Texas bans safest and most common abortion procedure after 13 weeks

black dog

Free America
well it's handy that they make those little garbage bags for you men to put the seed in if you're not gonna use it to sow, right? no sowing, no wild oats...no need for the next abortion - voila!

I agree more men and women ( you know they make bags and many other means to prevent pregnancy ) should use garbage bags more often, and we should ramp up the amount of abortions that are done.. Maybe the States should offer a bounty, like bring in a friend and you get yours 50% off.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I have never understood this anti-abortion thing. Why do people care so much about something that has no direct bearing upon themselves? So what if a woman wants to have an abortion, for whatever reason? If there was no agreement, in any stage of the relationship, between a man and a woman, as for wanting a child, and she gets pregnant and decides for an abortion, so what? Really? Why do so many people stick their hoity-toity myopic life views, religious or otherwise, in another person's life? I just don't get it. And don't care.

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

I have never understood this anti-abortion thing. Why do people care so much about something that has no direct bearing upon themselves? So what if a woman wants to have an abortion, for whatever reason? If there was no agreement, in any stage of the relationship, between a man and a woman, as for wanting a child, and she gets pregnant and decides for an abortion, so what? Really? Why do so many people stick their hoity-toity myopic life views, religious or otherwise, in another person's life? I just don't get it. And don't care.

Yeppppp..... I always laugh at the anti-abortion men that spew stupid $hit.
If a man doesn't want to be involved in a abortion, don't nut up in there.
If you are a woman and don't want a abortion, don't let him nut up in there.

My wife is six weeks pregnant, and there's a heartbeat already. We keep people on life support without brain function, but kill potential life. It's sad to hear people be so flippant when it comes to abortion. Personal responsibility could solve a lot of these problems. I would wager a high percentage of abortions come from one night stands, people not in a serious relationship, or because of decisions made while drunk.

That being said, outlawing the procedure would not solve the problem.

hotbikermama40

My wife is six weeks pregnant, and there's a heartbeat already. We keep people on life support without brain function, but kill potential life. It's sad to hear people be so flippant when it comes to abortion. Personal responsibility could solve a lot of these problems. I would wager a high percentage of abortions come from one night stands, people not in a serious relationship, or because of decisions made while drunk.

Exactly, there's no "one size fits all" solution (is there one for any issue?). But abortion is always a hot topic, and I'm no exception (as is obvious from my earlier posts on this thread) from getting 'hot' under the collar over it. It IS sad, and upsetting to hear flippancy when you have been affected. I lost a child early on in my pregnancy in my mid-20's. This was a child we had tried for more than a year to conceive. I can assure anyone who reads this I'm not bemoaning this loss - I grieved then and came to terms with the loss. But I know there are so many young couples out there who deal with that loss more than a few times and I can't imagine what it must be like for someone who treasures the hope for a new life, and grieves each time it is lost to hear the aforementioned flippancy. That's my moral reasoning. It goes hand in hand with my values rooted in my religion. But if I were not involved with any religion, or believed myself to be without any connection spiritually, I would still believe abortion is - in most situations - not the only option available. I say that with conviction based solely on what I know about the biology of it all. Where there is growth and growing, and the ideal or even perfect environment for that growth to occur, there is something alive. And every life has value, beauty and potential. It is no one person's dogmatic right to decide otherwise. This is being stated 'as fact' but I will reiterate, it is my belief.

black dog

Free America

Flippant??? No not at all, I'm realistic.. who cares how someone gets pregnant, its not anybody's business but that woman.
You can't Legislate morality...

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Exactly, there's no "one size fits all" solution (is there one for any issue?). But abortion is always a hot topic, and I'm no exception (as is obvious from my earlier posts on this thread) from getting 'hot' under the collar over it. It IS sad, and upsetting to hear flippancy when you have been affected. I lost a child early on in my pregnancy in my mid-20's. This was a child we had tried for more than a year to conceive. I can assure anyone who reads this I'm not bemoaning this loss - I grieved then and came to terms with the loss. But I know there are so many young couples out there who deal with that loss more than a few times and I can't imagine what it must be like for someone who treasures the hope for a new life, and grieves each time it is lost to hear the aforementioned flippancy. That's my moral reasoning. It goes hand in hand with my values rooted in my religion. But if I were not involved with any religion, or believed myself to be without any connection spiritually, I would still believe abortion is - in most situations - not the only option available. I say that with conviction based solely on what I know about the biology of it all. Where there is growth and growing, and the ideal or even perfect environment for that growth to occur, there is something alive. And every life has value, beauty and potential. It is no one person's dogmatic right to decide otherwise. This is being stated 'as fact' but I will reiterate, it is my belief.

A personal tragedy should not be projected on, or used to judge, others. It is your belief, of what you would personally do, or not do. That's commendable, and a personal decision. The emotional pain of losing a pregnancy, I'm sure, is debilitating. And to see others make a decision contrary to your wants, must also be equally debilitating because you want what they are ending. It is not flippancy that guides my position. It is the belief of, to each their own. Yes it is sad, to think about the ending of a pregnancy. But, here, I am projecting my experience with being a parent. Of being there and cutting the cord. That every parent should experience that incredible moment. But it does not give me the right to tell someone what they can not do. My feelings and emotions do not matter, and carry no weight. However, if asked, personally, for advice, by those contemplating the ending of a pregnancy, I would advise against it. Because, I believe, children, bring out the best of a man and woman.

hotbikermama40

If I may ...

A personal tragedy should not be projected on, or used to judge, others. It is your belief, of what you would personally do, or not do. That's commendable, and a personal decision. The emotional pain of losing a pregnancy, I'm sure, is debilitating. And to see others make a decision contrary to your wants, must also be equally debilitating because you want what they are ending. It is not flippancy that guides my position. It is the belief of, to each their own. Yes it is sad, to think about the ending of a pregnancy. But, here, I am projecting my experience with being a parent. Of being there and cutting the cord. That every parent should experience that incredible moment. But it does not give me the right to tell someone what they can not do. My feelings and emotions do not matter, and carry no weight. However, if asked, personally, for advice, by those contemplating the ending of a pregnancy, I would advise against it. Because, I believe, children, bring out the best of a man and woman.

Like I said, I'm no exception to getting hot under the collar. But I have NEVER told anyone (outside of exercising my right to vote) that they should or should not do anything, whether it is an abortion, a same-sex marriage, etc. It is for every person a personal decision. I have had friends, and have friends now that are gay, atheist, believe in abortion, do not believe in marriage or having children, are Liberal...and I love them dearly. I care about the topics, so I come here to commiserate with others, argue with others still and in general, just 'beef' about things. But more than anything else politically-related that I believe in, I believe in our freedom to choose. Before I point fingers at any one person for their individual choices, I would list my own.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Like I said, I'm no exception to getting hot under the collar. But I have NEVER told anyone (outside of exercising my right to vote) that they should or should not do anything, whether it is an abortion, a same-sex marriage, etc. It is for every person a personal decision. I have had friends, and have friends now that are gay, atheist, believe in abortion, do not believe in marriage or having children, are Liberal...and I love them dearly. I care about the topics, so I come here to commiserate with others, argue with others still and in general, just 'beef' about things. But more than anything else politically-related that I believe in, I believe in our freedom to choose. Before I point fingers at any one person for their individual choices, I would list my own.

I stand corrected. We've more in common than I thought.

Hijinx

I don't like any abortion,but if a woman decides to abort it should be in the first trimester or certainly not more than a month into the second.

There should be no late term abortions unless the mother is in danger of death or the child is hopelessly having a birth defect.

Now some might not agree I don't really give a damn, their opinion won't change mine.
When the child is viable and into its late stages abortion is murder.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
even the supreme court decided life begins at the moment of conception ...

you want abortion, fine that is your choice, but don't hide your actions behind friendly euphemisms to assuage your guilt
OWN IT
YOU want the right to murder your unborn child because its inconvenient or a girl ..... or whatever reason you can come up with

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I feel that any woman who chooses to abort for no other reason than convenience, would make a ####ty parent anyway. We have enough ####ty parents to go around. Let them abort. I would wager to guess that we would see a drop in the prison population over time.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I feel that any woman who chooses to abort for no other reason than convenience, would make a ####ty parent anyway. We have enough ####ty parents to go around. Let them abort. I would wager to guess that we would see a drop in the prison population over time.

I can't get past knowing there is a human being butchered as a result.

SamSpade

If I may ...

I have never understood this anti-abortion thing. Why do people care so much about something that has no direct bearing upon themselves?.

Interesting. On this same board under this topic, we have a thread about a man killing another man while he was in the process of drowning his infant twins.
Some even consider him a hero.

At issue is not "choice" or interfering with other's "rights" - it's at what point do we confer the same rights on the fetus as we do to those babies who are mere nine months older?
IF you believe that it is committing murder then, like the man who shot the lunatic drowning his babies - you're doing the right thing.
If you don't, THEN you are interfering with someone essentially picking a scab. That has always been at the root of the argument from the anti-abortion side - if it's murder, it must be stopped.

What I find exasperating is, THIS vital part of the issue is neatly sidestepped into any other set of issues but the one I DON'T get is - "choice".
In my opinion, the father drowning his babies does NOT have a choice to kill them, although if you turned the clock back a few hundred years, he would be within his legal rights.
If anyone's 'choice' is being thwarted, it's that of the child.

Now getting into the weeds - IF the discussion is, at what POINT does the fetus acquire "personhood" - I think we can agree that two seconds before birth, it's clearly a human being.
My own son was born six weeks early - and he was a human being then as well.

On the other hand - two seconds AFTER conception, it's hard for me to regard a mass of cells as "human" - in which case I have less argument about it.

So if there's some inflection point BETWEEN - that's the gist of the argument.
However the sides seem to be fixed on two extremes - the anti-abortion crowd want to set rights at conception, and the pro-abortion (sorry - that's what it is) crowd want it set at birth and in some cases, LATER than that.

SamSpade

Perhaps - but - with the exception of children with severe special needs - and sadly, children of some minorities - there's a HUGE demand for children for childless couples in this country, and demand far exceeds supply.
Couple that with people waiting longer for raising families, and that is a demand that is very likely to increase in the future.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
On the other hand - two seconds AFTER conception, it's hard for me to regard a mass of cells as "human" - in which case I have less argument about it.

after a couple of weeks there is a heart beat, that mass of cells has its own unique dna .....

SamSpade

after a couple of weeks there is a heart beat, that mass of cells has its own unique dna .....

I get this - and it seems to me that there's got to be some give on the concept somewhere.

You're familiar with the Laffer curve right? It's a simple idea - at one end of the curve - 0% taxation - and you get no revenue.
At the other end - maximum taxation (not necessarily 100% but the point at which people will REFUSE to work if you take away enough of their money )- and you get no money either.

The OPTIMAL point then, is the inflection point - the point where revenue stops going up and starts going back down again.
You could invoke Rolle's Theorem - it has to happen.

Same said here - if it's not "life" at conception - but we agree it IS life even a day or two before birth - then it happens SOMETIME in between.
It has to. That's really plain logic.

NEITHER side wants to budge on this. I *cannot* agree it happens at *birth*, because birth is a somewhat arbitrary event - I myself was born two weeks early.
Was I not human for those two weeks, because my scheduled departure date was later? It's clearly before but if this point is conceded then abortion supporters would have
negotiate on the matter, and they don't want that at all - there have been cases argued that a child doesn't have a right to life until it LEAVES THE HOSPITAL.