The NCAA is friggin crazy

BuddyLee

Football addict
I am a Utah man, sir and I live across the green.
Our gang it is the jolliest that you have ever seen.
Our coeds are the fairest and each one's a shining star.
Our yell, you hear it ringing through the mountains near and far.

Chorus:
Who am I, sir, a Utah man am I:
A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die: Ki! Ki!
We're up to snuff: we never bluff.
We're game for any fuss.
No other gang of college men dare meet us in the muss.
So fill your lungs and sing it out shout it to the sky.
We'll fight for dear old crimson for.....

Chorus:

And when we prom the avenue, all lined up in a row.
And arm in arm and step in time as down the street we go.
No matter if a freshman green, or in a senior's gown,
The people all admit we are the warmest gang in town.

Chorus:

We may not live forever on this jolly good old sphere,
But while we do we'll live a life of merriment and cheer.
And when our college days are o'er and night is drawing nigh,
With parting breath we'll sing that song:

A Utah Man am I!

:shudder:

Beta84

They're out to get us
What if USC, Penn St, Texas, Utah, Florida and Charleston Penmanship Academy are all undefeated? What then, huh?

:lol:
Utah clearly gets the nod over everyone because they are the only true team deserving of being national champions. It doesn't matter that USC, Penn State, Texas, and Florida all beat 5-6 teams as good or better than Utah's best wins, they still lost a game. The schedule doesn't matter...put easier teams on your schedule and that way you won't lose! :crazy:

You can mack your yap yap all you want for Florida to schedule Charleston Southern, be it yesterday or 5 friggin years ago is a stooge move to buy a cheap win under the guise of "helping them out". Charleston Southern for piss sakes! Before the schedule came out who even heard of them? Why not go all the way Fonzie and schedule Miss Alma Ursery's School of Stenography because there are no degrees when you jump the shark.

Florida and 89 other FBS teams scheduled an FCS team. Oh the horror! :jameo: You may whine about it, but Charleston Southern (and those 89 FCS teams) are thanking the FBS for being able to afford some stuff this season that they wouldn't be able to due to the economic downturn.

And here is just the week 1 games of FBS vs FCS... Scout.com: Cavalcade of Whimsy Part 2 - Did USC Reload?

Sorry this column sucked, it wasn’t my fault … I don’t get four preseason tune-up games like the pros do, so I apologize for using week one like a light scrimmage, just like Iowa State is doing with North Dakota State, Temple is doing with Villanova, Kent State is doing with Coastal Carolina, Indiana is doing with Eastern Kentucky, Oregon State is doing with Portland State, Hawaii is doing with Central Arkansas, Michigan State is doing with Montana State, Northwestern is doing with Towson, West Virginia is doing with Liberty, Iowa is doing with Northern Iowa, Georgia Tech is doing with Jacksonville State, Pitt is doing with Youngstown State, Boston College is doing with Northeastern, Air Force is doing with Nicholls State, Wyoming is doing with Weber State, Mississippi State is doing with Jackson State, Marshall is doing with Illinois State, Houston is doing with Northwestern State, North Carolina is doing with Citadel, Virginia is doing with William & Mary, UCF is doing with Samford, Arkansas is doing with Missouri State, Florida is doing with Charleston Southern, South Florida is doing with Wofford, Duke is doing with Richmond, Louisiana-Lafayette is doing with Southern, Kansas is doing with Northern Colorado, Southern Miss is doing with Alcorn State, Texas Tech is doing with North Dakota, Arkansas State is doing with Mississippi Valley State, Kansas State is doing with Massachusetts, Louisville is doing with Indiana State, Vanderbilt is doing with Western Carolina, SMU is doing with Stephen F. Austin, Arizona State is doing with Idaho State, Fresno State is doing with UC Davis, and UNLV is doing with Sacramento State. Try to enjoy your week one anyway.

Did you know that Charleston Southern has 3,200 students enrolled? University of GA's powder puff game is Tennessee Tech which had 10,600?

