Thanksgiving Dinner

PJay

Kosher salt, maple syrup, garlic, the usual suspects of spices..brined for 24 hours, just took is out, patted it dry and now in fridge uncovered (helps the skin become crispy when smoking), prepping some of the stuffing as we speak and will stuff and inject it and rub it at o'dark thirty in the morn, then a low and slow cook on the pellet smoker. Hoping this turns out as expected, otherwise this may be my last post.
No finger this time :nono:

CRHS89

We raised beef on our farm...always had a small herd. Sold/processed some as veal too. All our calves were Holstein-Angus cross from the dairy herd.

It's "our turn" to host TG this year for the extended family. I don't know all the sides or deserts we're having yet; I'm only responsible for the meat menu:
smoked turkey
thin-sliced country ham (starting that to soaking today)
baked fresh ham
spicy stuffed ham
mild stuffed ham
oysters (grilled, Rockefeller and fried)
I think you should consider adding some sort of ham to the menu...

TPD

the poor dad
Apple pie just came out of the oven - I think I have to taste it this evening before serving tomorrow. Chocolate pie was done earlier.

9E22C808-4365-42F2-A7A6-B91F059277FB.jpeg

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
What do you use for your brine?
Chicken brine

1/2g water
2c kosher salt
4c brown sugar
5 bay leaves
1 tbsp peppercorns
16 lbs ice

Put ice in cooler, boil everything else to dissolve and add to ice.
This makes 2 1/2 gallons of brine which is enough for 2 large birds or a medium sized turkey.

Ok, another that uses dark sugar. What does the sugar do for the bird? Just a flavor enhancer?
I just watched an episode of Pitmasters smoker competition where they had to do whole turkeys. All three judges and all three competitors mentioned using heavy sweetener (honey or brown sugar or etc.) as the main ingredients needed to compliment the turkey.