Super Bowl L...

SamSpade

Newton choked no more than others who screwed up on the field - both sides. The game was a replay of Denver - NE two weeks ago - dominated by defenses.

Friend of mine who dropped by my desk made the observation that defense wins SuperBowls. I have no idea how accurate that is.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Friend of mine who dropped by my desk made the observation that defense wins SuperBowls. I have no idea how accurate that is.

Very accurate. When the great offense meets the great defense, when the match up boils down to those two adjectives, the only time the 'great offense' wins is when it ALSO has a great defense. Great defenses can and do win when their offense is not so great and even mediocre and the other team merely has a great offense and not all that great of a defense.

BlueBird

And then there is that...

On what led to the Carolina Panthers' loss, Newton said, "It wasn't nothing special that they did. We dropped balls, we turned the ball over, gave up sacks, threw errant passes. That's it. They scored more points than us." Newton had little to say after that, shaking his head and saying, "I'm done, man."

Link

At the end of the day the team that scores the most points wins.

On a serious note, this was one of the lamest super bowls I've watched in a very long time. Neither team could really get it going on offense and both teams deserved to lose based on how their offenses played last night. The real viewers were those of us who expected an exciting game. The NFL's MVP had horrible numbers as did the NFL's golden boy on the other side of the ball. Proof that HGH is not really a performance enhancing drug after all.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
On a serious note, this was one of the lamest super bowls I've watched .

Disagree, totally. Two years ago was lame, far more lame, when Seattle took Denver apart from the first play to the last.

This game was, to be for sure, messy yet it was played hard. I love games like this, just taunt, every play matters. Denver played their asses off and so did the Panthers. If you like a lot of scoring and offenses moving up and down, OK, sure. However, football was and is about blocking and tackling first and foremost and this game was great on that count.

:buddies:

BlueBird

Disagree, totally. Two years ago was lame, far more lame, when Seattle took Denver apart from the first play to the last.

This game was, to be for sure, messy yet it was played hard. I love games like this, just taunt, every play matters. Denver played their asses off and so did the Panthers. If you like a lot of scoring and offenses moving up and down, OK, sure. However, football was and is about blocking and tackling first and foremost and this game was great on that count.

:buddies:

The Carolina Panthers were never in the game, there was no excitement towards the end as to who was going to win and both teams struggled to do anything offensively. The other game you mentioned was also a very lame super bowl. The best super bowls always come down to the final drive where both teams are so closely matched and play so well that either team can win all the way up to the last play. Last years super bowl was much more exciting. This game was over in the first quarter.

BlueBird

I guess I was watching a different game.

Perhaps you were. At what point did you ever get the feeling that the panthers weren't on a stage bigger than they could handle? This game will go down in history as forgettable and as one of the most boring super bowls in history. It's already being reported as such so I'm not alone in my opinion. Are you a Bronco's fan? Never a bad super bowl for the fans of the winning team. I'm not a fan of either team but as a fan of the game I expected a better showing from the leagues top two teams.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogergroves/2016/02/08/super-bowl-50-among-most-boring-in-history/#42685f30180a

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Perhaps you were. At what point did you ever get the feeling that the panthers weren't on a stage bigger than they could handle? This game will go down in history as forgettable and as one of the most boring super bowls in history. It's already being reported as such so I'm not alone in my opinion. Are you a Bronco's fan? Never a bad super bowl for the fans of the winning team. I'm not a fan of either team but as a fan of the game I expected a better showing from the leagues top two teams.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogergroves/2016/02/08/super-bowl-50-among-most-boring-in-history/#42685f30180a
Watching the game I was thinking that Carolina (Cam) would pull something off and get momentum.

BlueBird

Watching the game I was thinking that Carolina (Cam) would pull something off and get momentum.

I was hoping they would but I sat there watching and feeling they were in way over their heads. Denver defense had all the momentum. Carolina defense was stout but they were up against a flat offense to begin with. I was expecting a close game up until the very end and of course more scoring by both teams. From the very beginning the panthers offense was horrible and they never looked like they had a chance.

Hank

my war

Honestly... I was calling the gambling fix the second half.... Especially when he didn't go for that ball he fumbled and stepped away from it. I was yelling, The Fix, The Fix, The Fix!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Honestly... I was calling the gambling fix the second half.... Especially when he didn't go for that ball he fumbled and stepped away from it. I was yelling, The Fix, The Fix, The Fix!

A pal of mine was a darn good high school athlete in the DC area, QB in football, and he's suggested to me that he thinks the NFL is fixed. Coming from anyone who never played, I'd say 'you have no idea what you're talking about, the game is FAR too difficult for that' and yet when this dude said it, with his resume, it forced me to consider it. I still think it is FAR too difficult for that to be the case. In any event, to your point, Cam was a beaten player who'd long since folded his tent and was going through the motions by that point. In my view.

Grumpy

Cam was a beaten player who'd long since folded his tent and was going through the motions by that point. In my view.

Made a comment to my b-in-law late 2nd quarter or 3rd during a close-up that he had the look of a beaten man in his eyes.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Made a comment to my b-in-law late 2nd quarter or 3rd during a close-up that he had the look of a beaten man in his eyes.

He looked bad from the fumble/TD on. I was thinking "Ok, shell shocked, hyper ventilating a little, totally off his confidence." And I was thinking it was gonna take him a period or two to shake it off. BUT I kept thinking he was gonna stick his nose in there, take a big hit, get his cobwebs cleared and settle in. BUT I did not count him out until the last fumble when he gave up that "I'm done" look. IF this didn't humble him, I don't know what will. He needed it, he got it but now, they need to find a way to build him back up and they can't do it if he doesn't come to grips with his own immaturity. Next year will be interesting because, as usual in the NFL, when the next hotshot comes along, Kaerpnick, Robert, whomever, if they don't evolve, the league eats them alive the next year.

Now, we find out if the kid can learn to read and read fast. Enjoyed the game a lot and I thought he was gonna make it close. :buddies:

Hank

my war
He looked bad from the fumble/TD on. I was thinking "Ok, shell shocked, hyper ventilating a little, totally off his confidence." And I was thinking it was gonna take him a period or two to shake it off. BUT I kept thinking he was gonna stick his nose in there, take a big hit, get his cobwebs cleared and settle in. BUT I did not count him out until the last fumble when he gave up that "I'm done" look. IF this didn't humble him, I don't know what will. He needed it, he got it but now, they need to find a way to build him back up and they can't do it if he doesn't come to grips with his own immaturity. Next year will be interesting because, as usual in the NFL, when the next hotshot comes along, Kaerpnick, Robert, whomever, if they don't evolve, the league eats them alive the next year.

Now, we find out if the kid can learn to read and read fast. Enjoyed the game a lot and I thought he was gonna make it close. :buddies:

He'll be back... I enjoyed watching him this year. Sucks to see the media and idiots rip him apart for every move he makes, unfortunately it's part of the beast for being famous and excelling. He is out there having fun. An NFL player's shelf life isn't very long, especially a QB. Just let the kid have fun! As far as the press conference, so what, he just took a big chit in the Super Bowl. Of course he is bummed and doesn't have much to say. So "we" rake him over the coals for that? Give me a break! He shook the hands with his opponents after the game, that is sportsmanship, not sitting there answering the same question after question from the mouth breathing media! Far worse professional athletes out there compared to him! Far Worse!

On another note, I knew Denver's Defense was good, but they are really ####ing good!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
He'll be back... I enjoyed watching him this year. Sucks to see the media and idiots rip him apart for every move he makes, unfortunately it's part of the beast for being famous and excelling. He is out there having fun. An NFL player's shelf life isn't very long, especially a QB. Just let the kid have fun! As far as the press conference, so what, he just took a big chit in the Super Bowl. Of course he is bummed and doesn't have much to say. So "we" rake him over the coals for that? Give me a break! He shook the hands with his opponents after the game, that is sportsmanship, not sitting there answering the same question after question from the mouth breathing media! Far worse professional athletes out there compared to him! Far Worse!

On another note, I knew Denver's Defense was good, but they are really ####ing good!

I agree with you, BUT, I also think being decent and having good manners is important. Sorry, I guess it's the mom in me. :ohwell:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I agree with you, BUT, I also think being decent and having good manners is important. Sorry, I guess it's the mom in me. :ohwell:

This loss and the embarrassing way he behaved can very well be the best thing that ever happened to him; big, fat ego check.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

A lot of this has to fall on his coaches and the team. They are the adults in the room. They KNOW he HAS to talk to the press afterwards and that they have deadlines and stories to file. They KNOW he still has some growing up to do and maybe this was their way to get him to do it; let him go make an ass of himself?

PeoplesElbow

A pal of mine was a darn good high school athlete in the DC area, QB in football, and he's suggested to me that he thinks the NFL is fixed. Coming from anyone who never played, I'd say 'you have no idea what you're talking about, the game is FAR too difficult for that' and yet when this dude said it, with his resume, it forced me to consider it. I still think it is FAR too difficult for that to be the case. In any event, to your point, Cam was a beaten player who'd long since folded his tent and was going through the motions by that point. In my view.

I think it is fixed, not from the point of who wins and loses but to keep games exciting to generate more ad revenue, to keep people watching longer and not tune out in the 4th quarter. Far too many games are decided on last second field goals.