ST. MARY'S HOSPITAL

thurley42

HY;FR
I've been to St Mary's ER, as a companion, many times over the last few yrs. They have mostly been ho-hum, you-coulda-gone-to-urgent-care, and that's exactly the type of care my family members received.

When we went in last week with hubby having a blood clot and blue toes, those people MOVED. Room full of people keeping an eye on him, bypassed pre-op and right to surgery.

I was super impressed.
I hope he's ok!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Then it shouldn't be called St Mary's HOSPITAL. It should be called St Mary's Urgent Care Plus
It is a HOSPITAL, it has in-patient as well as out-patient services and it holds a designations as a Level III Trauma Center. With level III they have demonstrated an ability to provide prompt assessment, resuscitation, surgery, intensive care and stabilization of injured patients and emergency operations. Quite a bit different then a Urgent Care facility.

OccamsRazor

It is a HOSPITAL, it has in-patient as well as out-patient services and it holds a designations as a Level III Trauma Center. With level III they have demonstrated an ability to provide prompt assessment, resuscitation, surgery, intensive care and stabilization of injured patients and emergency operations. Quite a bit different then a Urgent Care facility.
Then why is it that quite a lot of surgeries and trauma victims have to be flown out? Can they not attract enough or the proper surgeons? Can they not handle a lot of the trauma levels that occur?
Just wondering why so many people have to be redirected up north...

phreddyp

Then why is it that quite a lot of surgeries and trauma victims have to be flown out? Can they not attract enough or the proper surgeons? Can they not handle a lot of the trauma levels that occur?
Did you read KK's post, if you did what part DID you understand?

OccamsRazor

Did you read KK's post, if you did what part DID you understand?
Did understand: SMH is classified as a hospital and they are a L3 trauma center.
Didn't get answered: Why do they seem to not be able to handle a lot of the surgeries and traumas that occur? Why don't they make necessary changes to handle these surgeries and traumas that get redirected?

So basically, I got a definition. NOT and answer to my question(s)

phreddyp

Did understand: SMH is classified as a hospital and they are a L3 trauma center.
Didn't get answered: Why do they seem to not be able to handle a lot of the surgeries and traumas that occur? Why don't they make necessary changes to handle these surgeries and traumas that get redirected?

Same reason you don't get a engine rebuild at Midas muffler, even though they work on cars.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
What exactly do you expect a somewhat rural hospital's staff to cover? Should they have a neonatal neurosurgeon on staff?

mitzi

Just because you believe you know everything about everything and are unwilling to admit that you may not be as informed as you believe yourself to be doesn't make you an expert on every topic known to humanity.
But since you seem to be the expert on EVERTHING... do enlighten us "know nothings" on how the medical system works everywhere in this country... I'll wait :coffee:

Have you ever worked in a hospital?

mitzi

What exactly do you expect a somewhat rural hospital's staff to cover? Should they have a neonatal neurosurgeon on staff?

He doesn't have a clue.

sunshine98

Ended up in St. Mary's ER this summer. Wasn't crowded and I received the care I needed. However, the only staff that provided more than the minimum of human engagement were the intake/triage lady and the wheelchair transport gentleman. The attending nurse, could not be bothered to talk to me or explain anything she was doing - I was lucky to be barely lucid enough to ask. The doctor, when she *finally* came in to see me, was just perfunctory. I felt like a piece of meat most of the time.

mitzi

Cardiac bypasses, brain surgery, severe burn victims, the list goes on. All 4 local hospitals in the region fly these patients out. If I had to have bypass, I'd rather go to a hospital with a cardiac surgeon who performs this all day, every day.

phreddyp

Cardiac bypasses, brain surgery, severe burn victims, the list goes on. All 4 local hospitals in the region fly these patients out. If I had to have bypass, I'd rather go to a hospital with a cardiac surgeon who performs this all day, every day.
You would have to be a total moron not to understand that, I spent over 2 weeks interviewing cardiac nurses and patients before I had my bypass done at WHC. Glad I did I was in and out in four days with a quintuple bypass. Still kicking too.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

Short answer is that it has nothing to do with attracting or not the needed staff. The State of Maryland through the Maryland Health Care Commission decides what services are offered at what hospitals as well as how many beds will be authorized among other things.

Last edited: