Stats show no rise in sales or crime since end of gun ban

Vince

Spoiled said:
You are right, give some gangs fully automatic weapons and tell me gang wars wont be more bloody... Im not arguing that its the people who do it, but the guns do control the effiency

its not as easy to spray with a semi auto as it is with an auto

And these guns laws are going to stop the gangs from getting these automatic weapons and using them? If that's you're thinking, then re-evaluate your train of thought. That IS the thinking of most people who don't own, use or like guns. They say "get rid of them all and we won't have any trouble." Well, after you take the guns away from all the hunters, trap shooters, target shooters, competition shooters, etc. (honest law abiding citizens) guess who will still have them. You're right, the criminals.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Vince said:
And these guns laws are going to stop the gangs from getting these automatic weapons and using them? If that's you're thinking, then re-evaluate your train of thought. That IS the thinking of most people who don't own, use or like guns. They say "get rid of them all and we won't have any trouble." Well, after you take the guns away from all the hunters, trap shooters, target shooters, competition shooters, etc. (honest law abiding citizens) guess who will still have them. You're right, the criminals.
I totally agree. What I don't agree with is "Gun's don't kill people, people do." I believe it is a combination of the two. You have to admit that a gun certainly makes it a helluvalot easier to kill.

Spoiled

Guns arent one of my big issues, I am not saying making them illegal will stop criminals... But making them more difficult to get (black market instead of the tackle box) does help... If you want to go by the "make it illegal and it just stop the good citizens then ([sarcasm])we should stop doing checks and what not at the air ports for guns, knives and what not, if they want a plane again they will get it, no sense in trying to stop them...([/sarcasm])

Cletus_Vandam

Spoiled said:
You are right, give some gangs fully automatic weapons and tell me gang wars wont be more bloody... Im not arguing that its the people who do it, but the guns do control the effiency

You’re response shows that you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

The Clinton AWB of the 90's had absolutely nothing to do with the Class 3 (fully automatic) firearm. These weapons were already being regulated by a Federal Law on the books for sixty (YES, 60) years!

Fully automatic weapons were being (and still are) regulated by a Federal Statute initiated in the 30’s as a result of the criminal activities associated with prohibition.

Clinton’s AWB made the sale of certain guns illegal simply because they looked more intimidating than others. If you used that same analogy, we need to make it illegal for guys over 200 pounds to get tattoos, have facial hair and shave their heads….

The AWB had nothing to do with how “efficient” the weapon was.

Cletus_Vandam

BuddyLee said:
I totally agree. What I don't agree with is "Gun's don't kill people, people do." I believe it is a combination of the two. You have to admit that a gun certainly makes it a helluvalot easier to kill.

Cars get you up and down the road a lot more effeciently than a horse. BAN THE CARS!!!!!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than any of the guns in my house....

I'll bet anyone, if you put a gun on the table and no one ever touches it, it will never hurt anyone.

Yeah, sure, "guns kill". And those tobacco companies forced you smoke those five packs a day. And McDonalds twisted your arm so hard you just had to Super Size....

BuddyLee

Football addict
Cletus_Vandam said:
Cars get you up and down the road a lot more effeciently than a horse. BAN THE CARS!!!!!

I'll bet anyone, if you put a gun on the table and no one ever touches it, it will never hurt anyone.

Yeah, sure, "guns kill". And those tobacco companies forced you smoke those five packs a day. And McDonalds twisted your arm so hard you just had to Super Size....
Cars are meant to be driven. McDonalds is meant to be eaten. Guns are meant to Kill. Get it? Got it? Good!

Spoiled

Cletus_Vandam said:

:deadhorse :banghead: I know this, I was talking about fully automatic weapons here... 2a and various other posters ensured everyone knew this when it was still a hot topic in the news...

ylexot

Super Genius
Spoiled said:
:deadhorse :banghead: I know this, I was talking about fully automatic weapons here... 2a and various other posters ensured everyone knew this when it was still a hot topic in the news...
Why are you banging your head? You're the one that keeps bringing up fully automatic weapons when this thread has nothing to do with them. :dork:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Bustem' Down said:
First I'm neither for nor against the ban that was in place. I don't see how laws will prevent someone who breaks the law from obtaining weaponry. My question is why would anyone really need an assault rifle?
Do you realize that a sporter AK-47 or a AR-15 are not assault weapons? An assault weapon is fully automatic capable (select fire for some). No weapons that are available to the public are assault weapon unless they obtain a separate class 3 permit which takes longer to get and has a more intrusive background check that a secret clearance.

AR does not stand for assault rifle. It stands for Armorlite Rifle which invented the design.

Your question shows the typical lack of knowledge and downright lies promulgated by the media and liberal politicians that are more interested in keep the citizens from standing up to the government.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Spoiled said:

Do you read posts or just come back with your point of view?

The guns that were covered in the AWB (Assault Weapons Ban) were not assault weapons. None of them were fully automatic.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
BuddyLee said:
Under that premise, then why have any laws at all?:duh:
I am sure the Founders, most of them, would tell you we have far too many laws. Their idea of the proper amount of law was that the common man would be able to read and understand all of them in one days reading with no ambiguity. I don't think you could catalog all the law volumes in one day much less read and understand them.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
BuddyLee said:
A Scandinavian country, forget which one, outlawed all private ownership of guns. The murder rate did not go down at all the following year. Great Britian and Australia have virtually outlawed private ownership of guns. Thei violent crime rates have increased. On the other hand, every state (41 of them) that have concealed or open carry have lower crime rates. The city with the most restrictive gun laws in the world, Washington, D.C. is also the murder capital of the world.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
2ndAmendment said:
Do you realize that a sporter AK-47 or a AR-15 are not assault weapons? An assault weapon is fully automatic capable (select fire for some). No weapons that are available to the public are assault weapon unless they obtain a separate class 3 permit which takes longer to get and has a more intrusive background check that a secret clearance.

AR does not stand for assault rifle. It stands for Armorlite Rifle which invented the design.

Your question shows the typical lack of knowledge and downright lies promulgated by the media and liberal politicians that are more interested in keep the citizens from standing up to the government.
I KNOW WHAT AN ASSUALT RIFLE IS. I know the AR-15 is made by Armorlite company. I'm looking for disscusion on why someone would need one.

BuddyLee

Football addict
2ndAmendment said:
I am sure the Founders, most of them, would tell you we have far too many laws. Their idea of the proper amount of law was that the common man would be able to read and understand all of them in one days reading with no ambiguity. I don't think you could catalog all the law volumes in one day much less read and understand them.
Agreed.

ylexot

Super Genius
Bustem' Down said:
I KNOW WHAT AN ASSUALT RIFLE IS. I know the AR-15 is made by Armorlite company. I'm looking for disscusion on why someone would need one.
A better question is why not? Why does anyone need a car capable of speeds over 200 mph when the highest speed limit in MD is 65 mph? I sure you have plenty of things that someone else would say "why would you need ?????"

An even better question is who are you to question what anyone else wants/needs?

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
I'm not questioning anyone. I'm just curious as to answers. Damn, I want one myself actually, but and antique, not a modern one.

Cletus_Vandam

BuddyLee said:
Cars are meant to be driven.

I agree with that portion of your post.

However, when a person drinks all night at a bar. Then decides to drive home, wrecks his car into oncoming traffic and kills a family of four, he's labeled as "drunk" and is sentenced to prision (maybe). The "car" that did the actual damage never comes into any fault with the crime.

Yet, when a career criminal uses a gun to kill, rape, or commit any other violent crime, he goes to jail (maybe). Then all of the media, the uninformed, the left, and just about everyone in California all sit back and talk about how bad it is to have guns in this Country. But it's not sooo bad to have the career criminal who will get sentenced to three years and be back out on the streets doing the same thing after doing his time.

Guns have numerous other uses other than killing. If one continued your logic of thought, gun powder, knives, arrows, and even a stone attached to stick should be outlawed.... :blahblah:

Cletus_Vandam

Bustem' Down said:
I'm not questioning anyone. I'm just curious as to answers. Damn, I want one myself actually, but and antique, not a modern one.

I have a weapon that would have been affected by the AWB, had it been purchased during that time frame. It's a nice weapon to take out and target shoot. Sure I could get by with a Ruger 10-22 and take it target shooting. But I like the look, the feel and the action of the weapon I am referring to.

I would not use that weapon for personal or home protection. It is not practical.

Like someone said earlier, cars are made to outperform the laws that govern their operation, yet they are not being banned for that reason.... (and before the replies start, the majority of exotic cars that are banned from importation into this country are due to higher emmissions or less safety, not their performance).

BuddyLee

Football addict
Cletus_Vandam said:
I agree with that portion of your post. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Cletus_Vandam said:
<o:p></o:p>

However, when a person drinks all night at a bar. Then decides to drive home, wrecks his car into oncoming traffic and kills a family of four, he's labeled as "drunk" and is sentenced to prision (maybe). The "car" that did the actual damage never comes into any fault with the crime.
You seem to have a propensity to divert attention away from the gun issue at hand and throw it about in other areas such as auto crashes, drunk drivers, tobacco and even Mcdonalds. What do these have to do with the gun issue at hand? Sure people die because of idiotic mistakes, such is life. I will agree that people get what they deserve. However, you cannot refute that guns are an exceptional tool like no other which has manifested intent to do harm. It is too easy to pull a trigger. <o:p></o:p>

Yet, when a career criminal uses a gun to kill, rape, or commit any other violent crime, he goes to jail (maybe). Then all of the media, the uninformed, the left, and just about everyone in California all sit back and talk about how bad it is to have guns in this Country. But it's not sooo bad to have the career criminal who will get sentenced to three years and be back out on the streets doing the same thing after doing his time.
Agreed.<o:p></o:p>

Guns have numerous other uses other than killing.
They certainly do. However, what was and still is it's main intent of use?<o:p></o:p>

If one continued your logic of thought, gun powder, knives, arrows, and even a stone attached to stick should be outlawed.... <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 27.75pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" type="#_x0000_t75" alt=""><v:imagedata o:href='\\"http://forums.somd.com/images/smilies/blah.gif\\"' src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Owner/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

1) I never said we should outlaw guns. <o:p></o:p>

2) All certainly can be used as killing tools but how much easier is it to pull a trigger? How much more efficient? How much quicker? How much cleaner? If I decided to kill I would most definitely chose a gun as my first choice, would you not?