Stock Market is tanking!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

To be fair, there is a renewed interest in domestic steel (and other building supplies) even if they are small, boutique type of operations. For all of the economic problems Trump started with his little vanity tariff project, it did cement the importance to shorten the supply chain on lots of things.

Tariffs still a terrible idea that didn't work, but some good can often come out of bad decisions.

Looking at Steel Dynamics long term stock chart, it appears they are being set up for a serious short selling positions. Though they have a low P/E, not sure on the amount of debt they carry, nor if any debt needs refinancing, which would be at higher rates.

HemiHauler

For your consideration ...

Looking at Steel Dynamics long term stock chart, it appears they are being set up for a serious short selling positions. Though they have a low P/E, not sure on the amount of debt they carry, nor if any debt needs refinancing, which would be at higher rates.
Possibly. To be fair, I got out a few months ago. The low P/E is encouraging, what given the absolutely insane valuations of some equities over the past 20 years. It's an anomaly in that regard.

2021 Annual Report here. Interest payments dropping. Superb cash flow situation. And look at the earnings jump from 2020 - 2021, a direct result of the shift to domestic suppliers for steel and other materials.

^^ that link takes you off their site (I'm always weary about that stuff), so you may prefer to use https://ir.steeldynamics.com/annual-reports/ and find the report for 2021. ^^

CPUSA

Too bad for you. You should have been managing your retirement a bit more intelligently.

I'm sitting back counting the GAINZ LOL.
:killingme:killingme

You are so full of chit!!

You're sitting back, watching the GAIN wash your wife's boyfriend's draws, you pathetic little cuck!! 🤣😂

• Haha
Reactions: BOP

Kinnakeet

To be fair, there is a renewed interest in domestic steel (and other building supplies) even if they are small, boutique type of operations. For all of the economic problems Trump started with his little vanity tariff project, it did cement the importance to shorten the supply chain on lots of things.

Tariffs still a terrible idea that didn't work, but some good can often come out of bad decisions.
TRUMP potus big money record high closing in the stock market everyday just about
Dumb ass gets in office somehow we lose money everyday not just a little either

PeoplesElbow

I'll have to revisit steel, I've owned Nucor for a long time. Thought it was the only steel producer worth owning for a very long time.

3CATSAILOR

All of the key economic indicators say that we are months away from a recession. Things are just going to keep getting worst and worst.

This has been brewing for decades. Never-ending government spending topped by near-zero interest rates from the fed to keep the balloon from popping. The stock market and housing bubbles are the direct result of all that money they have been printing.

The reason the gov is trying to squeeze every last penny out of us in taxes is because they need the money to pay the interest on the debt. Between the massive national debt and increasing interest rates on that debt, they're in a tough place. Its kinda like maxing out your credit cards, as long as you can make the minimum monthly payment, you can keep the ship afloat.

Get out and go into T-Bills or Gov T-Bills Money Markets. After the bottom really falls out, you can start buying at bargain basement prices. Hopefully you've already hedged with some precious metals and maybe Bitcoin.

Finally, if you look at a chart for the SP500 going back decades you'll see that the price really started its higher than previously normal trend a few years after Nixon took us off of the gold standard.
The only good stocks I can see now and in particular the future are anything to do with weapons. Offensive and defensive. If China attacks Taiwan, we are in a war. China will then claim the money is due of what we owe them.. China is one of our enemies. But, for some reason in every corner of our Country you see advertisements of how great they are. All bought and paid for from the money we owe China. In the long run, this will cost our Country more than twice as much. I pray that it won't be in the flood of our Sons and Daughters.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Bit coin just tanked

It's all relative to what you paid for it. People who bought it at $10 or $400 are pretty happy after the tanking. Even people who bought it at $3000 or $10,000 are pretty happy. People who bought it at $50,000 may be a bit worried.

I had a chance a decade ago to buy BTC for a few dollars each. I was too cheap to throw $100 at it because the only way was to Paypal the money to some stranger and I thought it too risky. Prob would have 20 or so BTC today worth $400,000+.

I wouldn't sell everything and buy BTC, but the smart money is diversified these days, and I don't mean in the stock market. Even good stocks tank when the whole market panics. Diversified today means real estate; cash; gov bonds; precious metals; BTC/ETH...

The extremely wealthy buy things like valuable art. I still remember this one 60 Minutes story that ran decades ago. They were doing a story on some famous violinist. The host asked something like, how do you feel about having to spend so much for your Stradivarius violin. He answered, well, I paid $1 million for it and it is now worth $3 million.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's all relative to what you paid for it. People who bought it at $10 or $400 are pretty happy after the tanking. Even people who bought it at $3000 or $10,000 are pretty happy. People who bought it at $50,000 may be a bit worried.

I had a chance a decade ago to buy BTC for a few dollars each. I was too cheap to throw $100 at it because the only way was to Paypal the money to some stranger and I thought it too risky. Prob would have 20 or so BTC today worth $400,000+.

I wouldn't sell everything and buy BTC, but the smart money is diversified these days, and I don't mean in the stock market. Even good stocks tank when the whole market panics. Diversified today means real estate; cash; gov bonds; precious metals; BTC/ETH...

The extremely wealthy buy things like valuable art. I still remember this one 60 Minutes story that ran decades ago. They were doing a story on some famous violinist. The host asked something like, how do you feel about having to spend so much for your Stradivarius violin. He answered, well, I paid $1 million for it and it is now worth $3 million.
I bought 66-77 Broncos for $1200 that I sold for 4-5 times that. And I screwed up by selling early...some of them were eventually worth 10-15 times what I paid for them. Timing...its everything..

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Looks like we have us a bank failure now.

Not only that, Wells Fargo has major problems today. Many people showing no balance in their accounts, direct deposits not showing, people getting overdraft notices/charges. WF says they're working on it. They have been involved in so many nefarious activities in the past years, get the hell out and go with a local bank or credit union.

Some analysts theorizing that many people were pulling their savings out of the banks and putting them in high paying money market funds. (Vanguard Gov MM paying 4.51%). This forced banks to raise cash by selling their current Gov Bonds at a loss (the ones they bought in past years when rates where near 0%).

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
What to give some more specific advice? Looks like retirement keeps going farther away for us.

Many people moving to central America where you can live cheap, if you can deal with the culture shock. Of course, when word spreads, everyone will do it and ruin the whole gig. Kinda like those damned magazines that post lists of the 10 best places to live. Everyone rushes to move there and within 10 years, the place is a shithole like the one they moved from. Happening to Austin now.