And now you know the rest of the story.

So what? They are NCAA institutes with scholarships. Enrollment doesn't matter much. There are some FBS schools with smaller enrollments than Tennessee Tech, but one is FBS and the other is FCS. If a school with 10k students wins the national championship, does that mean they were a monster underdog to schools with 50k students? No! In fact, the school with 3k students probably NEEDS the money more than a school with 10.6k students due to a lack of alumni and boosters. But as far as fielding a competitive team goes, the size of the school doesn't matter nearly as much as a bunch of other factors (conference being a main one).

Seriously, do you follow college football or are you just blabbing because you have something to cry about? This is starting to get silly.

Pete

Repete
Utah clearly gets the nod over everyone because they are the only true team deserving of being national champions. It doesn't matter that USC, Penn State, Texas, and Florida all beat 5-6 teams as good or better than Utah's best wins, they still lost a game. The schedule doesn't matter...put easier teams on your schedule and that way you won't lose! :crazy:

Florida and 89 other FBS teams scheduled an FCS team. Oh the horror! :jameo: You may whine about it, but Charleston Southern (and those 89 FCS teams) are thanking the FBS for being able to afford some stuff this season that they wouldn't be able to due to the economic downturn.

And here is just the week 1 games of FBS vs FCS... Scout.com: Cavalcade of Whimsy Part 2 - Did USC Reload?

So what? They are NCAA institutes with scholarships. Enrollment doesn't matter much. There are some FBS schools with smaller enrollments than Tennessee Tech, but one is FBS and the other is FCS. If a school with 10k students wins the national championship, does that mean they were a monster underdog to schools with 50k students? No! In fact, the school with 3k students probably NEEDS the money more than a school with 10.6k students due to a lack of alumni and boosters. But as far as fielding a competitive team goes, the size of the school doesn't matter nearly as much as a bunch of other factors (conference being a main one).

Seriously, do you follow college football or are you just blabbing because you have something to cry about? This is starting to get silly.
I wonder why Charleston Southern didn't just say screw it and join the SEC? Oh and to answer your question no I don't follow college football much because of this exact reason. Because they do completely retarded crap like having Florida 52,000 students, 9 coaches, recruiters, and an entire army of assistants, play Charleston Southern U with their 3,200 students. Then a bunch of sports writers and a computer program sit around a vote and argue who is better than who based on opinions of schedule strength and if they slaughtered the FCS puff team by enough points.

Last edited:

thurley42

HY;FR
I wonder why Charleston Southern didn't just say screw it and join the SEC? Oh and to answer your question no I don't follow college football much because of this exact reason. Because they do completely retarded crap like having Florida 52,000 students, 9 coaches, recruiters, and an entire army of assistants, play Charleston Southern U with their 3,200 students. Then a bunch of sports writers and a computer program sit around a vote and argue who is better than who based on opinions of schedule strength and if they slaughtered the FCS puff team by enough points.

man that sounds alot like this place...one would think you would be into that:killingme

Pete

Repete
“ Sportsmanship is everyone’s responsibility, including student-athletes, coaches, officials, institutions and fans,” NCAA spokesman Erik Christianson said in a statement.

:lmao:

Beta84

They're out to get us
man that sounds alot like this place...one would think you would be into that:killingme

:killingme

reminds me of a ton of stuff that I see argued around here all the time.

I agree that college football can be frustrating. there are no preseason games, so teams need SOMETHING to break their players in. If the NFL needs 4 friggin games, then why can't college football have one too? That's just hypocritical to say that professional athletes need 4 games (or even 1) and college teams can't get any. So this is like a preseason for these teams. It's maybe 1-2 games in a season, it's not that much!

As for the computers and voters and all that crap...as nice as a playoff system is, there are far more teams than the NFL and far less time available. They are STUDENT athletes, which is the biggest problem for creating a playoff. The season starts when school starts. December is time off because that's when finals are. They typically end up playing bowl games and practicing during their winter break. Some football players graduate over the winter and don't stick around for the next semester, or need to begin preparing for the combine. You can't extend the season by a few weeks to conduct a playoff. So there's really no good time to do it. That being the case, what else is available?

