Tesla

glhs837

Power with Control
The official unveiling tomorrow with all the numbers and such. I think Joe dropped some numbers today but I didn't look at them yet. Just have to see where the specs and numbers fall out. The problem they will face is how to make these with enough range and performance for a competitive price. Takes a huge battery, and efficient use of it. And great aero...nevermind. Tune in after the reveal.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The problem they will face is how to make these with enough range and performance for a competitive price.
I'll be interested in that too. One of the reasons I have a truck is for towing and sometimes that towing is very long distance. That's going to be tough with electric.

PeoplesElbow

I keep waiting for that competition. So far not a lot to look at. Fisker might make it, might not. They hired Magna to make the one, now Foxconn, who have never built cars, is going to jump in. A bit early to decide if thats going to work out, IMO.

I do own, and I'm holding for quite a while. 10,000 cars might seem like a lot, but in the larger scheme..... not so much, I think. Two factories coming online this year, new casting mthods to drop the cost to make them, battery factories co-located with those factories reducing cost even further. Will still be a good year, with 22 looking to be even better as four factories ramp to full production with lower cost vehicles.

I think Teslas high multiple is due to the lack of competition. Their biggest direct competition in the US will be Ford and GM with Toyotas PHEVs also being a serious threat. If they do a PHEV Tundra that will win over those wanting to tow without thinking about having to charge mid tow.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I think Teslas high multiple is due to the lack of competition. Their biggest direct competition in the US will be Ford and GM with Toyotas PHEVs also being a serious threat. If they do a PHEV Tundra that will win over those wanting to tow without thinking about having to charge mid tow.
Well, this is interesting too. Ford has a version of the F-150 with a large generator built into the transmission to provide 240vac power at camp and work sites. If someone were to implement a large generator into a PHEV and use it while the vehicle was in ICE mode, in theory the EV batteries could be charged while driving.

PeoplesElbow

Well, this is interesting too. Ford has a version of the F-150 with a large generator built into the transmission to provide 240vac power at camp and work sites. If someone were to implement a large generator into a PHEV and use it while the vehicle was in ICE mode, in theory the EV batteries could be charged while driving.
That is how a PHEV works, just like a hybrid with an bigger battery, bigger traction motor, and a plug. Some people actually never plug them in.

The Toyota PHEV RAV4 Prime is currently selling for $10k above MSRP if you can get one. :eek:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Electric Ford F-150 Lightning's Battery Weighs Over 1,800 Pounds By Itself

The electric Ford F-150 Lightning is being revealed in full tomorrow after years of hype, even though it made a surprise appearance today. The battery-powered pickup will be one of the automaker's most important models ever, and it signals the brand's commitment to EVs by completely transforming the country's best-selling vehicle, full stop.

U.S. President Joe Biden toured Ford's Rouge Electric Vehicle plant on Tuesday to get a better understanding of the company's approach to zero-emission cars and trucks, unmasking the F-150 Lightning in the process. The president also spent some time with the truck's underpinnings, previewing how the battery pack fits within the frame--all 1,800-plus pounds of it.

that will be one hell of a fire

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
That is how a PHEV works, just like a hybrid with an bigger battery, bigger traction motor, and a plug. Some people actually never plug them in.
I wasn't aware anyone had moved to on-board charging yet, seemed it was either battery or gas operation, but not charging while driving. :yay:

PeoplesElbow

If TSLA drops below 550 it's broken what I think will be it's resistance point. Their exposure to BTC is really bad considering what just happened.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'll be interested in that too. One of the reasons I have a truck is for towing and sometimes that towing is very long distance. That's going to be tough with electric.

Yeah, thats why they are targeting the 1/2 tons. You "tow long, tow large" folks are into the bigger trucks, generally. Unless you pack some battery into the trailer and aero the heck out of it, most likely towing like you do is a non-starter.

See, the issue with PEHVs is that you lose a lot of the benefits of EVs, namely mechanical simplicity and lack of required maint.

Someone is working on wireless charging while you drive

I think that methods lack of efficiency will make sure it's never widespread.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Yeah, thats why they are targeting the 1/2 tons. You "tow long, tow large" folks are into the bigger trucks, generally. Unless you pack some battery into the trailer and aero the heck out of it, most likely towing like you do is a non-starter.
I'm in the 1/2 ton class, GMC Sierra 1500. I don't tow huge trailers, but have been known to pull a car carrier across the country, and lots of pulling motorcycles and small campers anywhere from NY to NC to AR. Even a small trailer would add significantly to an EV's load and power consumption.

The new EV trucks are def on my radar...

PeoplesElbow

See, the issue with PEHVs is that you lose a lot of the benefits of EVs, namely mechanical simplicity and lack of required maint.
Maybe of pure electric vehicles, but it is a misconception they are more complicated than ICE vehicles. With Toyotas there is no true transmission and there is almost no brake wear, no starter , no altenator, so the maint is significantly less for a HEV. The PHEV is used a lot for short trips as a BEV and then for longer ones as a HEV on steroids. Something like a Tundra used to tow and with a no towing 40 mile battery only range for around town trips would be awesome.