The conspiracy theorist mind

glhs837

Power with Control
I love a good conspiracy theory and I fully believe there's more to pretty much every story than what "they" tell us. But at some point it has to be plausible. If it sounds like silly BS to me - someone who wants to believe - then it's likely BS.

Would it really surprise anyone if there was a cure for AIDS and cancer and whatever else, but Big Pharma was paying our government and media to keep it quiet?

Really?

After we just went through the biggest hoax in American history, courtesy of Big Pharma?

Oh, might be covered up cures, but no way in hell did a guy in prison develop one. Not that he developed one and they sent him to prison. The story was they he developed it IN prison.

PeoplesElbow

Here is another one. I don't know why but these people fascinate me for some reason.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230511-204526~2.png
    Screenshot_20230511-204526~2.png
    887.6 KB · Views: 129

PeoplesElbow

Oh, might be covered up cures, but no way in hell did a guy in prison develop one. Not that he developed one and they sent him to prison. The story was they he developed it IN prison.
He made it in the toilet, right after a batch of fine wine.

SamSpade

If you have even been on the ocean in a ship you can see the curvature with your own eyes.
They could watch a ship sail to the horizon - and slowly sink below it.
Which is how ANCIENTS were not only able to realize the Earth was round - they could MEASURE it.

And their measurements were accurate.

glhs837

Power with Control
Sometimes conspiracies are just for fun.
Two of my favorites were the Amtrak train repair depot being turned into a concentration camp. Complete with ovens to cook the victims. Which of course were to powdercoat huge train parts. That and the list of FEMA camps that was basically just every old cold war base shut down during BRAC. Funny how it doesn't matter who's in office....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Reminder:

People guffaw and deride the conspiracy theorists as crazy....until it turns out he was right and the conspiracy was true.

SamSpade

Most conspiracy theories that I know about have something in common - LACK of evidence.

They go like this "how come there isn't any ---blah blah blah" and "Don't you think it's strange that it didn't affect ---etc".

It's conjecture, observation but no ACTUAL data.

Again, doesn't mean it's wrong - just, that it thrives on NO actual data.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
??
Maybe the 80's.

By the 90's, it was pretty well known and by the mid 90's they already had treatments that made it survivable.

I think people were still ignorant about AIDS in the 90s because the leftwing media kept insisting that anyone can get it. Just walking down the street and BOOM! AIDS jumps in ya. They cherrypicked people like Ryan White (?) who were an extreme AIDS longshot and tried to portray him as the norm. YOUR CHILD COULD GET AIDS TOO!

SamSpade

I think people were still ignorant about AIDS in the 90s because the leftwing media kept insisting that anyone can get it. Just walking down the street and BOOM! AIDS jumps in ya. They cherrypicked people like Ryan White (?) who were an extreme AIDS longshot and tried to portray him as the norm. YOUR CHILD COULD GET AIDS TOO!
Well then it was WILLFUL ignorance - we all starting hearing about it around '82 or '83. I was at the Harvard School of Public Health in '85, and they did a lot of AIDS research there. My mom had just become a nurse at Hopkins, and even before isolating the virus, they knew that it had to be transmitted without exposure to air, so - sex, blood transfusions, shared needles, umbilical from mother to child.

I didn't "get" that from the left-wing media. I recall learning that unless you engage in those things - you almost certainly weren't going to get it, and the likelihood of a man getting it from a woman through sex was ALSO pretty small, because there isn't typically any movement of fluid to the man (unless he has an open wound). That's why we all thought Magic Johnson was full of crap.

We'd all play drinking games and joke that we were passing AIDS to one another, knowing full well that it was impossible. One of them, I remember, was around '91.

I guess, to me and the people I knew, transmission wasn't a mystery.

PeoplesElbow

Was going to say in 7th grade in 1987 we knew that stuff also, we had a discussion in science class about it.

To be fair hemophiliacs get a lot of transfusions and blood was not tested for it then and were the third largest group of AIDS patients behind drug users and gay men.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Was going to say in 7th grade in 1987 we knew that stuff also, we had a discussion in science class about it.

To be fair hemophiliacs get a lot of transfusions and blood was not tested for it then and were the third largest group of AIDS patients behind drug users and gay men.
A friend of mine from high school died of AIDS due to a dirty blood transfusion. He was a hemophiliac and NOT gay.

PeoplesElbow

I will also say gay was not mentioned at my school other than "fag" being the default insult hurled at a boy.

Was in shock when I went to college and the gay and lesbian club was front and center in the info pack they sent me when I was accepted, freaked my dad out.