It's all about the excitement, the games, the traditions, emotion, and a ton of stuff that pro football can't dream to replicate. Upsets are that more important and exciting when they occur, since they aren't as expected. There is plenty of parody.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Dear Villanova, Richmond, William & Mary, Northern Iowa, Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas, Appalachian State, Liberty, Weber State, Southern Illinois, Massachusetts, Samford, Stephen F. Austin, and other FCS schools,

Thank you for the hard fought games this past weekend. The 3 victories, numerous close defeats, and other games that were closer than the experts predicted. You did the FCS proud this past weekend! You deserve a round of applause. Pete owes you guys drinks for doubting your abilities. :buddies:

Beta84

They're out to get us
They covered!

CS won! :lol:

Florida has won by more than 60 against FBS opponents before. :lol:

Sure there were blowouts...but there were a bunch of games decided by 10 points or less, more decided by 20 or less, more that were very close through the 1st half before the FBS team's depth started to show, etc etc. It was a good week for the FCS if you ask me. 3 wins, 2 of them coming against the ACC! Holy crap!

Pete

Repete
Florida has won by more than 60 against FBS opponents before. :lol:

Sure there were blowouts...but there were a bunch of games decided by 10 points or less, more decided by 20 or less, more that were very close through the 1st half before the FBS team's depth started to show, etc etc. It was a good week for the FCS if you ask me. 3 wins, 2 of them coming against the ACC! Holy crap!

First off my point was Florida V. Charleston Southern, NOT the entire FBS v FCS or whatever retarded division names they are using.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Imagine there's no conferences
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

OoberBoober

Awwwwooooooooo
Tomorrow is Clemson vt GT. Gonna be a real nail biter. I figured after listening to Clemson vs Middle Tennessee that we would be dominated. However after looking at GTs results from their opener we seem to be pretty equally matched. Plus its on, tomorrow prime time on espn... God i hope we don't suck ass.

Beta84

They're out to get us
First off my point was Florida V. Charleston Southern, NOT the entire FBS v FCS or whatever retarded division names they are using.

How dare Florida schedule an FCS team like everyone else! It's especially horrible of them to schedule that game a few years ago when nobody knew how good either team would be. I guess some teams are allowed to schedule lesser teams to get free wins, but the top teams should know they will be top teams and should only schedule top OOC games! :crazy:

Charleston Southern was happy to play the game. All the players were happy to be in the Swamp, the coaches were happy for the opportunity, the recruiting will help, and they got money out of the deal to help their program. It's only outsiders like you that are trying to "defend the weak" that have a problem with it. Are you a closet Democrat or something?

Pete

Repete
How dare Florida schedule an FCS team like everyone else! It's especially horrible of them to schedule that game a few years ago when nobody knew how good either team would be. I guess some teams are allowed to schedule lesser teams to get free wins, but the top teams should know they will be top teams and should only schedule top OOC games! :crazy:

Charleston Southern was happy to play the game. All the players were happy to be in the Swamp, the coaches were happy for the opportunity, the recruiting will help, and they got money out of the deal to help their program. It's only outsiders like you that are trying to "defend the weak" that have a problem with it. Are you a closet Democrat or something?

I take it you went to Florida. What's the matter couldn't get into Georgia Tech?

Beta84

They're out to get us
I take it you went to Florida. What's the matter couldn't get into Georgia Tech?

Chose Florida over Georgia Tech, actually. :yay:

Tech is in a craphole area. GTech is 35th right now, Florida is 47th. I was a Florida resident and went for free because the state (not the school) has great schollies applicable to any in-state school...GTech I could have received scholarships but still would have paid a crapload of money for a similar education. :wink:

I was thinking about Cal Tech, MIT, or Carnegie Mellon, but opted for the full college experience. Looking back, I know I made the right choice. :biggrin: