St. Mary's Teacher Charged With Sexual Assault

ThayerP

Originally posted by http
I think that's a little different than what we are talking about.

Sorry, I had to drop out of this yesterday. Wife had a Dr.'s appt.

Anyway, http, you keep digging the hole deeper and deeper that your putting yourself into. The comparison between BBBS and teachers is almost exactly the same. Any teacher will tell you that they are trained and taught how to deal with councilling a child in times of trouble. This is a part of their job. They are BBBS as well but not to a larger number of children. They shape a large portion of the children's life. To say that BBBS is different is not a good rebutal. The only difference in this situation is that the teacher is teaching as well as being the BBBS.

The crux of this whole discussion comes down to one thing:

"Yoou can fool some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you CANNOT fool all the people all the time."

This guy had everybody fooled and the some of the time ran out on him and he got caught. Plain and simple. It was no fault of the parents, it was no fault of the BOE and it was no fault of the child.

IF the BOE keeps this guy after all the due process is completed and he is found to be guilty (regardless of wherther I think he is or not it is not my place to be judge, jury and executioner), then it is a problem of the BOE.

If the parents allow the child to continue with the friendship, then they are idiots indeed.

If the child wishes to continue the relationship, then...well, that's a whole other thread.

http

Everything you said above is fine, I agree except one thing.

"Any teacher will tell you that they are trained and taught how to deal with councilling a child in times of trouble. This is a part of their job."

I doubt this. But I have the dubious honor of getting a first-class answer for you.

I am asking a very qualified person right now via email, who is very high-up in the Alternative Schools program in one of Maryland's top Counties. She is a Phd in Education (which is consequently called a E-d-H-d-e or something like that), has been a teacher all her life, a counselor, VP and Principal too, all in the Maryland school system.

If you are right, you are right, I will leave it at that, because I have no idea what she is going to say. I will post her response back to me regardless.

She is a bit slow though (I know her well, she is my mother), so you'll have to wait.

http

Here is my mother's answer. If you would like her credentials, I may make them vaguely to you, but I would prefer not, you understand I am sure. Lets just assume she is WELL qualified on this topic.

-----------------------------------------------------

Stepped away from the desk for a moment -- the answer "no" -- although some teachers would take that step, I as a principal, would actually recommend that teachers stay away
from counseling students in such personal matters dealing with home life --- most often counselors are available at the school, therefore the teacher should immediately
refer the student to the counselor's office and to the principal if the counselor is unavailable. Sometimes the school nurse takes on that role - but certainly the teacher
can get in to some possible backlash for offering advice or addressing such issues.

---------------------------------------------------------

I am in a debate with someone. Tell me this. If a child comes to a teacher to get advise because their parents are getting a divorce, is the average elementary school teach
qualified to counsel the child?

ThayerP

Everything you said above is fine, I agree except one thing.

"Any teacher will tell you that they are trained and taught how to deal with councilling a child in times of trouble. This is a part of their job."

I doubt this. But I have the dubious honor of getting a first-class answer for you.

I am asking a very qualified person right now via email, who is very high-up in the Alternative Schools program in one of Maryland's top Counties. She is a Phd in Education (which is consequently called a E-d-H-d-e or something like that), has been a teacher all her life, a counselor, VP and Principal too, all in the Maryland school system.

If you are right, you are right, I will leave it at that, because I have no idea what she is going to say. I will post her response back to me regardless.

She is a bit slow though (I know her well, she is my mother), so you'll have to wait.

I'll accept that. Never dispute the words of a mother. :smile:

ThayerP

Here is my mother's answer. If you would like her credentials, I may make them vaguely to you, but I would prefer not, you understand I am sure. Lets just assume she is WELL qualified on this topic.

-----------------------------------------------------

Stepped away from the desk for a moment -- the answer "no" -- although some teachers would take that step, I as a principal, would actually recommend that teachers stay away
from counseling students in such personal matters dealing with home life --- most often counselors are available at the school, therefore the teacher should immediately
refer the student to the counselor's office and to the principal if the counselor is unavailable. Sometimes the school nurse takes on that role - but certainly the teacher
can get in to some possible backlash for offering advice or addressing such issues.

---------------------------------------------------------

I am in a debate with someone. Tell me this. If a child comes to a teacher to get advise because their parents are getting a divorce, is the average elementary school teach
qualified to counsel the child?

O.K. Let's agree on a nice middle ground on this then. There are staff in the schools to deal with these types of councilling situations. These staff may be teachers or counselors. Maybe not every teacher, but certainly some. For example, you said your mom "has been a teacher all her life, a counselor, VP and Principal too, all in the Maryland school system." which would support our middle ground on this issue.

We do not know from this article if the teacher was in a role of councellor/teacher or not when he was dealing with the student. Whatever was done, he covered up the fact that he was a child molestor to obtain access to children. Chose the vulnerable ones and preyed on them. When all the facts come out I'm sure there will be much clearer picture of what happened. True?