Sunday School for Atheists

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
"On Sunday mornings, most parents who don't believe in the Christian God, or any god at all, are probably making brunch or cheering at their kids' soccer game, or running errands or, with luck, sleeping in. Without religion, there's no need for church, right?

Maybe. But some nonbelievers are beginning to think they might need something for their children. "When you have kids," says Julie Willey, a design engineer, "you start to notice that your co-workers or friends have church groups to help teach their kids values and to be able to lean on." So every week, Willey, who was raised Buddhist and says she has never believed in God, and her husband pack their four kids into their blue minivan and head to the Humanist Community Center in Palo Alto, Calif., for atheist Sunday school."

Sunday School for Atheists - TIME

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
"On Sunday mornings, most parents who don't believe in the Christian God, or any god at all, are probably making brunch or cheering at their kids' soccer game, or running errands or, with luck, sleeping in. Without religion, there's no need for church, right?

Maybe. But some nonbelievers are beginning to think they might need something for their children. "When you have kids," says Julie Willey, a design engineer, "you start to notice that your co-workers or friends have church groups to help teach their kids values and to be able to lean on." So every week, Willey, who was raised Buddhist and says she has never believed in God, and her husband pack their four kids into their blue minivan and head to the Humanist Community Center in Palo Alto, Calif., for atheist Sunday school."

Or you could just designate Sunday as Family Day. No friends, no TV and no Phone, just a day as a family.

vbailey

vbailey
They do know that something is missing, ( God ) in their lives. You can't replace that emptiness with just anything...that place was meant to be filled with God! They can try Sunday School, but without God in it, it will still feel like something is missing.

Xaquin44

They do know that something is missing, ( God ) in their lives. You can't replace that emptiness with just anything...that place was meant to be filled with God! They can try Sunday School, but without God in it, it will still feel like something is missing.

I fill that emptiness with tacos.

like god intended.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance

I don't feel anything missing, so your assumption is wrong.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Which one?

browneyes

Well on a positive note, I think parents in search of a way to teach their children better values and morals sounds like a good idea. (I think God should be included but that's my belief.)

vbailey

vbailey
Well on a positive note, I think parents in search of a way to teach their children better values and morals sounds like a good idea. (I think God should be included but that's my belief.)

God has been the most positive thing in my life, I could not imagine living life without God. Every blessing in my life has come from loving and knowing God.

Xaquin44

Every blessing in my life has come from loving and knowing God.

mine has been from my wife, son, parents, friends, family, and coworkers .... but I'm sure all those people who have actually done things for you appreciate knowing that they are back seat.

Toxick

Splat
... pack their four kids into their blue minivan and head to the Humanist Community Center in Palo Alto, Calif., for atheist Sunday school."

So what exactly do they teach there? That there are no gods?

Sounds to me like it would take exactly 1 class to know all you need to know for gradutation.

vbailey

vbailey
mine has been from my wife, son, parents, friends, family, and coworkers .... but I'm sure all those people who have actually done things for you appreciate knowing that they are back seat.

All the people in my life are wonderful gifts from God, and I thank God for them every day. My husband and I are best friends, we have that relationship because of God. You can have a good life without God, but when you have God, wow, what a blessing it is.......God gave us Free Will, we can choose him or not.....He wants us to choose him because of the many blessing he can give us if only we ask. My family/friends are one of those blessings.

Toxick

Splat
Well, I'm certainly glad that this has turned into a Christian vs. NonChristian thread - because Christ knows we don't have enough of THOSE.

But - some (at least one) of us are interested in the original topic, which had absolutely nothing to do with Judeo-Christian faiths or their derivatives.

Xaquin44

If he gave you free will, then you chose your husband .... not god.

If god gave you your relationship then you don't have free will do you?

Last edited:

Xaquin44

Well, I'm certainly glad that this has turned into a Christian vs. NonChristian thread - because Christ knows we don't have enough of THOSE.

hehehe

But - some (at least one) of us are interested in the original topic, which had absolutely nothing to do with Judeo-Christian faiths or their derivatives.

well, since we know atheists don't believe in a supreme being, I suggested we talk about tacos

but noooooooo

This_person

If he gave you free will, then you chose your husband .... not god.

If god gave you your relationship then you don't have free will do you?
You know, I wasn't born when the Constitution was written. Certainly, it couldn't be for me. My family wasn't even in the area! And, my family (other than me) has no military history, so the rights and freedoms fought for and won after 230 odd years of our nation don't really belong to me. Or, do they?

Of course, we know they do. So, why are these rights and freedoms mine, when I did nothing to specifically choose them? Well, it's a birth right. I have the free will to move to another country, another continent - to be free from these rights and freedoms. I choose to stay. Free will. But, I still did nothing (theoretically) to earn these freedoms - they're just given to me. Should I be thankful to the men and women before me with the knowledge, skill, sacrifice, etc., for ME? They didn't know ME, so it couldn't be for ME, right?

It was for me, and all like me. I have reverence for their sacrifice, for the world they created for me, the laws and limits and everything about what is America.

Probably long before now, you're asking yourself what my point is. :lol:

God gives us the framework, the country, the freedoms, the moral base to know how to choose. They're our choices - we have free will. But, all of the "country" of our lives is because of God (for those of us who believe). We give thanks for the gifts He's given us, and acknowledge that our relationships are gifts, even though they are choices.

I hope this little analogy helps. I haven't given it a lot of forethought to make it work well, but I think you'll get the point.

This_person

Anybody think it's funny the guy running the place is named Bishop?

I did......

I had never heard the term "rationalist" before. Does that imply they believe having faith is irrational?

Xaquin44

You know, I wasn't born when the Constitution was written. Certainly, it couldn't be for me. My family wasn't even in the area! And, my family (other than me) has no military history, so the rights and freedoms fought for and won after 230 odd years of our nation don't really belong to me. Or, do they?

Of course, we know they do. So, why are these rights and freedoms mine, when I did nothing to specifically choose them? Well, it's a birth right. I have the free will to move to another country, another continent - to be free from these rights and freedoms. I choose to stay. Free will. But, I still did nothing (theoretically) to earn these freedoms - they're just given to me. Should I be thankful to the men and women before me with the knowledge, skill, sacrifice, etc., for ME? They didn't know ME, so it couldn't be for ME, right?

It was for me, and all like me. I have reverence for their sacrifice, for the world they created for me, the laws and limits and everything about what is America.

Probably long before now, you're asking yourself what my point is. :lol:

God gives us the framework, the country, the freedoms, the moral base to know how to choose. They're our choices - we have free will. But, all of the "country" of our lives is because of God (for those of us who believe). We give thanks for the gifts He's given us, and acknowledge that our relationships are gifts, even though they are choices.

I hope this little analogy helps. I haven't given it a lot of forethought to make it work well, but I think you'll get the point.

But even if the relationships 'given' by god are ours to take or walk away from then they are or are not our own doing, and not gods.

and as for the constitution (or any laws really) .... well people choose to break or uphold that document every day.

(I'll be honest I didn't really see where you were going with that one).