Tell me why you don't auto-pay your bills?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
For your consideration ...

Auto pay is great, when using your credit card to pay for everything instead of attaching to your bank account number. Cash back, points, or travel miles really adds up quick this way. Even use credit card to pay the mortgage. Then just pay the credit card balance off every month. Win-win.
what mortgage company lets you pay wiith a credit card?

SamSpade

I auto-pay everything I can because I'm a busy person who can't be bothered with things that will auto for me. When we first moved into our house I was paying the resort fee manually....until one month it was late being billed and I forgot about it until the resort mgr texted me that I hadn't paid yet.

:mad:

Any Luddites on here still paying monthly/annual bills manually? And why?
Very few. I had Verizon on auto-pay until I noticed a jump in the cost and noticed that my credit card suddenly had a ton of charges I didn't make.

This is a card FROM Verizon that I only use - for Verizon. Somehow there were charges, one for a dentist - in the PHILLIPINES.
So, no, have to check everything.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

what mortgage company lets you pay wiith a credit card?

Here's an article on how I do it. Even with the fee charge, I still come out ahead. Add in all the other monthly bills paid by credit card, electricity, cell phone, etc., the rewards really add up. And one of the benefits of using a credit card is that if something goes awry, some charge you need to challenge, the credit card companies will back you and investigate.

Oh. And one other thing. It's been mentioned that sometimes to stop a company from charging, when you can't get them to do so, is cancelling the card. Instead, just call the credit card company and say that your card was stolen or lost. They will issue you a new card with a new number under your existing account. So when a company that tries to charge your card again, they get declined.

HemiHauler

Just asking but - isn't Congress trying to cancel out rewards, from credit cards?
It’s the Credit Card Competition Act of 2022. Senate bill below.

I don’t think this will end rewards programs. They want to put an end to transaction fees on cards, a cost borne directly by the merchant but certainly part of the retail price on goods.

The criticism that the the loss of these fees will reduce the amount of money with which they can fund these programs. These programs are largely paid for by late fees, interest charges, etc.

Processing credit transactions is a very real cost to merchants. I don’t know what business government has sticking its beak in here.

SamSpade

I don’t think this will end rewards programs. They want to put an end to transaction fees on cards, a cost borne directly by the merchant but certainly part of the retail price on goods.

The criticism that the the loss of these fees will reduce the amount of money with which they can fund these programs. These programs are largely paid for by late fees, interest charges, etc.

Processing credit transactions is a very real cost to merchants. I don’t know what business government has sticking its beak in here.
I hadn't looked at the bill, just what commercials were saying - the implication being the consumers are getting money that isn't being taxed.

OccamsRazor

If these transaction fees are directly impacting merchants (and assumed to be passed on to consumers), and these programs are largely funded by late fees and interest then... why is it bad for government to try to eliminate them?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yeah I know. Still, I can remember a couple of home repairs that I paid with a credit card and paid the card with savings. Made about 500.

When I buy something with points, it's taxed. When I've gotten cash back from a credit card, it was taxed.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
My Mom recently paid a $900 water bill after calling to ask why suddenly it was so high (usually under $200) and they said she had to pay it first and then dispute it to avoid having her service terminated WTH? Turns out they made an error and she has a $700 credit on her account. I said call them and ask for it to be returned. URGH THIS is why I don't auto pay anything from my bank account! I have 2 auto-pays and they go to a Credit Card where the damage can be challenged easily w/o affecting my money in the bank.

Tech

Very few. I had Verizon on auto-pay until I noticed a jump in the cost and noticed that my credit card suddenly had a ton of charges I didn't make.

This is a card FROM Verizon that I only use - for Verizon. Somehow there were charges, one for a dentist - in the PHILLIPINES.
So, no, have to check everything.
Verizon gives me a discount using a checking draft, think it's $10 a line.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I had a $700+ bill once but it was the result of a broken water line from the main to the house.