Stopped School Bus

phreddyp

The ones that get me are the bus drivers who have the red lights on before they stop , we have one moron driver on route 497 that does this ALL the time, I'm pretty sure this wacko bitch has no clue how many accidents she has caused.

glhs837

Power with Control
Evidently I DID pass a bus - way up on 235/5 just a few miles south of Mattawoman/Beantown road.

Seems that if a bus stops with flashing lights - on the opposite side of a four lane divided highway - you still have to stop.

That makes no sense - the point of it is to ensure the safety of children - there's no chance a bus would ever stop knowing the children would have to go across 3-4 lanes of a highway with a divider in the middle. That's insane.
If he was where I think he's talking about, Forrest Park, there is no barrier.
Oh yeah. Gotta stop there.

This spot right here? BIL got one there, swore it was still divided. Seems like the perfect storm.

My viewpoint is that the school bus is not a door service enterprise. I understand that people do not live on paved roads and are not "conveniently located" near a proper bus stop. But, can't these kids walk home from the bus stop? If not, can't parents/guardians/caretakers pick them up from the bus stop? For example in my scenario... if the child lives directly off of 235, why can't the bus turn on to the nearest side street, drop the child off, then turn around and get back onto 235 to the next side street? The child can then walk to their home from that bus stop or be picked up. Since when has the school bus system offered door service??

About side streets, I think part of the math is simple time. These kids spent a LOT of time on the bus, and the amount of time spent on little side roads would maybe double that.

SamSpade

This spot right here? BIL got one there, swore it was still divided. Seems like the perfect storm.
Yup, right about there.

This county and others have so many - well places you'd be well advised to be careful.

Like that slowdown area on southbound 235 in Mechanicsville. Get a ticket ONCE and you will ALWAYS do 45 through there, even in the dead of night.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
Like that slowdown area on southbound 235 in Mechanicsville. Get a ticket ONCE and you will ALWAYS do 45 through there, even in the dead of night.

I always let someone in a bigger hurry than I slip ahead of me through there.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yup, right about there.

This county and others have so many - well places you'd be well advised to be careful.

I do unless I got some hasty rabbit that wants to clear a path for me. Just going to make sure to stay in their radar laser shadow

jrt_ms1995

About side streets, I think part of the math is simple time. These kids spent a LOT of time on the bus, and the amount of time spent on little side roads would maybe double that.
I got one right here https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2502729,-76.4878435,147m/data=!3m1!1e3?authuser=0&entry=ttu

Part divided, part not, so guess where the bus actually intends to stop, when its lights have been out since it passed through the intersection. I guessed wrong as it stopped just past the end of the island at 21230 rather than the apartments.

OccamsRazor

I am not saying that the bus needs to drive to the very end of every side road. What I am saying is that the bus needs to NOT come to a stop on the main artery to pick up/drop off kids. They should be turning off the main artery and on to the side roads for pick up and drop off. Then, resume on the main artery until the next side road. Kids can walk and/or parents can drop off their child at the bus stop. This way... no red flashing lights on the state highways. Getting kids to the bus stop should be the parent's responsibility. NOT having the bus provide door service and thus causing major delays and backups on the state highways.

SamSpade

I am not saying that the bus needs to drive to the very end of every side road.

Of course not. I live on a side road - it goes more than two miles. Thankfully, it has cul-de-sacs so my son's bus can turn around, because he's the ONLY student on his bus, from our road.

But many of these side roads aren't even divided by a yellow line - they're not much wider than a driveway. There's seriously not a lot of turnaround for a bus, especially when the side roads are just straight roads with no side roads of their own - meaning the bus would have to turn around in someone's driveway. I drive an SUV - and even I have a hard time.

No, it's just something I see as a necessary evil.

OccamsRazor

But many of these side roads aren't even divided by a yellow line - they're not much wider than a driveway. There's seriously not a lot of turnaround for a bus, especially when the side roads are just straight roads with no side roads of their own - meaning the bus would have to turn around in someone's driveway. I drive an SUV - and even I have a hard time.
I agree that there are some roads where the bus would not have the room. For those instances, the parent would need to transport the child to the nearest bus stop.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I am not saying that the bus needs to drive to the very end of every side road. What I am saying is that the bus needs to NOT come to a stop on the main artery to pick up/drop off kids. They should be turning off the main artery and on to the side roads for pick up and drop off. Then, resume on the main artery until the next side road. Kids can walk and/or parents can drop off their child at the bus stop.
That would present quite a challenge on Rt 249...or Rt 242...or MD 5 south of Great Mills, or..

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Of course not. I live on a side road - it goes more than two miles. Thankfully, it has cul-de-sacs so my son's bus can turn around, because he's the ONLY student on his bus, from our road.
When girl started riding the bus in middle school, they wanted to pick her up on the other side of the bank (you know where I live) with no other kids. They agreed to pick her up at the end of the driveway instead.

OccamsRazor

That would present quite a challenge on Rt 249...or Rt 242...or MD 5 south of Great Mills, or..
I agree that there are some roads where the bus would not have the room. For those instances, the parent would need to transport the child to the nearest bus stop.

OccamsRazor

Why?

I can give 2 reasons why the alternative is a better solution:

1) It would be far safer for the children as there would be less traffic surrounding the busses as they are dropped off and picked up
2) It would create less of a traffic problem for commuters on the state highways during peak hours of traffic.

Other than convenience to the parents, why would you object to this?

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Why?

1) It would be far safer for the children as there would be less traffic surrounding the busses as they are dropped off and picked up
2) It would create less of a traffic problem for commuters on the state highways during peak hours of traffic.

Even without the turnaround issue, its still a time issue, especially if they need to reenter the main roadway from the side road. That adds up

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Why?

Have you ever had school age kids that rode the bus?

OccamsRazor

Have you ever had school age kids that rode the bus?
In 3 different states including MD. All but MD had school bus stops that were off the main roads. All but MD had policies that had parents take their children to bus stops. Only exceptions were for children with special needs or disabilities.