Speed Too Great For Conditions

S

scupper trout

vraiblonde said:
I have slid on ice while going 10 mph. Really. I tapped my brakes and zing!

Accidents happen. They just do.

I have to agree. I grew up in Buffalo, NY and was staioned for some time in Maine and New England. It's not always just a matter of the speed you are driving, road conditions and other drivers but just plain bad luck. I am very sorry for the victims and their families of the crash and my prayers and condolenses are with them.

I drop my speed while driving during bad weather around here due to the fact that the road crews just aren't up to doing the roads the way they do up North. All this being said, not always, but sometimes someone is less than a car-length behind me or I observe some else being tailgated waaaayy too close. Formula for a crash right there.

I know that at times in Buffalo (although the weather here is in no way the norm of a standard Buffalo winter) that the police will issue a driving ban. That is, if they catch you on the road, and you don't have a very, very, valid reason for being on the road (snowmobiles excluded) for driving (fieman, doctor, nurse, etc.) you go to jail for a night or two until the weather breaks.

Just adding to the thread. Prayers to the victims and families.

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
From the Maryland Code (Title 21, subtitle 8 - 21-801):

(h) Special dangers as to pedestrians or other traffic.- Consistent with the requirements of this section, the driver of a vehicle shall drive at an appropriate, reduced speed when any special danger exists as to pedestrians or other traffic or because of weather or highway conditions.
If the powers that be determine that speed was a factor, then he didn't need to be speeding (driving above the posted limit) to cause the accident. I don't think anyone is saying he was hell-bent-for-leather going down the road...just that he might have been going too fast for conditions.

Bogart

vraiblonde said:
Well, had I not tapped my brakes, I'd have rear ended the car in front of me.
Because your speed was too great for conditions, right? I'm just seeing if we can establish that if you lose control of your car for reasons other than mechanical failure, chances are pretty good that you were probably going too fast for conditions. This is regardless of how well you knew the victim or were offended by some asshat with a press pass.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Voter2002 said:
From the Maryland Code (Title 21, subtitle 8 - 21-801):

If the powers that be determine that speed was a factor, then he didn't need to be speeding (driving above the posted limit) to cause the accident. I don't think anyone is saying he was hell-bent-for-leather going down the road...just that he might have been going too fast for conditions.
WELL SAID!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I got a "failure to Maintain Control" ticket form the German police.. single vehicle, farmer left mud in the road the day before.. put my BADAZZ Omni in the ditch, and yes, if Neons can be BADAZZ then so can an Omni!! THough if I still had the car I would take on ANY of these Neonphradites..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bogart said:
Because your speed was too great for conditions, right?
Um, no. The car in front of me tapped his brakes, I guess to avoid rear ending the car in front of him, and I tapped my brakes in response to that. I was at least two car lengths behind him, maybe more because I like to keep my distance.

So I guess you could say that my speed was too great for conditions (having a car in front of me tap their brakes). But had I not tapped my own brakes, then my speed DEFINITELY would have been too great for conditions. If that makes any sense. I don't know a whole lot about cars but I DO know that you're not supposed to go faster than the car in front of you.

Bogart

vraiblonde said:
Um, no. The car in front of me tapped his brakes, I guess to avoid rear ending the car in front of him, and I tapped my brakes in response to that. I was at least two car lengths behind him, maybe more because I like to keep my distance.

So I guess you could say that my speed was too great for conditions (having a car in front of me tap their brakes). But had I not tapped my own brakes, then my speed DEFINITELY would have been too great for conditions. If that makes any sense. I don't know a whole lot about cars but I DO know that you're not supposed to go faster than the car in front of you.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I've said what I wanted to say.

D

dems4me

vraiblonde said:
I have slid on ice while going 10 mph. Really. I tapped my brakes and zing!

Accidents happen. They just do.

can you add this to the karma comment I just sent you too!! Thanks :killingme:

vraiblonde said:
Ummmm... you were going 10 miles an hour, had at least two car lengths between you and the car in front and you had to 'tap' your breaks to avoid rear-ending him and ended up sliding...:confused: but then again, you never did say whether or not alcohol was a factor...:lmao:

j/k :huggy: :luvumeanit: :badbogiepickingonmommy: :nono:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
kwillia said:
Ummmm... you were going 10 miles an hour, had at least two car lengths between you and the car in front and you had to 'tap' your breaks to avoid rear-ending him and ended up sliding...:confused:
You know, it didn't seem like that big of a deal at the time. When I see brake lights light up on the car in front of me, my first instinct is to tap my own brakes.

:confused:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
vraiblonde said:
You know, it didn't seem like that big of a deal at the time. When I see brake lights light up on the car in front of me, my first instinct is to tap my own brakes.

:confused:

Ohhhhh, so you're one of those drivers..... :twitch: