St. Mary's teachers want to "work to rule"

awpitt

Main Streeter
Oh for pity's sake.... :blahblah: about teachers being off... Teachers are contracted to work for 190 days a year. Whine about snow days all you want, but they have to be made up and kids get out plenty of days teacher don't, but the contract is for 190 days. Their salary is based on that 190 days. The agreement made between the teachers and the school board is for 190 days of work. Whine all you want about how they get off so much time and how they are getting over on the system, but everyone who signed that contract knew it was for 190 days of work.

Now does anyone know a teacher who grades papers on the weekend or in the evening? If you don't, you live in a cave and never went to school. They all do. I know a teacher who took the family on a camping trip that they'd been looking forward to for months and spent time grading papers in front of the tent, while the rest of the family went off and had fun. I know a teacher who used his personal vehicle hauling mulch for a school fundraiser all weekend a couple of weeks ago. Not only did he do 2 days of physical labor for free, it cost him $100 in gas and the money from the fundraiser was earmarked for a program that had nothing to do with his department and his classroom wouldn't benefit from.

So those of you who want to ##### about teachers taking too much time off, follow a teacher around for a while and see what you think.

Yep. My Mom is a retired teacher. Growing up, I can hardly remember any nights when she didn't bring some sort of school related work home. As far as summers, she may not have been in the classroom during the summer but she was engaged in some sort of job related stuff during the summer.

I don't understand why people are so upset about the teachers wanting to "work to the rule" as a show of protest. I personally don't think the teachers should do ANYTHING outside of their contractual obligations. It's no different with any of the people complaining. I wonder how they would feel if their employer told them they had to work additional hours, or perform duties which are outside of what they were hired for?

What fantasy world do you live in?

terbear1225

Really, it appears by your statement you don't know what your talking about. I know first hand what i'm talking about.

bohman lives with a teacher and sees exactly what the job calls for outside of the classroom on a dialy basis.

what exactly is your first hand experience?

DonWood

I am a middle school teacher in St. Mary’s County where I have taught 6th through 8th grades over the past 11 years. My husband read me the comment at the beginning of the thread and I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Some of the comments throughout the forum were supportive of teachers and it made me feel good to know that there are individuals out there who understand what the profession of teaching is all about. I would never say that it is an easy job, nor would I belabor the issues that make some days a struggle to get through. I do, however, feel the need to address some of the ideas expressed throughout the nine pages of comments.

I feel that, all things considered, I receive an acceptable paycheck. I, along with my husband, who is an electrician, am able to provide for my family, afford to buy a house, own two cars as well as an RV, and have the ability to take my two children on various short trips and vacations. I am by no means wealthy, but I am definitely blessed with a job that I love and the means to live in a way that makes me happy. I also receive health benefits that combined with my husband’s ensure that my family has the healthcare we need. Do I think that I receive adequate pay for the work and time I put in? No. However, because I find meaning in my work and know that I am making a difference for the students of our county, I am perfectly okay with that. That is what I wanted when I became a teacher. I always knew I wouldn’t be wealthy, and the pay increases provided by my union-negotiated contract are not what I was fighting for when I worked to rule today.

I was fighting for funding from the county to ensure that my class sizes don’t increase from the 29 students I have in my first period class. I was fighting for the first-year teacher I mentor who came out of the womb a natural teacher and runs the risk of being laid off. One person said that they have saved the 150 jobs that were on the chopping block. As of last week, that was not true. Some teachers have retired, some we know are moving or resigning, and M. Martirano saved over $1 million by trimming our central office of 34 positions. However, there are still cuts to make and unless more funding is redirected to our public schools, he will have no option but to lay off teachers and other positions throughout the system.

From what I understand from the presentation made by the auditor who has audited the county’s books for the last 22 years, funding to other county services has increased over the years while the funding to our schools has decreased. There are counties in Maryland that give over 50% of their county’s budgets to their schools while ours is far less than that. The audit also revealed there has been an over-estimation of expenses and under-estimation of tax revenue providing a cushion that a portion of which could save our teachers’ jobs, keep our class sizes where they are, and ensure the continuation of our sports and after-school activities.

The last item I want to address is the idea of “casual overtime”. I had quite a few jobs before I began teaching 11 years ago. I remember that casual overtime meant working a few extra hours because someone else called in sick, or working until we finished a project. I wouldn’t call what teachers do after school hours both in and out of school casual overtime. If so, here’s what my overtime would consist of:

Summer – I take classes and workshops to hone and refine my craft. I re-evaluate my lessons and strategies taking into consideration what I learned the previous year to improve them. Even though I have a master’s degree in reading, I do this to better myself and because it is a requirement to maintain my teaching certificate. I carry professional journals and textbooks around where ever I go in case I have a spare few minutes. I carried them around while on vacation in Maine learning how to teach grammar lessons through short stories so that students would be more engaged and increase the likelihood that they will internalize the information.

