St. Mary's Sheriff's race, who are you...

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
JohnnyReb said:
I take it you have never spoken to the two individuals personally?

I take it I know enough people who have worked with and for both of them to know :yay:

And since I dont like either of them, I dont think I will be voting for any candidate... And therefore, I will continue with my own home security practices :yay:

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
JohnnyReb said:
.... keep in mind, the office of Sheriff does not make the firearms laws, they enforce them. Be cognizant of Maryland gun law and follow it accordingly.

Gee thanks for the Civics lesson.

misslady67

Softballkid said:
And since I dont like either of them, I dont think I will be voting for any candidate... And therefore, I will continue with my own home security practices :yay:

Now that's the smartest thing I've heard someone say in a long time. :flowers: The truth is NOBODY should vote blindly and if you don't like the candidates...don't vote in that category.

R

residentofcre

You can also vote for absolutely no one too. Your vote will count as a no vote.

misslady67

JohnnyReb said:
To suggest the SDFC Somerville should be in ANY administrative office, is ludicrous. He has NO administrative expirence at all and people want him to be SHERIFF?

He is a good Deputy and a good person. However he is not ready to be Sheriff of our county.

I may agree with you to to some degree. BUT how in the heck can ANY monirity gain administrative experience when the elected Sheriffs refuse to have them in office :elaine: So....if we elect Cameron (and yes I have spoken to him and continue to do my research on his stands) we MAY be setting ourselves up this trend to continue. The NAACP not only addressed this exact issue with Zylak about blacks...but ALL minorities. Now, what will Cameron do to address the inequality of promotion opportunities...well I have not read JACK from him on this topic. That is concerning...we have qualified deputies that have been passed up time and time again. Women, and all ethnicities (what few we have currently have in St. Mary's County).

Pete

Repete
misslady67 said:
I may agree with you to to some degree. BUT how in the heck can ANY monirity gain administrative experience when the elected Sheriffs refuse to have them in office :elaine: So....if we elect Cameron (and yes I have spoken to him and continue to do my research on his stands) we MAY be setting ourselves up this trend to continue. The NAACP not only addressed this exact issue with Zylak about blacks...but ALL minorities. Now, what will Cameron do to address the inequality of promotion opportunities...well I have not read JACK from him on this topic. That is concerning...we have qualified deputies that have been passed up time and time again. Women, and all ethnicities (what few we have currently have in St. Mary's County).
So you are saying the ethnicity of the candidate trumps performance potential? Vote Sommerville, he's the black guy! :patriot:

Pete

Repete
misslady67 said:
WRONG...did you READ my post??? :killingme Try AGAIN
I read it, it seems you are wanking primarily about minority promotion opportunities. How do you know Sommerville will promote blacks and minorities faster than Cameron or Zylak?

See I believe that the supervisors who deal with these people every day, who know their weaknesses and strengths are in a much better position to determine the promotabiliy of a deputy more than some jackass from NAACP headquarters. To the NAACP guy the candidates ONLY qualification is that they are black.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Before this goes too far down the path...For the relative newbies to the area, St. Mary's has had a black sheriff, Joe Somerville. He was pretty well liked and supported by his officers. We didn't have half the crime then that we do now, but then again we didn't have this huge influx of transplants either.
Just wanted it on the record that the "good ol boy" network we grew up in was supportive of a minority sheriff.

misslady67

Pete said:
I read it, it seems you are wanking primarily about minority promotion opportunities. How do you know Sommerville will promote blacks and minorities faster than Cameron or Zylak?

See I believe that the supervisors who deal with these people every day, who know their weaknesses and strengths are in a much better position to determine the promotabiliy of a deputy more than some jackass from NAACP headquarters. To the NAACP guy the candidates ONLY qualification is that they are black.

First...this is not a black thing....let's just set that straight. If you think that the NAACP is only concerned for blacks...you're uneducated. :killingme Second, there have been MANY qualified applicants (regardless of race, ethnicity, sex, ect.) that have applied for promotions in St. Mary's County and have been looked over for "good ole boys". I have close friends who work as deputies in this county and they share the same complaint...)the new deputies and the ones that have been on the force for years say the same thing), it's all in who you know and kiss up to. NOT KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE. So...just how do you suggest that that the BEST person get the job and gain experience IF the mentality of the people who hold the power positions doesn't change???

misslady67

Pete said:

This topic was discussed and both candidates had an opportunity to respond at the Q/A last week. I base MY opinion on THEIR responses to the questions. What about you?

misslady67

bresamil said:
Before this goes too far down the path...For the relative newbies to the area, St. Mary's has had a black sheriff, Joe Somerville.

Just wanted it on the record that the "good ol boy" network we grew up in was supportive of a minority sheriff.

Ok...obviously you don't know the whole story. Joe Somerville assumed the role of Sheriff because the Sheriff at that time commited suicide NOT because he was ELECTED :howdy:

Pete

Repete
misslady67 said:
First...this is not a black thing....let's just set that straight. If you think that the NAACP is only concerned for blacks...you're uneducated. :killingme Second, there have been MANY qualified applicants (regardless of race, ethnicity, sex, ect.) that have applied for promotions in St. Mary's County and have been looked over for "good ole boys". I have close friends who work as deputies in this county and they share the same complaint...)the new deputies and the ones that have been on the force for years say the same thing), it's all in who you know and kiss up to. NOT KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE. So...just how do you suggest that that the BEST person get the job and gain experience IF the mentality of the people who hold the power positions doesn't change???
Uneducated? I hardly think so but whatever makes you feel better about your position. :shrug:

The NAACP does not stand for the National Association for the Advancement of Caucasian People, nor does it stand for National Association for the Advancement of Chicano People. Regardless of what they claim, it has always been about advancing blacks, not that that is a bad thing. Take a peak at their past and present leadership. Not Kweisi Mfume, Julian Bond, William Gibson, Roslyn Bock, nor Bruce Gordon's middle names are "Ernesto". If you take a scan through the list of the 64 directors of the NAACP only 1 name even sounds hispanic and it turns out she is not. It seems to me for an organization that is all about promoting the advancement of "minorities" they skip quite a few.

"I have close friends :blahblah:" What a crock of crap. You have friends who have an agenda. I have an agenda, you have an agenda, everyone has an agenda. If I had a buck for every goober who claimed social injustice based on what their "close friend" said or "Some one I know got screwed" I would be rich and might even be the chairman of the NAACP. :rolleyes:

You are just like me in that you have no clue why so and so didn't make Seargent. I chose to give the Sheriff's office the benefit of the doubt, you chose to gulp NAACP koolaide and believe it is rampant racism.

Pete

Repete
SAHRAB said:
What flavor was it?
First you take some dark chocolate, then you add some white milk..... Oops, sorry that was from a different race baiter that I have not hear Julian Bond or Bruce Gordon denounce:rolleyes:

misslady67

Pete said:
Uneducated? I hardly think so but whatever makes you feel better about your position. :shrug:

The NAACP does not stand for the National Association for the Advancement of Caucasian People, nor does it stand for National Association for the Advancement of Chicano People. Regardless of what they claim, it has always been about advancing blacks, not that that is a bad thing. Take a peak at their past and present leadership. Not Kweisi Mfume, Julian Bond, William Gibson, Roslyn Bock, nor Bruce Gordon's middle names are "Ernesto". If you take a scan through the list of the 64 directors of the NAACP only 1 name even sounds hispanic and it turns out she is not. It seems to me for an organization that is all about promoting the advancement of "minorities" they skip quite a few.

"I have close friends :blahblah:" What a crock of crap. You have friends who have an agenda. I have an agenda, you have an agenda, everyone has an agenda. If I had a buck for every goober who claimed social injustice based on what their "close friend" said or "Some one I know got screwed" I would be rich and might even be the chairman of the NAACP. :rolleyes:

You are just like me in that you have no clue why so and so didn't make Seargent. I chose to give the Sheriff's office the benefit of the doubt, you chose to gulp NAACP koolaide and believe it is rampant racism.

I'm sooooo glad that we have different opinions. That means that we don't think alike :lmao: Again...you seem to be trying to make this a race issue and it's not :bigwhoop:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
misslady67 said:
To ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of all citizens

http://www.naacp.org/about/mission/

Like I said get educated on an organization before you speak.

Here's YOUR education:

I can read.

to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination.

Why'd you leave the last part out? :dork: