ST. MARY'S HOSPITAL

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Kind of ridiculous that a bag of salt-water costs $45 though.
Just got the statement from Medicare/BC/BS for a 'well being' visit medicare wants for anyone over 65. Visit with the doc was 15, maybe 20 minutes. Other than the lung check, nothing else physical, just a bunch of questions. Didn't even have blood work to go over.

$795.

Clem72

Just got the statement from Medicare/BC/BS for a 'well being' visit medicare wants for anyone over 65. Visit with the doc was 15, maybe 20 minutes. Other than the lung check, nothing else physical, just a bunch of questions. Didn't even have blood work to go over.

$795.
Was it in their office, or in the hospital. Either way it's BS, but in the hospital the doctor will be lucky to by a lunch with his/her share of that money.

Clem72

I had an anethesiologist try to charge $20k for putting me under conscious sedation for a 10 minute procedure. Insurance wouldn't cover it. Called his "office" and they said "just send us the $400 check your insurance sends for out-of-network coverage".

So what's the deal, is your time worth $20k or $400? I can't think of any other industry where I can just make up prices with no relation to reality and not even tell the customer up front.

Oh yeah, that oil change will be $1000. Sorry, if you happened to have a AAA card I would only charge you $19.99, but them's the breaks. Speaking of breaks, we can do your's for $79,999.00 this week only.

slowlane

If you want to talk greed, how about SMECO's CEO being paid over $616,373 on revenues of $459,796,369 which is 2.8340607% of revenues. Which is an astounding 7072.87% higher, relative to revenue, than MedSatr's CEO's pay relative to revenue. And you personally get to provide this CEO, monthly, through your electric bill, your portion of her pay. Now don't you feel better knowing that?
Einstein...... your calculations regarding SMECO are off by a factor of MANY times.
2.834% of $459,796,369 would be $13,030,629.
If SMECO CEO's earnings are $616,373 as your post says, then that's not 2.834%, but instead only 0.134053472% (roughly 1/750) of $459,796,369.

Last edited:

slowlane

I am told that Fairfax Inova is the best place to go for anything major. They are NOT part of the Medstar group! St. Mary's Hospital nearly screams at you and almost "threatens you" if you tell them you or your loved one wants to go to a hospital outside of "Medstar". One guy I used to work with was in the hospital. He heard me in the hallway when my Mother in Law was in the hospital in a nearby room. He said "Don't go to Washington Hospital Center!!! They will kill you"!!! His screaming was so out of character for him I had to calm him down.

Even if they fix you up at either Washington Hospital Center, Georgetown, University of Maryland or John Hopkins, if you step out of the door at any of these hospitals, you have the potential of getting robbed or killed. Not good neighborhoods to say the least. And a horrible drive on top of that!!
Huh? Georgetown is not a safe neighborhood?

I'm sure that current V.I.P. residents Bob Woodward, John Kerry, Robert Mueller, and Max Baucus would be surprised to hear that.

slowlane

I am told that Fairfax Inova is the best place to go for anything major. They are NOT part of the Medstar group! St. Mary's Hospital nearly screams at you and almost "threatens you" if you tell them you or your loved one wants to go to a hospital outside of "Medstar". One guy I used to work with was in the hospital. He heard me in the hallway when my Mother in Law was in the hospital in a nearby room. He said "Don't go to Washington Hospital Center!!! They will kill you"!!! His screaming was so out of character for him I had to calm him down.

Even if they fix you up at either Washington Hospital Center, Georgetown, University of Maryland or John Hopkins, if you step out of the door at any of these hospitals, you have the potential of getting robbed or killed. Not good neighborhoods to say the least. And a horrible drive on top of that!!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Einstein...... your calculations regarding SMECO are off by a factor of MANY times.
2.834% of $459,796,369 would be $13,030,629. If SMECO CEO's earnings are $616,373 as your post says, then that's not 2.834%, but instead only 0.134053472% (roughly 1/750) of $459,796,369.
Well now. It appears I stand corrected. My maths is a bit rusty I reckon. But SMECO's CEO is still paid more as a percentage of revenue than the Medstar CEO.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Yes it has. Listen to those people. They are all about the money now to the point that many doctors won't CAN'T make rounds for their patients there.

Mommy Dearest threatened to check herself out the last time she was admitted. She's told me that if she has to go to a hospital, bypass St. Mary's and take her to Calvert.
Making rounds, visiting your patients is a "privilege" and unless they agree to comply with MEDSTAR they could be restricted.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
St Mary's Hospital was great. They did an assessment, quickly, kept him while in touch with Wash Hosp, then flew him up there.

When it really counts, they are on it.

OldHillcrestGuy

St Mary's Hospital was great. They did an assessment, quickly, kept him while in touch with Wash Hosp, then flew him up there.

When it really counts, they are on it.
Did you drive him to the ER or did he go by ambo? If by ambo with the distance that he fell surprised they didn't request to be flown out. Its usually anything double your height its a nice flight up the road. It does seem lately that when a request for a flyout is asked for, SYSCOM who the dispatchers goes through for approval have been denying a lot of the requests. There are several categories' of injuries or medical emergencies , 1, 2 or 3. Seems since the trauma center in PG has moved, maybe 10 minutes closer and maybe 5-6 miles closer to SOMD that maybe the time it takes to launch the helo and load the patient the ambo could get there about the same time.

3CATSAILOR

You will be surprised to know that the Calvert county residents come to st Mary’s med star and say the exact same things about Calvert hospital.
Essentially that means we don't have any decent medical care in the entire Southern Maryland area. It's pretty sad to say. However, they are very good at billing people.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

Essentially that means we don't have any decent medical care in the entire Southern Maryland area. It's pretty sad to say. However, they are very good at billing people.
I'm thinking it's time people start doing what is necessary to bring their bodies back into a state of proper homeostasis by way of a proper, (no processed foods, sugars, or refined carbohydrates), diet and simple regular exercise such as daily walking 3-4 miles to allay the need for any medical care related to body inflammations and certain cancers caused by the Western diet. Simple, but effective.

3CATSAILOR

I'm thinking it's time people start doing what is necessary to bring their bodies back into a state of proper homeostasis by way of a proper, (no processed foods, sugars, or refined carbohydrates), diet and simple regular exercise such as daily walking 3-4 miles to allay the need for any medical care related to body inflammations and certain cancers caused by the Western diet. Simple, but effective.
Very good point and quite accurate.