Tesla successes

glhs837

Power with Control
Pick your source.....

Paywall WSJ

Marketwatch

Forbes, they seem to feel like you do.

Most of it seems to revolve around how you feel about energy storage and the upcoming AI day/Robotaxi unveiling. Those with confidence that the company will be showing stuff that's close to production that will impact the bottom line have higher targets. NMone of this touches on the potential for the robot, Optimus. If they can produce those for say 20K and they are useful even in limited applications, that could get pretty nuts. A fraction of the materials of a car, but for say 40K, it it replaces a worker whose burdened cost is 80-100K, they will sell like hotcakes. Not even for sale. Just used internally, it changes the COGS considerably.

Clem72

NMone of this touches on the potential for the robot, Optimus. If they can produce those for say 20K and they are useful even in limited applications, that could get pretty nuts. A fraction of the materials of a car, but for say 40K, it it replaces a worker whose burdened cost is 80-100K, they will sell like hotcakes. Not even for sale. Just used internally, it changes the COGS considerably.
Maybe using robots instead of Californians they will finally get some consistent panel gaps.

glhs837

Power with Control
Maybe using robots instead of Californians they will finally get some consistent panel gaps.

No so much noise about that as there had been. Moving to castings front and rear have made a big difference. Those sort of force a consistency of location that multi-part subframes can never match. Part of California's problem was that it was both the first factory and it was someone else's ICE factory they repurposed.

Each successive factory has been ground up and incorporated lessons learned in the last one. Then they retrofit the good stuff backward. But CA inst an easy fit.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
IMG_6490.jpeg

glhs837

Power with Control
I don't care what it's called, as long as it's NOT called a truck. :lmao:

Why not? Truck encompasses a lot of different stuff these days. Had one guy that anything that couldn't tow a CAT D6 wasnt a real truck:) What variable is missing?

glhs837

Power with Control
Ok but I still don't see it, and as far as BOA, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. I got to look into Wedbush for sure.
Still popping off ...... What did you find out? I see the US govt has bought a Model 3, China sales looking good.

phreddyp

Still popping off ...... What did you find out? I see the US govt has bought a Model 3, China sales looking good.
From what I have read the biggest driver at the moment is the speculation on the robotaxi debut I believe it is supposed to be on August 8th, the other is some type of other robot that Tesla is developing but have not found exactly what that is. As far as sales and delivery both were down in the second quarter approx 4% and have not seen any guidance for the rest of the year. What did you find?

glhs837

Power with Control
From what I have read the biggest driver at the moment is the speculation on the robotaxi debut I believe it is supposed to be on August 8th, the other is some type of other robot that Tesla is developing but have not found exactly what that is. As far as sales and delivery both were down in the second quarter approx 4% and have not seen any guidance for the rest of the year. What did you find?
The robot is called Optimus. Big points on it are that it leverages advantages of Tesla that are very hard for anyone else. Vertical integration, AI learning, manufacturing efficiency. This should allow them to firled one that's better, faster to market and massively more flexible.

phreddyp

The robot is called Optimus. Big points on it are that it leverages advantages of Tesla that are very hard for anyone else. Vertical integration, AI learning, manufacturing efficiency. This should allow them to firled one that's better, faster to market and massively more flexible.
Yeah, that name rings a bell, so it is supposed to be a production line robot or is that just one part of its application?

glhs837

Power with Control
The factory and other internal Tesla uses first I imagine. Then curated leases. Like the cars, part of the advantage is the ability of the AI for each unit to learn from all the units. Think of the Tesla Semi rollout. They spent a year hauling stuff from one Tesla plant to another. Now they've had 50 units working for Pepsi for a year or so. More entering service soon. Factory under construction in Nevada for those.

glhs837

Power with Control
So it outsold both of the "conventional" EV trucks combined. What's funny is that they haven't even broken out the inexpensive models yet..... They are going to sell the minimum 100K and 120K units until demand drops off. Will be interesting to see what the non-Foundation Series price out at....... Not baad for a truck many said would never be built.

Reactions: TPD

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

So it outsold both of the "conventional" EV trucks combined. What's funny is that they haven't even broken out the inexpensive models yet..... They are going to sell the minimum 100K and 120K units until demand drops off. Will be interesting to see what the non-Foundation Series price out at....... Not baad for a truck many said would never be built.

A fool and his money are soon parted?

PeoplesElbow

Still about 1k units behind the Pontiac Aztek in its first year.

glhs837

Power with Control
Still about 1k units behind the Pontiac Aztek in its first year.

Still months to go. And the Aztek sold for less than 25K loaded. And the CT never going to sell like the gas F-150, except maybe like the upper end ones. The price for the average F-150 is a bit under 60K. Spec it with the feature's a CT brings and I'll bet you are closer to the 8oK a dual motor CT will cost when released. The point is that many said it would never get built, and if it did, it wouldn't sell much at all. Or that Tesla couldn't make money on them. Since none of the ones they are selling right now cost less than 100K, they are most likely making money per unit, but of course development and production stand up costs need to be paid down.

See, that's where the legacy auto makers sort of hand wave profit/loss. We know they are all losing billions, but the key thing none of them say is if they are making money on each car sold over production cost. If you are doing that, then you can eventually pay off those initial costs. But if not, you are sinking money into a hole. That was GMs problem with the Bolt. Ignoring stand up, it still cost them more to build each one than they made selling them. And that was the thing Tesla's detractors ignored. they screamed about Tesla "losing money" when in fact they were making enough profit on each one to not only pay of those initial costs, but to pay down debt and fund the building of three state of the art factories.

glhs837

Power with Control
So, Supercharging a big sucess story.

I went out to Target here in bustling Silverdale, Wa. A town on 20K or so people near Bremerton. Saw these in the back of the lot. Look ready to go, I assume final permission to turn them on is the holdup. Brand new, 12 units with longer cable and currently capped at 250kW per charger. Also have the ability to accept card payments and have a screen so you don't need an app. Note the second picture. Each one sits on a precast box that's dropped in the trench over the mains power below, wires fed up through to the charger. A site like this, the longest pole in the tent is setting up the mains power to those big white boxes. The its trench, set up units, run cable and walk away. Can be done in less than a week, and the whole thing most likely cost less than 1/4 of what another charging company might spend.

Fed spent billions of giveaway dollars to states and got 7 freaking chargers. Tesla does this to the tune of thousands a year..... Found a local thread. Permits applied for in late April. Since then the longest parts were waiting for inspection between steps. All done in less than three months even so. Except of course the power company has to do their part.

Superchargers in Silverdale.jpg

Supercharger in Silverdale.jpg