Evenings and weekends – I spend a lot of this time grading papers, responding to parent emails, and thinking about how to tweak my lessons so that they are the best they can be. I spend extra time giving written feedback to every student about their work so that they know they are special and that they are worth the time it takes to let them know where they excel as well as where they need to improve. I spend evenings baking cakes, brownies, and cookies to celebrate my students’ successes as well as muffins during MSA testing so that students who didn’t have breakfast would have warm food in their stomachs.

Lunch time: In the many lives I lived before teaching, I always had a half an hour to full hour for lunch. We would sit and watch TV, talk, or go out for lunch to rest and relax before returning to “duty”. For the past 11 years, I have spent my lunch grading papers, organizing for my next class, or sitting with a variety of students with a wide array of emotional and social difficulties so that have at least one place they feel safe and comfortable.

I have so many examples of things that I, as well as many of the teachers in my school, do that go beyond “casual overtime” that there is no way I could include them all here. I also don’t want to sound like I am whining or wanting readers to feel sorry for me. I do these things because I want to. No one makes me do them.

I didn’t work to rule today because the union told me to, or because I wanted to leave early for spring break. I did it to make the statement that I am already stretched thin. If the current budget is passed, we will lose good teachers, have larger classes, and fewer materials with which to achieve the level of student success we have become accustomed to.

I love my job. I am one of the few people I know who do. I enjoy spending time with and getting to know your children and helping you get them ready to live a successful and productive lives. Instead of criticizing teachers and pointing out the faults of some, please help us get Superintendant Martirano’s budget funded so we can continue to make the amazing progress we have seen over the last few years.

Geek

I am a middle school teacher in St. Mary’s County where I have taught 6th through 8th grades over the past 11 years. My husband read me the comment at the beginning of the thread and I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Some of the comments throughout the forum were supportive of teachers and it made me feel good to know that there are individuals out there who understand what the profession of teaching is all about. I would never say that it is an easy job, nor would I belabor the issues that make some days a struggle to get through. I do, however, feel the need to address some of the ideas expressed throughout the nine pages of comments.

I feel that, all things considered, I receive an acceptable paycheck. I, along with my husband, who is an electrician, am able to provide for my family, afford to buy a house, own two cars as well as an RV, and have the ability to take my two children on various short trips and vacations. I am by no means wealthy, but I am definitely blessed with a job that I love and the means to live in a way that makes me happy. I also receive health benefits that combined with my husband’s ensure that my family has the healthcare we need. Do I think that I receive adequate pay for the work and time I put in? No. However, because I find meaning in my work and know that I am making a difference for the students of our county, I am perfectly okay with that. That is what I wanted when I became a teacher. I always knew I wouldn’t be wealthy, and the pay increases provided by my union-negotiated contract are not what I was fighting for when I worked to rule today.

I was fighting for funding from the county to ensure that my class sizes don’t increase from the 29 students I have in my first period class. I was fighting for the first-year teacher I mentor who came out of the womb a natural teacher and runs the risk of being laid off. One person said that they have saved the 150 jobs that were on the chopping block. As of last week, that was not true. Some teachers have retired, some we know are moving or resigning, and M. Martirano saved over $1 million by trimming our central office of 34 positions. However, there are still cuts to make and unless more funding is redirected to our public schools, he will have no option but to lay off teachers and other positions throughout the system.

From what I understand from the presentation made by the auditor who has audited the county’s books for the last 22 years, funding to other county services has increased over the years while the funding to our schools has decreased. There are counties in Maryland that give over 50% of their county’s budgets to their schools while ours is far less than that. The audit also revealed there has been an over-estimation of expenses and under-estimation of tax revenue providing a cushion that a portion of which could save our teachers’ jobs, keep our class sizes where they are, and ensure the continuation of our sports and after-school activities.

The last item I want to address is the idea of “casual overtime”. I had quite a few jobs before I began teaching 11 years ago. I remember that casual overtime meant working a few extra hours because someone else called in sick, or working until we finished a project. I wouldn’t call what teachers do after school hours both in and out of school casual overtime. If so, here’s what my overtime would consist of:

Summer – I take classes and workshops to hone and refine my craft. I re-evaluate my lessons and strategies taking into consideration what I learned the previous year to improve them. Even though I have a master’s degree in reading, I do this to better myself and because it is a requirement to maintain my teaching certificate. I carry professional journals and textbooks around where ever I go in case I have a spare few minutes. I carried them around while on vacation in Maine learning how to teach grammar lessons through short stories so that students would be more engaged and increase the likelihood that they will internalize the information.

Evenings and weekends – I spend a lot of this time grading papers, responding to parent emails, and thinking about how to tweak my lessons so that they are the best they can be. I spend extra time giving written feedback to every student about their work so that they know they are special and that they are worth the time it takes to let them know where they excel as well as where they need to improve. I spend evenings baking cakes, brownies, and cookies to celebrate my students’ successes as well as muffins during MSA testing so that students who didn’t have breakfast would have warm food in their stomachs.

Lunch time: In the many lives I lived before teaching, I always had a half an hour to full hour for lunch. We would sit and watch TV, talk, or go out for lunch to rest and relax before returning to “duty”. For the past 11 years, I have spent my lunch grading papers, organizing for my next class, or sitting with a variety of students with a wide array of emotional and social difficulties so that have at least one place they feel safe and comfortable.

I have so many examples of things that I, as well as many of the teachers in my school, do that go beyond “casual overtime” that there is no way I could include them all here. I also don’t want to sound like I am whining or wanting readers to feel sorry for me. I do these things because I want to. No one makes me do them.

I didn’t work to rule today because the union told me to, or because I wanted to leave early for spring break. I did it to make the statement that I am already stretched thin. If the current budget is passed, we will lose good teachers, have larger classes, and fewer materials with which to achieve the level of student success we have become accustomed to.

I love my job. I am one of the few people I know who do. I enjoy spending time with and getting to know your children and helping you get them ready to live a successful and productive lives. Instead of criticizing teachers and pointing out the faults of some, please help us get Superintendant Martirano’s budget funded so we can continue to make the amazing progress we have seen over the last few years.

Gorgeous, well said and thank you!

Go G-Men

this is not a "union" thing. this discussion should be about our children. laying off teachers, cutting educational spending affects the kids and their education. dont turn this thread into a union bashing issue. teachers have a union.....so what. who's protecting and standing up with the childrens education ?? the very ones that are supposed to be are not. instead they cut from the program.....

This all about the union. The unions have told the teachers how to handle this and what to do. This has absolutely nothing to do with the students at all. This is about the union sticking together across the entire country. The teachers union was surprised by what happened in Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois and Ohio. They will not be surprised again.

If the budget calls for cuts then cuts must be made. If any of you have ideas on where we can better make cuts by all means put them out there.

If you think teachers are doing a better job today than say 20 years ago, all you have to do is look at Homework. More homework is assigned today than was assigned 10 years or 20 years ago. Meaning teachers are doing less teaching and more babysitting than in years past.

I say we keep the best teachers and pay them for being the best and dump the teachers who don't care regardless of tenure and see where the chips fall. Its not like students are getting a better education than in years past. American students continue to fall behind their peers in other countries and that trend has been ongoing for the last 15 years.

Go G-Men

Generally speaking we (in St. Mary's Co.) don't pay the teachers very well. It's a crime that a veteran teacher with a family of 4 is eligible for food stamps. Embarresing when their kids are eligible for free or reduced lunches. Worse, the administrators are paid so much more. I call BS when a principal is making twice what a veteran teacher is making. Compensation is out of line.
A

Wow... Same can be said for our Military Members who have no union and get paid less and who have many families collecting food stamps and Wic. Maybe we should allow them to "work to rule" as well.

Go G-Men

A quote from Geek" "I love my job. I am one of the few people I know who do."

I am concerned that an active teacher would post this as I assume you know many teachers. This may be what a lot of folks are alluding to here.

Keep teachers like yourself and get rid of those who don't care at all.

Last edited:

Go G-Men

Oh for pity's sake.... :blahblah: about teachers being off... Teachers are contracted to work for 190 days a year. Whine about snow days all you want, but they have to be made up and kids get out plenty of days teacher don't, but the contract is for 190 days. Their salary is based on that 190 days. The agreement made between the teachers and the school board is for 190 days of work. Whine all you want about how they get off so much time and how they are getting over on the system, but everyone who signed that contract knew it was for 190 days of work.

Now does anyone know a teacher who grades papers on the weekend or in the evening? If you don't, you live in a cave and never went to school. They all do. I know a teacher who took the family on a camping trip that they'd been looking forward to for months and spent time grading papers in front of the tent, while the rest of the family went off and had fun. I know a teacher who used his personal vehicle hauling mulch for a school fundraiser all weekend a couple of weeks ago. Not only did he do 2 days of physical labor for free, it cost him $100 in gas and the money from the fundraiser was earmarked for a program that had nothing to do with his department and his classroom wouldn't benefit from.

So those of you who want to ##### about teachers taking too much time off, follow a teacher around for a while and see what you think.

St Marys County Teahers Salaries: AVG: $51,620, 90th Percentile: $73,480

Not too bad for 190 days of "contracted" work.

rolltide

Paid vacations for teachers?

Teachers complaining about their pay, hmmmm. Wish I could get paid for sitting at home on snow days, get the summer off, winter & spring breaks, and paid holidays. WTF, it seems the're off more then they work. I say if you don't like your job or salary then get another one. I'm sure there is someone out there who needs a job and would be appreciative to have one.

Teachers do NOT get paid "for sitting at home on snow days, etc". They are paid for working a set number of days. They have no choice in having their pay divided up into 26 pay periods. And now the state of Maryland is taking 2% of their salaries to support the general fund for the next two years. Work to rule is just that -- doing the work they are contracted to do. How much of your own time to you donate to your employer? Teachers are grateful to have jobs. They are just getting tired of the general public assuming that the choice to be a teacher includes a scapegoat clause.

glitch

Devil's Advocate

:yahoo:

Well said.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
St Marys County Teahers Salaries: AVG: $51,620, 90th Percentile: $73,480

Not too bad for 190 days of "contracted" work.

Salary range for a Family practice physician in Baltimore, Maryland: $142,547 (10%) - $235,584 (90%).

Where do you think that person would be earning if their first grade teacher hadn't taught them how to read, or the elementary, middle & high school teachers hadn't taught them math, chemistry, and biology along with a love of learning in these areas so they could succeed in college while pursuing those medical degrees? It would be a damn shame if your doctor couldn't read the medical journal article that contained the information needed to save your life. Of course, people don't think that doctors should get paid according to their training and importance either or we wouldn't be screaming so loudly about rising healthcare costs.

And before you bring up the military again, I agree with you. In no way are they adequately compensated for what they do for us! IMO we should cut the salaries of Senators & Representatives and put that money towards military salaries. We need to stop sending "aid" overseas and pay our military more. But, how do you put a "price" on freedom? What kind of a salary WOULD be adequate for what they do?

The military these days is just like teachers. I would be hoping that most people go into it because they love their country and want to help it. I know that there are some who go into it because they need a job and/or want the training/education provided so they can get a better job when they're out. There are even some who go into it because they feel there is no other option for them. Sounds a bit like what people are saying about teaching on here, doesn't it?

News flash for those of you who complain about things in this thread -- people who work in "helping" professions (teachers, military, nurses, police, firefighters, social workers, etc.) get horrible pay when compared to the importance of what they do. It's always been that way and I don't see it changing. They certainly don't take these jobs for the money. They take these jobs because they want to help people (of all ages).

Since when does America attack, denigrate, and essentially spit upon those who help her? My country used to respect these people -- what changed?

DonWood

The other thing to consider when discussing the amount teachers as well as other professions are paid is education level achieved. The teachers in the 90th percentile have 20-30 years of service as well as master's degrees and PHDs. Getting degrees costs money and time and are usually obtained while teaching. I am in my 11th year and make about $53,000. I used student loans to get my associates and bachelor's degree while working in another field full-time. After I had my children, I returned to school to get my Master's degree while working, teaching and raising my two girls. A few people have talked about teachers getting a new job if they don't like their current situation because there are many others who would like to have it. Are these other individuals willing to put themselves through the required schooling?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The other thing to consider when discussing the amount teachers as well as other professions are paid is education level achieved. The teachers in the 90th percentile have 20-30 years of service as well as master's degrees and PHDs. Getting degrees costs money and time and are usually obtained while teaching. I am in my 11th year and make about $53,000. I used student loans to get my associates and bachelor's degree while working in another field full-time. After I had my children, I returned to school to get my Master's degree while working, teaching and raising my two girls. A few people have talked about teachers getting a new job if they don't like their current situation because there are many others who would like to have it. Are these other individuals willing to put themselves through the required schooling?

Kudos. My sister-the-highschool-teacher is doing the same; working toward her masters concurrently with teaching..and approaching 50 years of age too. I don't think I would have that much drive..not sure I would have 10 years ago either.

IMO teachers - good ones - surely earn what they are paid and often deserve more; in some cases a lot more. My personal beef is only with the tactics employed in some cases by some unions..their scorched-earth winner-take-all approach is often not about fiscal reality or compromise.