The NCAA is friggin crazy

Mama_Mia08

I'm not going to argue against that. However, as long as the NCAA decides D1football by votes instead of on the field, a big time program is not going to play 11-12 top flight opponents.

Unless your name is Notre Dame.

This thread may be about Florida Vs. Charleston but Utah getting shafted last year was the first thing I thought of when reading the title of this thread. I am not a Utah fan but even I thought they should have played for the National Championship. The whole ranking system is ridiculous. The NFL is money driven as well and they have a play off system...

Let's Go P-S-U

Otter

Nothing to see here
This thread may be about Florida Vs. Charleston but Utah getting shafted last year was the first thing I thought of when reading the title of this thread. I am not a Utah fan but even I thought they should have played for the National Championship. The whole ranking system is ridiculous. The NFL is money driven as well and they have a play off system...

Let's Go P-S-U

Welcome to OtterWorld!! :yahoo:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Let's Go P-S-U

How can Utah have been shafted? You are arguing that they played well enough to then be voted on as the winner. That simply means someone else would have been shafted instead of them.

NCAA DI football is the same as ice skating; it is not decided on the field; The French judge decides. :lol:

Pete

Repete
dude...your not answering my question...

It's not like i'm sticking up for Florida....I hate them..I'm just saying, show me 1 D-1 FBS powerhouse that doesn't play at least 1 cupcake....
Cupcake is arguable but after a 10 minute look at these schools schedules reveals they have not stooped to the depths of playing woefully lower opponents like South Eastern Rhode Island Institute of the Cullinary arts. Depending how you class Toledo, Central Michigan and Florida Atlantic you could add Clemson, Ohio state, Michigan, Michigan state, Illinois and Minnesota to those below.

Georgia
Utah
Pen state
Notre Dame
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

BuddyLee

Football addict
Charleston Southern @ Florida (1) ? Why? the line is -73

Why, besides money, would the Athletic Director for Charleston agree to go to Florida and march his kids out for a potential Guinness Book of World Records loss?

Get you school name out there? I would rather be unknown than be "the team who got beat by Florida 122-3?

Is Charleston Southern even a real university? Are they a TV/VCR repair vo tech school? The Fighting Technicians?

Come on! :burning:
Which is why I don't enjoy college ball compared to the pro's. Most weeks are blowouts of which you can catch the 1 minute highlights on Sportscenter. There are some great games that I'll watch though. I can usually stay entertained by any two pro-football teams just because it's any man's game.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Oregon / Boise State is apples and oranges compared to this. If Oregon was not ready that is their fault, Boise State certainly was.
Boise State was ready to a certain degree. They were also the home team. In a few weeks, Boise State will play much better than what they did this week. They were also VERY sloppy. Oregon was even sloppier, but their offense is more sophisticated and takes more time to get installed.

Kinda sad the defending national champ buying a win against what is basically a glorified high school team.
The Gators scheduled this game 5 years ago. They went 7-5 or 8-5 when they scheduled the game. Either way, most FBS schools schedule FCS games. That's how it goes.

You are right. they can use the Charleston Southern game to tune up for the power house team they have next........Troy.
Troy won the Sun Belt last season, which is an FBS conference. What the heck do you want? Should they be playing BCS teams every single week? Take a look at the Gator's schedule. LSU, Georgia, Kentucky, Vandy, South Carolina, Troy, and FSU all went to bowls last season. Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi State are all improved and may be in bowl contention. So the weak links are FIU and Charleston Southern. Oh how horrible! They only play in the toughest conference in the nation AND still schedule Florida State and Sun Belt Champ Troy. They really should try to add a few more top 25 teams to their schedule, because playing one of the toughest schedules each and every season isn't enough. :crazy:

They played one of the toughest schedules in the nation last season and have done that for awhile. You're never going to win an argument when you accuse Florida of having a bad SOS. This year may be easier than others if some teams are "down", but you can't predict that when creating a schedule.

doesn't Florida have CSU, Troy, Citadel and Vandy?
CSU - FCS...ok, crappy
Troy - Sun Belt Champs, likely will repeat. Not a bad game.
Citadel - that was the FCS team from last year. The other 3 OOC games were Hawaii (fresh off a BCS bowl game), Miami, and Florida State. Oh the horror!
Vandy - Went to a bowl game last season and is expected to go to one this year. It's a conference opponent (which is gonna get hella funny when I get into the next post I'm quoting from you) and they're actually pretty solid right now!

