TAKING OVER: Squatters are tormenting homeowners across the US with no resolution in sight

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Resolving squatting incidents can take months or even years to litigate through the court system

Homeowners across the country tormented by squatters find themselves tied up in lengthy and expensive legal battles to get control of their properties back – and one expert warns many others can find themselves victims.

Real estate lawyer Jim Burling told Fox News Digital that any home unoccupied for a stretch can be a target of squatters.

"I think it's a fairly big problem and I think it's pretty hard to avoid," said Burling, who is vice president of litigation for Pacific Legal Foundation. Burling said squatters took over a neighbor's home after the owner died and eventually had to be removed by police.

"If somebody is living in a home and saying 'hey, I signed a lease, I'm paying rent, I have a right to be here,' whether or not that’s true the police hear that story then they hear a story of somebody who's not living there and saying 'this is my place these people don't belong here,' the police officer can't make that legal determination," Burling said.

OccamsRazor

"If somebody is living in a home and saying 'hey, I signed a lease, I'm paying rent, I have a right to be here,' whether or not that’s true the police hear that story then they hear a story of somebody who's not living there and saying 'this is my place these people don't belong here,' the police officer can't make that legal determination," Burling said.
If someone has signed a lease AND is paying rent then they are not squatters. They are tenants.

GregV814

or several hives of bees down the chimney...maybe a few skunks.... drop a few copperheads....let your imagination flow...

Reactions: BOP

DaSDGuy

Go to the house with a dozen or so friends, change the locks, and throw out the trash. If they complain to the police that they have a lease say they are lying and they can talk to the judge in court about it.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Go to the house with a dozen or so friends, change the locks, and throw out the trash. If they complain to the police that they have a lease say they are lying and they can talk to the judge in court about it.
Or, with those same friends, pin 'em on the floor, roll them up in the carpet, zip-tie it tight and dispose of the carpet in a landfill.

Reactions: BOP

OccamsRazor

The lease is fiction.

It's the latest way their ####ing up the works to delay their departure.
The story is about squatters though..not tenants.
My point was about how the police cannot "make the legal determination." Wouldn't asking them for a copy of a leasing agreement at least provide some kind of offer of proof to make one? I realize it's not the police's job to make legal decisions but it would certainly determine whether or not the person is a squatter or not.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Not read the story but I'm guessing someone is always in the house? It is never left unattended?

PeoplesElbow

My point was about how the police cannot "make the legal determination." Wouldn't asking them for a copy of a leasing agreement at least provide some kind of offer of proof to make one? I realize it's not the police's job to make legal decisions but it would certainly determine whether or not the person is a squatter or not.
It's a civil action not a criminal one. Police can't do anything about a civil issue without a court order

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Roger that. There are a number of situations that police find themselves in where they probably know what is right and wrong about it but are prevented by policy and procedure from making any determination. Got to be frustrating as hell at times.

The problems with illegal squatting - and evictions in general - have been around for a long time. I recall the horror stories back 25 years ago when I had a bunch of rentals. I only had one such case myself...the tenant would protect themselves from legal eviction by paying just enough of the back rent due, at the last possible minute, to "reset the clock". I eventually found other ways to "entice them to leave"...:cool:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
oh..and never rent to a bunch of recently separated/divorced bachelors. Nothing but trouble.

PeoplesElbow

Roger that. There are a number of situations that police find themselves in where they probably know what is right and wrong about it but are prevented by policy and procedure from making any determination. Got to be frustrating as hell at times.

The problems with illegal squatting - and evictions in general - have been around for a long time. I recall the horror stories back 25 years ago when I had a bunch of rentals. I only had one such case myself...the tenant would protect themselves from legal eviction by paying just enough of the back rent due, at the last possible minute, to "reset the clock". I eventually found other ways to "entice them to leave"...:cool:
We had a guy that was like that. My dad had cancer and was down to 140 lbs, but whatever he said to this guy sure got his ass to start paying on time.

Then the real scary part, my mom got involved and found out who all he owed money to and made sure they knew how to find him.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I was evicting a tenant around 25 years ago. A GS type. Guy paid his rent right on time for 6 months. Then nothing. Once I got the final eviction notice, it goes to the sheriff who posts it. It gives then so many hours to vacate.

But that's not what happened. Turns out the day of the final notice posting, this guy declares bankruptcy. Per Florida law, you can't evict someone going through bankruptcy. So he bought him and his family a little more time. Of course come bankruptcy hearing day, the guy doesn't show up for court. I drive by the property and look in the windows. It's now vacant. While this was going on, I made sure to not go anywhere near that property because I was so pissed at this azzhole. I was afraid my foot might confuse the gas pedal for the brake pedal if I saw him in the street.

Looking over his bankruptcy paperwork, this guy did this same thing every 6 months more or less. I was the 3rd landlord listed on his paperwork. But can you imagine how disruptive that is to your entire family. He had teenage kids. This is 1 of those examples where I have to not put my values on what other people do.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Looking over his bankruptcy paperwork, this guy did this same thing every 6 months more or less. I was the 3rd landlord listed on his paperwork. But can you imagine how disruptive that is to your entire family. He had teenage kids. This is 1 of those examples where I have to not put my values on what other people do.

You misspelled "grifters in training"

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

tell us more .........