the software and web developers. Each is, if not the dominant group, at least a group representative of a particular period that lasted fifteen years or more. Each wave of people brought with it both increased economic prosperity and social change. This is their story, told as much as possible in their own words. Tim Stanley is the author of The Last of the Prune Pickers: A Pre-Silicon Valley Story, a popular local history. 350 pages, 70 photographs