Tell me, was I that wrong in my response?

MMDad

Lem Putt
Esprix said:
Agreed - introducing your male partner as your "wife" is asking to be laughed at, IMHO. "Partner," "husband," "significant other," whatever, all perfectly acceptable, but "wife" to a complete stranger (and in a non-gay setting no less)? If he meant it as a joke, he shouldn't have been offended that you laughed at it.

Esprix

I agree with you for once. :yay:

I don't care what you call each other in private or public, but in a business environment, why would you intentionally cripple the relationship?

Esprix

MMDad said:
I agree with you for once. :yay:

I don't care what you call each other in private or public, but in a business environment, why would you intentionally cripple the relationship?

Well, that's not what I meant. I think introducing him as his partner is, IMHO, perfectly acceptable in any environment, although of course he runs the risk of meeting someone who is homophobic - that's the way the world is these days, unfortunately. The term "wife," however, isn't the appropriate way to do so, IMHO.

Of course, being homophobic is really the bad business decision - our money's just as green as anyone else's. :)

Esprix

Otter

Nothing to see here
Esprix said:
- that's the way the world is these days, unfortunately.

That is a stupid statement.."these days"?? My gawd, you idiot, being gay is 100 times more acceptable "these days" than it was 30 years ago. Tell me I'm wrong.

Wetnoodle

bcp said:
So here I was today at this little business type lunch that was set up for like type business concerns as mine, sort of a meet and greet share ideas type of thing.
These two guys come up, dressed in suits and began talking to me and my business (non gay) partner.

after a few moments of conversation I did introduce my business partner as such, they one of the two introduced his partner,,,,, as his WIFE!!! :killingme

So, was it wrong of me to laugh and assume that it was a joke? they both seemed to get rather pissed at me and just walked away..

I just assumed that the other guy was the accountant and held the company purse strings, I had no clue that they were actually bumping uglies.

Oh well,, I guess they are not interested in my business thoughts.
Was this in ST marys ??

MMDad

Lem Putt
Esprix said:
Well, that's not what I meant. I think introducing him as his partner is, IMHO, perfectly acceptable in any environment, although of course he runs the risk of meeting someone who is homophobic - that's the way the world is these days, unfortunately. The term "wife," however, isn't the appropriate way to do so, IMHO.

Of course, being homophobic is really the bad business decision - our money's just as green as anyone else's. :)

Esprix

If you are in a business environment and you define yourself by your sexuality, you can expect to alienate someone. That is true for all versions of sexuality. Anyone who would advertise their sexuality during a business introduction doesn't deserve to get any business. It's just like racism. If you define yourself by your race, you shouldn't expect to be accepted.

Esprix

otter said:
That is a stupid statement.."these days"?? My gawd, you idiot, being gay is 100 times more acceptable "these days" than it was 30 years ago. Tell me I'm wrong.

Oh, no, I totally agree, but there's still a lot of anti-gay sentiment in the world, obviously.

Esprix

Esprix

MMDad said:
If you are in a business environment and you define yourself by your sexuality, you can expect to alienate someone. That is true for all versions of sexuality. Anyone who would advertise their sexuality during a business introduction doesn't deserve to get any business. It's just like racism. If you define yourself by your race, you shouldn't expect to be accepted.

Well there we'll have to disagree. I wouldn't discriminate against someone just because they introduced me to their spouse (which doesn't really qualify as "defining themselves," IMHO).

Esprix

MMDad

Lem Putt
Esprix said:
Well there we'll have to disagree. I wouldn't discriminate against someone just because they introduced me to their spouse (which doesn't really qualify as "defining themselves," IMHO).

Esprix

That's why you have problems. Stop defining yourself by your sexuality. There is no reason to be ashamed of what you are, but there is also no reason to be proud of it.

We all have our own sexuality. I was born straight, you were born gay. I don't care. When I was younger, I was proud to be straight. As I grew older, I realized that everyone is proud of what they are. I know that I am straight, but that doesn't make me any better or different than anyone else. I now define myself as a father, husband, and a professional. I don't define myself as hetero, although that is the preference I was born with.

Defining yourself by your sexuality is a very immature thing to do. One day you may grow out of that. At that point, you will no longer care if people point, stare, or make jokes. I know many gay people who choose to live their lives without caring about how society perceives them. They don't offend people, they are not ashamed, and they are not offended. I honestly hope that one day you may find that peace.

Esprix

MMDad said:
That's why you have problems. Stop defining yourself by your sexuality. There is no reason to be ashamed of what you are, but there is also no reason to be proud of it.

We all have our own sexuality. I was born straight, you were born gay. I don't care. When I was younger, I was proud to be straight. As I grew older, I realized that everyone is proud of what they are. I know that I am straight, but that doesn't make me any better or different than anyone else. I now define myself as a father, husband, and a professional. I don't define myself as hetero, although that is the preference I was born with.

Defining yourself by your sexuality is a very immature thing to do. One day you may grow out of that. At that point, you will no longer care if people point, stare, or make jokes. I know many gay people who choose to live their lives without caring about how society perceives them. They don't offend people, they are not ashamed, and they are not offended. I honestly hope that one day you may find that peace.

Um, I'm not quite sure how it is you think you know anything about me other than what I've posted on one local internet message board, but suffice it to say you've made a few leaps that are inaccurate. I'll just leave it at that.

And, by the way, I also meant that if any male person introduced me to his female wife, I would neither conclude he was "defining himself" as heterosexual, nor would I not do business with him based on that fact (nor would I say he was "flaunting" his sex life, either). I am always hopeful that, should I introduce my partner to someone in a business setting, they feel the same way about me. That was all I meant to say.

Esprix

MMDad

Lem Putt
Esprix said:
Um, I'm not quite sure how it is you think you know anything about me other than what I've posted on one local internet message board, but suffice it to say you've made a few leaps that are inaccurate. I'll just leave it at that.

And, by the way, I also meant that if any male person introduced me to his female wife, I would neither conclude he was "defining himself" as heterosexual, nor would I not do business with him based on that fact (nor would I say he was "flaunting" his sex life, either). I am always hopeful that, should I introduce my partner to someone in a business setting, they feel the same way about me. That was all I meant to say.

Esprix

You throw around the accusation of "homophobe" rather freely. Have you ever considered that you may be a heterophobe?

Esprix

MMDad said:
You throw around the accusation of "homophobe" rather freely. Have you ever considered that you may be a heterophobe?

It's the accepted term for discrimination against or bigotry towards the gay community, such as racism is towards people of color, sexism towards gender, anti-Semitism towards Jews, etc., and that's the context in which I'm using it.

Esprix

bcp

In My Opinion
Esprix said:
It's the accepted term for discrimination against or bigotry towards the gay community, such as racism is towards people of color, sexism towards gender, anti-Semitism towards Jews, etc., and that's the context in which I'm using it.

Esprix
Accepted by whom? the gay community? Since I dont accept the gay communtiy as normal and real, I dont expect I would accept the term homophobe. which by the way would indicate a fear of homos,, not quite true if you know what I mean.

Biologically speaking, homosexuality is not normal or healthy in many ways.
violation of the one way street can bring with it heavy fines,,, and bad accidents and injury.

Esprix

bcp said:
Accepted by whom? the gay community? Since I dont accept the gay communtiy as normal and real, I dont expect I would accept the term homophobe. which by the way would indicate a fear of homos,, not quite true if you know what I mean.

Biologically speaking, homosexuality is not normal or healthy in many ways.
violation of the one way street can bring with it heavy fines,,, and bad accidents and injury.

Accepted by modern English language conventions. The suffix "-phobia" may be a technical misnomer in some cases, but that's the term that's used.

As for the rest of your opinion, I wholeheartedly disagree. :)

Esprix

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
MMDad said:
That's why you have problems. Stop defining yourself by your sexuality. There is no reason to be ashamed of what you are, but there is also no reason to be proud of it. Proud is OK here, but why must it even be shown? This is business, not casualness.

I genuinely admire this response. I might edit here or there but for the most part, it speaks what I feel about business relationships, meetings with such people, etc.

Why should sexuality be mentioned in that sort of meeting? What does the inclusion of one's sexuality, or proclivities have to do with a professional relationship?

bcp

In My Opinion
Esprix said:
Accepted by modern English language conventions. The suffix "-phobia" may be a technical misnomer in some cases, but that's the term that's used.

As for the rest of your opinion, I wholeheartedly disagree. :)

Esprix
As for the Accepted by modern English language,, I dont think so.
Search the word and all you end up with are links to sites that provide an outlet for the pansy boys to whine about how the normal people dont like them.
so, I stand on my theory that it is only accepted by the non normal community.

as for the other items you disagree with.. so be it.
But, Im pretty sure that research will find that the anus is not designed as a two way street, and damage can occur when drivin in an improper direction.

Esprix

bcp said:
As for the Accepted by modern English language,, I dont think so.
Search the word and all you end up with are links to sites that provide an outlet for the pansy boys to whine about how the normal people dont like them.
so, I stand on my theory that it is only accepted by the non normal community.

as for the other items you disagree with.. so be it.
But, Im pretty sure that research will find that the anus is not designed as a two way street, and damage can occur when drivin in an improper direction.

Since your theory has been disproved by Merriam-Webster, you'll pardon me if I don't take your thoughts on the matter as an authority.

As for the rest... bygones! :p

Esprix

Esprix

Penn said:
Why should sexuality be mentioned in that sort of meeting? What does the inclusion of one's sexuality, or proclivities have to do with a professional relationship?

Since it seemed to have been a social gathering of professionals, I don't think it's at all odd to introduce one's spouse if one brought him or her.

Esprix

camily

Peace
bcp, usually I'm lovin' you. What's up with the hate?Also, you think anal is not right for a man and woman also? Personally, it's not my cup of tea but I'd be lyin' if I said I never did it. Does that mean I'm a member of the "non normal" community? I have had no damage occur. :killingme

MMDad

Lem Putt
camily said:
bcp, usually I'm lovin' you. What's up with the hate?Also, you think anal is not right for a man and woman also? Personally, it's not my cup of tea but I'd be lyin' if I said I never did it. Does that mean I'm a member of the "non normal" community? I have had no damage occur. :killingme

You promised not to tell! :razz: