Social media

Restitution

OK. You're wrong. :baby:

As based on?

You couldn't walk down the street for 5 minutes or even drive down the road 1 mile without seeing someone with their nose stuck in their cell phone checking social media.

Take any teenage girl with a cell phone and have them go without it for 48 hours. Just be sure to do it in a padded area.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
While you may be the RAREST of exceptions, I would dare you to have any teenager or hell... even some 30 y/o to do without their social media outlets for even 1 weekend. For a great deal of people, social media is not only their 'social life' it is almost their LIFE.

So do you include yourself in that group? Do you not post here on weekends? Is that what you're saying?

Because of course you know that these forums too are social media.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As based on?

You couldn't walk down the street for 5 minutes or even drive down the road 1 mile without seeing someone with their nose stuck in their cell phone checking social media.

Take any teenage girl with a cell phone and have them go without it for 48 hours. Just be sure to do it in a padded area.

Right, but this is just additional interaction - they still hang out with their friends in person. How you can tell is that they're constantly posting pics of the gang on Instagram.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I'm noticing a distinct decline in social media interest/participation. Not just on these forums, but on Facebook, Twitter, and to a lesser degree Instagram. Are we just getting bored with constant communication or is there some new trend I haven't heard of?

I see younger people - young adults, that is - on their phones ALL THE TIME but the young people I'm FB friends with and follow on Twitter/Instagram have greatly reduced their number of posts in the last few months. Is anyone else noticing that or is it just me?

On my days off, I commonly don't even get online anymore and often, don't even pick up my cell phone.

I think I have gotten to a point in my life where I don't want to be reachable 24/7 and find I am disconnecting. For many years, I felt the frustration build always being reachable especially where my employer is concern. They would even bug me on vacation filling my head with burdens I couldn't deal with until I got back to work. I had a long conversation with several of my friends last year about this when one of my friends was struggling with his employer constantly bugging him on his time off.

My boys (17 & 20 years old) use snapchat a lot and also webcam with friends. It is odd as a parent these days because my boys never used our house phone. When we were growing up in the 70, 80 and 90's, we used the snot out of the house phone. My dad had to break the line a few times just to talk to my mom. :whistle:

littlelady

God bless the USA
You spelled that last word wrong.

Batch or bitch, what is the difference? There is none. It is called opinions. It is how a forum rolls, or there would be no forums ever in the existence of man. Or, are you saying there are two categories? Only certain views are accepted? I have always loved your posts, but you threw me for a loop. If I missed the humor, that is my bad on my part. Just wondering.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My point is that a great deal of people, mostly today's youth, are constantly tethered to their cell phones and couldn't go very long without it. Especially the access to social media. Does that help?

And I agree with you. But they are also all over each other in person as well. The cell addiction is just in addition to the physical hanging out, as in these kids are in a state of constant communication that we didn't do when we were kids.

Restitution

And I agree with you. But they are also all over each other in person as well. The cell addiction is just in addition to the physical hanging out, as in these kids are in a state of constant communication that we didn't do when we were kids.

If, by this, you mean sitting in close proximity to each other (as in a restaurant or movie theater) and all of them using their phones to text each other or to check Facebook... then I concur.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If, by this, you mean sitting in close proximity to each other (as in a restaurant or movie theater) and all of them using their phones to text each other or to check Facebook... then I concur.

That's to keep in touch with the friends who aren't there. Seriously, kids are all up each other these days and all about their friends. It's constant and relentless. I don't know why parents put up with it except it means they don't have to actually interact with the kid.

SamSpade

Batch or bitch, what is the difference? There is none. It is called opinions. It is how a forum rolls, or there would be no forums ever in the existence of man. Or, are you saying there are two categories? Only certain views are accepted? I have always loved your posts, but you threw me for a loop. If I missed the humor, that is my bad on my part. Just wondering.

I wasn't being specific - just having a little fun with Vrai.

Restitution

That's to keep in touch with the friends who aren't there. Seriously, kids are all up each other these days and all about their friends. It's constant and relentless. I don't know why parents put up with it except it means they don't have to actually interact with the kid.

My point is that these kids are "all up with each other and all about their friends" constantly on their phones... right?

So, what about the people that are being ignored who are actually in their presence? You know, while their "friend" has their nose buried in their cell phone.

I think we mostly agree. Just have different view points. :buddies: