Straighten me out

nightowl

I lied all the time as a kid but now I'm always on the kids about how important truth is.

What a hypocrite!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
2ndAmendment said:
It is absolutely personal. You love the person and want them to learn right from wrong, be responsible for their actions, and to appreciate their affect on others. If it wasn't personal, if you didn't love them, you would just ignore them until they were old enough to be on their own and show them the door.
What I mean by that is that I do not take their kid shenanigans personally. There are a lot of parents who think their kid does naughty things out of spite or to punish the parent in some way. They consider it a personal attack when the kid does something wrong, and they'll punish the kid with that in mind.

It disappoints me and sometimes even makes me angry when the kids do stupid things, but it doesn't *hurt* me. Kids do what they do - it's nothing personal. And I punish accordingly - nothing personal, just doing my job.

Agee

vraiblonde said:
It disappoints me and sometimes even makes me angry when the kids do stupid things, but it doesn't *hurt* me. Kids do what they do - it's nothing personal. And I punish accordingly - nothing personal, just doing my job.

Doesn't the "disappointment and anger" fade quickly if the child truly realizes the stupitidy of their actions and modifies their behaviors accordingly?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Airgasm said:
Doesn't the "disappointment and anger" fade quickly if the child truly realizes the stupitidy of their actions and modifies their behaviors accordingly?
Yep - that's why I say it's nothing personal. Cause. Effect. Lesson learned. End of story.

Pandora

Vrai,

Ahhh shucks :blushing:

I had a moment like that earlier this year when somebody kept trying to rationalize something to me and I just wasn’t getting it and then somebody out of the blue put it into perspective. Sometimes it doesn’t matter where the answer comes from, just that we eventually get it and stop torturing ourselves.

Nightowl,

I think also being able to let it go is important. We can only beat a dead horse so long. My husband says I'm famous for that too, going on and on and on and on and on and on.

I think the reason people tend to go “on and on” is because the issue(s) isn’t resolved in their mind. But, I’ve learned the hard way that sometimes you do have to let it go, because the other person is never EVER going to see it the way your eyes and heart see it.

I just started reading a book called Deadly Emotions by Doctor Don Colvert. I have posted many times in the past on this forum that my mother suffered and died relatively young from cancer. There is an uneasy feeling that lurks inside me knowing that I’m not too far off from the age my mother died, and this may seem farfetched, but I’ve often thought my mother ended up with cancer because of her emotional distress. This book describes how our emotions do indeed make us sick, even terminally sick and it describes several cases studies and studies in general. The author is a Christian writer who doesn’t gag a person with constant biblical scripture, but he does find a way to weave both the medical evidence and spiritual aspects together making it a book that is above and beyond just the facts.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
What I mean by that is that I do not take their kid shenanigans personally. There are a lot of parents who think their kid does naughty things out of spite or to punish the parent in some way. They consider it a personal attack when the kid does something wrong, and they'll punish the kid with that in mind.

:yay: Got it.

nightowl

Pandora said:
I think the reason people tend to go “on and on” is because the issue(s) isn’t resolved in their mind. But, I’ve learned the hard way that sometimes you do have to let it go, because the other person is never EVER going to see it the way your eyes and heart see it.

Pandora, you are so right here. I also think that women are just way different than men in that we need to go on and on to help resolve stuff for ourselves whereas men can just resolve it or at least push it down internally. But it's true that at some point you need to let it go since it's not helping anyone to keep going over it again and again. The problem is finding out how to do that.

Pandora said:
I just started reading a book called Deadly Emotions by Doctor Don Colvert. I have posted many times in the past on this forum that my mother suffered and died relatively young from cancer. There is an uneasy feeling that lurks inside me knowing that I’m not too far off from the age my mother died, and this may seem farfetched, but I’ve often thought my mother ended up with cancer because of her emotional distress. This book describes how our emotions do indeed make us sick, even terminally sick and it describes several cases studies and studies in general. The author is a Christian writer who doesn’t gag a person with constant biblical scripture, but he does find a way to weave both the medical evidence and spiritual aspects together making it a book that is above and beyond just the facts.

First, I would like to say I'm so sorry about your mom. Reading this really gave me a sick feeling inside since my mom is fighting cancer for the second time. I never remembered her being a worrier but I know my sisters and I all are. I do worry to the point of making myself sick. I thank you for your recommendation, this book sounds like something that could help me. Though I must admit I'm the queen of self-help books that seem to mostly sit on my book shelf.

Pandora

nightowl said:
First, I would like to say I'm so sorry about your mom. Reading this really gave me a sick feeling inside since my mom is fighting cancer for the second time. I never remembered her being a worrier but I know my sisters and I all are. I do worry to the point of making myself sick. I thank you for your recommendation, this book sounds like something that could help me. Though I must admit I'm the queen of self-help books that seem to mostly sit on my book shelf.

My mother worried about everything, but I didn’t know that until my grandmother told me after she died. My grandmother said that whenever anyone had a problem, my mother would worry about it for him or her so they didn’t have to. Maybe it was her way of escaping from her own situation of being under such a tyrant household.

I started reading more of the book the last 2-days and it is really good. Just understanding more about diseases and how the stress effects our bodies is enough for one to want to make changes.

I am so sorry about your mom, but just keep in mind that worrying about her isn't going to get her better. It will only make you sick now and it could potentially make you even sicker down the road. :huggy:

Edit: One interesting tid bit from the book was that skin infections are the hardest to clear up and that there is a potential for infection to reach the brain when the infection was taken in by an open wound on the face. So you have more to worry about when picking a zit or cyst on your face than just a scar.

Last edited:

nightowl

Pandora said:
My mother worried about everything, but I didn’t know that until my grandmother told me after she died. My grandmother said that whenever anyone had a problem, my mother would worry about it for him or her so they didn’t have to. Maybe it was her way of escaping from her own situation of being under such a tyrant household.

I started reading more of the book the last 2-days and it is really good. Just understanding more about diseases and how the stress effects our bodies is enough for one to want to make changes.

I am so sorry about your mom, but just keep in mind that worrying about her isn't going to get her better. It will only make you sick now and it could potentially make you even sicker down the road. :huggy:

Edit: One interesting tid bit from the book was that skin infections are the hardest to clear up and that there is a potential for infection to reach the brain when the infection was taken in by an open wound on the face. So you have more to worry about when picking a zit or cyst on your face than just a scar.

That's sad your mom worried so much to escape her own situation. I think a lot of people do that.

I try not to worry to much about my mom. She's a very spiritual person so she tries to keep things up beat and we try to laugh about things.

I never heard that about skin infections, ekkk.

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
mainman said:
I think all of the guilty involved should be forced to eat Saurkraut and sausage on top of mashed potatoes :twitch: as a punishment, including you mommy for starting this thread...

I'm not mommy, but punish me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
Larry Gude said:
...she was. Lost her birthday party a week or two before the day.

This kid has a problem with taking responsibility, full responsibility, for her actions.

Your point is??????????????
She NEEDS to learn to take responsibility for her actions. She should have learned that we she was a toddler................................ :smack:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
happyazz said:
Your point is??????????????
She NEEDS to learn to take responsibility for her actions. She should have learned that we she was a toddler................................
I would have given you green karma for that but I see you've got it turned off. :mad: