Thanksgiving Dinner

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Next year I think I’ll make a dinner of toast, jelly beans, popcorn and pretzel sticks.
Hey, it worked for the Peanuts gang.
images.jpg

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Ok, another that uses dark sugar. What does the sugar do for the bird? Just a flavor enhancer?
Enhances the flavor and forms a pellicle on the surface of the skin. The pellicle is a high protein layer that attracts and holds the smoke flavors.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
-burp-

Good stuff... Everything came out perfect. Although I forgot to put out the cranberries. Still have homemade cannoli for desert later.
Final menu: homemade popovers, stuffing (in the pan, would have preferred in the bird), mashed taters (russets cooked on the grill, underneath the bird, so they got flavored with smoked turkey) and ratatouille. Chardonnay.

20221124_141817.jpg 20221124_141650.jpg

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Wow!..I've forgotten all about those. Mom made them when we were kids... She's 90 soon..and shes' here for the holiday. I'll ask her for the recipe.
There was a restaurant I went to in Stoney Brook on LI back in the 80s, a converted train dining car, appropriately name Dining Car 1812. They served fresh popovers like other restaurants serve bread sticks. I loved that place.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Finally had a proper sit down visit with my grandson. He's just shy of 4 months now. I took him into another room and we "talked" for a good 15-20 minutes so his momma could get something to eat.

This was the first turkey that she's ever roasted and it turned out perfectly browned and moist. We had plenty of canned gravy as backup, but that girl can even make good gravy.

Blister

My wife and I both agreed that the fresh turkey we got from the Mennonite farm was the best bird I ever cooked. Not sure if it was the fresh never frozen bird or a combination of using the new convection roast oven, but the skin was crisp, the meat very moist without brining. The convection oven cut the cook time by at least 30%. The only downside was it was HUGE. 22lbs. is much more than needed for the two of us. It was a little pricy, but with lots of meat and the carcass already frozen, and plenty of leftovers for now, the price per meal isn't bad.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My wife and I both agreed that the fresh turkey we got from the Mennonite farm was the best bird I ever cooked. Not sure if it was the fresh never frozen bird or a combination of using the new convection roast oven, but the skin was crisp, the meat very moist without brining. The convection oven cut the cook time by at least 30%. The only downside was it was HUGE. 22lbs. is much more than needed for the two of us. It was a little pricy, but with lots of meat and the carcass already frozen, and plenty of leftovers for now, the price per meal isn't bad.
Ours is huge too..24 pounds. Wouldn't fit on my Cabelas vertical stack smoker...that's a first because that's my go-to smoker for turkeys since...forever.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Leftover turkey sammich for lunch. Yum!

BUT.... opened a new jar of mayo, spread it on the rye toast, it didn't look right. Took a taste..

:barf: It had gone bad. Glad I didn't put the turkey on it.