The NCAA is friggin crazy

Pete

Repete
Have you ever in your life looked into FCS recruiting? If not, stop talkin out of your ass because it's pretty obvious that's what you're doing. They schedule these games a few years in advance and use them as talking points for the recruits. EVERY FCS school tries to get these games.

Actually no I haven't. I don't give a rats ass about FCS recruiting but for this argument I don't have to. There is not good reason for these 2 teams to play other than some money. All the other arguments are bullchit rationalisations to get a big check. CS turned their football program into a whore who is willing to show up and let Florida have there way with them for money. There is no friggin "sport" in this.

Have you ever played football? It is not badminton where you run around for a while and after the game you are a little tired and you tried but lost. You get crushed, beaten, stomped on, spit on, gouged, twisted, kicked, have your neck stretched and decleated. The different levels of skill are instantly noticeable and totally relevant.

I see no point in it at all.

Last edited:

Pete

Repete
No, they are not going to get a Tebo to skip Florida for them. They may, however, get a Gude or a Pete to go there instead of Tech-Poly State instead of a Nonno or a FF. So, they win their league. :yahoo:

I dunno, I think there are better ways to do that then to whore out your program for a check.

Pete

Repete
Oh damn, I didn't even notice...he thought I meant luring players away from FBS schools? :killingme I just meant so they could win their conference or maybe the FCS championship!! Playing top teams isn't going to get a guy to switch from Texas to Charleston Southern :killingme

No stupid, I knew what you meant.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I dunno, I think there are better ways to do that then to whore out your program for a check.

Ok, what is you real problem with this? You understand the money part and the attraction to a marginal kid to get to play against a major team. But, they are whores for doing it?

What would be a better way to get more money and get to play against a major once in awhile?

I mean, if you just don't like them getting more money and playing against a major team, OK, that's fine. However, it seems like a given to me to go play a major and get a bunch of dough for the program.

There are PLENTY of schools a kid can play for that don't have any money which means less quality everything and don't play titans.

:shrug:

Beta84

They're out to get us
Actually no I haven't. I don't give a rats ass about FCS recruiting but for this argument I don't have to. There is not good reason for these 2 teams to play other than some money. All the other arguments are bullchit rationalisations to get a big check. CS turned their football program into a whore who is willing to show up and let Florida have there way with them for money. There is no friggin "sport" in this.

Have you ever played football? It is not badminton where you run around for a while and after the game you are a little tired and you tried but lost. You get crushed, beaten, stomped on, spit on, gouged, twisted, kicked, have your neck stretched and decleated. The different levels of skill are instantly noticeable and totally relevant.

I see no point in it at all.

You don't get it. There is no argument! This is how things work at the FCS level. The school gets a paycheck to fund their program, or maybe even improve some stuff (which would be another recruiting perk). They tell the kids they get to play against certain teams and "hey, wouldn't it be fun to play them!". It's absolutely a recruiting tactic that gets the players excited and draws players to a program. I don't really care if you sit there with your blind "logic" arguments that are clearly one-sided. You aren't in the minds of those 17-18 year old kids who are being recruited, are you? I'm not either, I'm just stating facts. It has been said time and time again that it is a recruiting tactic that the kids buy into. There's no argument, stupid!

I agree from a logical perspective -- who the hell wants to be beaten to hell? I wouldn't either. But I'm not the person being recruited and nor are you.

Oh and without these games, some of the schools would probably lose a bunch of their athletic department funds and not be able to participate in the sports at all. So they might be "whores" but it's their only way of paying the bills since fundraising is virtually non-existent at those levels. Do you have a better suggestion?

No stupid, I knew what you meant.

Then you may want to word it better, stupid! You were saying CSU won't get good players anyway. It's not about that at all. It's just giving schools on a similar level a "one up" that gets them to pick one school over the other. They are still competing for conference and national championships on that level, just like FBS schools. There is still recruiting and it's still fierce.

Last edited:

Beta84

They're out to get us
Ok, what is you real problem with this? You understand the money part and the attraction to a marginal kid to get to play against a major team. But, they are whores for doing it?

What would be a better way to get more money and get to play against a major once in awhile?

I mean, if you just don't like them getting more money and playing against a major team, OK, that's fine. However, it seems like a given to me to go play a major and get a bunch of dough for the program.

There are PLENTY of schools a kid can play for that don't have any money which means less quality everything and don't play titans.

Exactly. Pete doesn't have a "better" option for getting money. He's just talkin out of his ass saying there are better ways to do it. Gotta love that idea. Well...making a few hundred thousand sounds like a great idea, but we'd be "whoring" ourselves out. So lets not do that and instead, we won't be able to play volleyball or basketball this year, and may not be able to afford new pads for the football team. Oh well, at least we aren't whores!!!!!

Morning Reading: Florida 73-Point Favorite Over Charleston Southern | The Bull Gator
Oh and just in case you’re wondering what Charleston Southern is doing with their payout: “With the $450,000, Charleston Southern plans to add a field house at CSU Stadium. It will include an academic resource center for athletes and enough locker room space so its teams no longer must share lockers.”

Sounds horrible.

Pete

Repete

I am not exactly sure. I think it is the bastardization of the sport. Doesn't the Administration, the AD and the coaching staff have a real obligation to build a team and compete to the best of their ability to develop young people? I mean if CS was in Florida's division/conference and had to play them and they just sucked that is one thing.

I think I am unhappy with an organization (NCAA) allowing an atmosphere where this type of gross mismatch is actually sought out and desired just for a big payday.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I agree from a logical perspective -- who the hell wants to be beaten to hell? I wouldn't either. But I'm not the person being recruited and nor are you.

No one is going to be beaten to hell. Charleston Southern is going to field a team full of kids who can bench over 300 pounds, run pretty fast, block, tackle, throw, catch and so forth. It's not like a bunch of 18 year old math geeks decided to play ball for the first time in their lives.

Hell, many of the kids Charleston will field probably won or at least competed for state championships in high school and I'll guarantee you that they have plenty of kids who are technically better football players than some of the kids on Florida. Not better athletes, just technically more sound.

However, Florida's kids are a little stronger, a little faster and simply better athletes. The guy didn't quite make the Olympic decathlon team is still one hell of an athlete though he won't win one event.

It could well be 73-0 but it's not like every kid for Charleston is going to the hospital or morgue.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Southern Charleston plays David to Florida's Goliath -- latimes.com

The Gators often get calls from schools wanting to play in the Swamp, but Charleston Southern didn't even have to try out. The school's combination of proximity, scheduling flexibility and affordability prompted Florida to call them.

Charleston Southern knew it wanted the recruiting visibility of the talent-rich state of Florida, which comprises almost half the Buccaneers' roster. Thirty-nine current Charleston Southern players are from this state.

Charleston Southern's exposure this weekend might lure a recruit or two to visit the school's 20,000-square-foot, $4-million multipurpose facility for which the Gators are helping pay. The soon-to-be-finished facility houses football offices, a weight room, an academic center and locker rooms for football and track.

Florida is providing excitement and resources for smaller, in some cases financially challenged, athletic departments in this economy

"Someone from Western Carolina [in 2006] came up to me and said, 'You don't realize how big of a deal this is for our players,' " said Greg McGarrity, Florida's associate athletics director. "This is maybe their only chance to play in a stadium that seats 90,000 while getting the national exposure. Some people view it as a payday, but it's totally different for these kids. . . . We try to make their visit as good as it can be, as well as for the fans."

:whistle:

Last edited:

Beta84

They're out to get us
No one is going to be beaten to hell. Charleston Southern is going to field a team full of kids who can bench over 300 pounds, run pretty fast, block, tackle, throw, catch and so forth. It's not like a bunch of 18 year old math geeks decided to play ball for the first time in their lives.

Hell, many of the kids Charleston will field probably won or at least competed for state championships in high school and I'll guarantee you that they have plenty of kids who are technically better football players than some of the kids on Florida. Not better athletes, just technically more sound.

However, Florida's kids are a little stronger, a little faster and simply better athletes. The guy didn't quite make the Olympic decathlon team is still one hell of an athlete though he won't win one event.

It could well be 73-0 but it's not like every kid for Charleston is going to the hospital or morgue.

Very true. I agree. It'll be a tough game for them and they'll be beaten to hell in a 73-0 sense...but physically, it won't be much worse than any other game, if at all. They come off the field smiling. I've seen plenty of games. The FCS players are always eager to play good teams and try to find the positives from the game...even if it's just beating someone in coverage, breaking a tackle, or making a tackle/sack. It's a memory that'll last a lifetime.

thurley42

HY;FR
that was a great punch btw....good form, across the jaw, nice....i hope he enjoyed it, because that dude is doneski!

Pete

Repete
I agree from a logical perspective -- who the hell wants to be beaten to hell? I wouldn't either.
I am glad you see the light. It took you long enough.

Sure, since this is no big deal and all just about money lets just redraw all the conferences. Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Charleston Southern, Savanah State, and Billy Bob's College of Outboard Motor repair are all now the SEC. Now they all get the big checks every week and they can build whatever facilities they want.

Beta84

They're out to get us
you're clearly not a college football fan and don't really know what you're talking about. I only agreed in a point differential "beating to hell" argument. But hey, there has been an occasional FCS team defeating an FBS team, albeit typically lower tiered FBS teams.

Unfortunately I can't find an article, but here's a link to what the CSU coach supposedly said...

How pathetic for UF to play Charleston Southern.. - CBSSports.com Message Boards

Head Coach Jay Mills, of Charleston Southern, was quoted as saying:

"We're forever indebted to the University of Florida. Were starting to make the push to schedule the guarantee games a few years ago and Florida was the first team that signed on. Everything that has followed is because of the signing of the contract with Florida. It was the starting point of being able to reach out and get those guarantee games. It had to start somewhere. I really believe it has helped our program incredibly."

Charleston Southern, which has only been fielding a team for 20 seasons, has played games at Miami and Hawaii and has future games at Kentucky and South Florida. The guarantees (Florida's is a $450,000 payout) will help build a new building on campus that will house several sports. And because the Buccaneers can bus to Gainesville, they'll use most of that money on the building fund.

"It's going to allow every sport to have its own locker room," Mills said. "We have sports sharing now. So it is not just going to benefit the football program."

Mills said he sees other benefits to this game, even though one oddsmaker made UF a 73 pt favorite.

"We waste time focusing on things like that. There are tremendous benefits to this game for us. We're excited about this game. It's good for our kids to come back there and it's a big recruiting state for us. It's an opportunity to measure up against the finest team in the country. In college football, the little guy gets to compete with the big guy. I tell our guys you don't want to have any regrets in life. For Charleston Southern, there will be no regrets after the game."

Mills believes the faith-based University will also benefit from the exposure of playing college football's #1 team. No matter what the score, Charleston Southern will be a part of Sportscenter and other highlight shows Saturday night.

"It's a National stage and it gives us the national recognition our university hopes to have."

Great punch? If I'm looking the other way, my cat could knock me out.

I think he meant a great punch on Pete since his "arguments" were shown to be incorrect...since like I said, it's how things work (however illogical that might be to a middle aged adult), it's not an argument.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Very true. I agree. It'll be a tough game for them and they'll be beaten to hell in a 73-0 sense...but physically, it won't be much worse than any other game, if at all. They come off the field smiling. I've seen plenty of games. The FCS players are always eager to play good teams and try to find the positives from the game...even if it's just beating someone in coverage, breaking a tackle, or making a tackle/sack. It's a memory that'll last a lifetime.

And they'll be watching film on Monday going crazy how their #56 just leveled some super star Gator on this play and how their #32 broke the tackle of the Florida All American and so forth.

This is only lambs to the slaughter on the scoreboard.

Beta84

They're out to get us
And they'll be watching film on Monday going crazy how their #56 just leveled some super star Gator on this play and how their #32 broke the tackle of the Florida All American and so forth.

This is only lambs to the slaughter on the scoreboard.

On Monday? Well sure, but #56 is gonna be showing that play to his grandkids. So will #32 and all the rest of em.

Pete

Repete
the university of Florida bought a sure win and CSU got a free field house. Everyone wins.