Let's Go P-S-U
Utah wasn't good enough and didn't play a tough enough schedule to play for the title. Based on the current system, they played in the correct game. Now I'm not saying they shouldn't have played for the title and a playoff shouldn't happen, but there's no way anyone can say Utah would have beat Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, or USC.

Cupcake is arguable but after a 10 minute look at these schools schedules reveals they have not stooped to the depths of playing woefully lower opponents like South Eastern Rhode Island Institute of the Cullinary arts. Depending how you class Toledo, Central Michigan and Florida Atlantic you could add Clemson, Ohio state, Michigan, Michigan state, Illinois and Minnesota to those below.

Georgia
Utah
Pen state
Notre Dame
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Ok so lets get back to my last comment toward you about conference scheduling and how you pointing out Vandy as a weakness is "hella funny". UTAH? UTAH? They only play in one of the non-BCS conferences that features quite a few CRAP teams. Who cares what their out of conference strength of schedule is? Their in conference SOS is pathetic! Boise State's is even worse! But Utah plays Utah State, San Jose State, New Mexico, Wyoming, UNLV, and a bunch of other pathetic teams. Ha!

Notre Dame plays a pretty weak schedule this year too. Washington and Washington State are both horrible. They are catching quite a few other big name programs on down-swings too. Lou Holtz even commented that Notre Dame may not even be a top 15 team, but their schedule is so easy that all they have to do is beat USC and they could make the championship game. That's pathetic, but it's not their fault. Only 2 non-BCS teams on their schedule, and Nevada and Navy aren't cupcakes.

Georgia plays Tennessee Tech, which is a cupcake by any definition. Penn State plays Temple, who just lost to an FCS school (Villanova). I believe Eastern Illinois is an FCS school as well. Nebraska plays Arkansas State and Louisiana Lafayette, who are two craphole teams in the SunBelt. They're basically free wins, even if it's not FCS. Oklahoma plays Idaho State, who is FCS. Oklahoma State plays Grambling State, another FCS school.

WTF were you looking at dude?

Last edited:

Beta84

They're out to get us

Georgia
Utah
Pen state
Notre Dame
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

And to add on to your other group...

Clemson - Coastal Carolina, FCS
Ohio state - their OOC consists of Navy, USC, Toledo, and New Mexico State. Finally, an OOC schedule that definitely beats Florida's. Congrats. :yahoo:
Michigan - Delaware State, FCS
Michigan state - Montana State, FCS
Illinois - Illinois State, FCS
Minnesota - South Dakota State, FCS

I can't find any hard evidence, but I saw somewhere that 56 (out of 65?) BCS teams play an FCS teams with 34 non-BCS teams playing an FCS team. That's 90 out of 120. The NCAA is encouraging the bigger schools to help their economically challenged brothers of the FCS and lower level FBS.

Last edited:

Beta84

They're out to get us
Utah would have beat Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, or USC.

:neener: that wasn't hard to say.

:smack:

:lol:

So now that Boise has beat Oregon and has nobody in their path for the BCS, will you be championing them this year? Or will you tell them to start adding a little more firepower to their OOC schedule so they have a bigger beef?

Mama_Mia08

How can Utah have been shafted? You are arguing that they played well enough to then be voted on as the winner. That simply means someone else would have been shafted instead of them.

NCAA DI football is the same as ice skating; it is not decided on the field; The French judge decides. :lol:

I guess what I was trying to get at is the voting and rankings suck. Football is football not a frickin democracy. You either run the ball, play well or you don't. If the team is undefeated then they should play for the national championship. Regardless of how "easy" their wins were. Let's just blame it on the French, you're right lol.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I guess what I was trying to get at is the voting and rankings suck. Football is football not a frickin democracy. You either run the ball, play well or you don't. If the team is undefeated then they should play for the national championship. Regardless of how "easy" their wins were. Let's just blame it on the French, you're right lol.

What if USC, Penn St, Texas, Utah, Florida and Charleston Penmanship Academy are all undefeated? What then, huh?

:lol:

Pete

Repete
Boise State was ready to a certain degree. They were also the home team. In a few weeks, Boise State will play much better than what they did this week. They were also VERY sloppy. Oregon was even sloppier, but their offense is more sophisticated and takes more time to get installed.

The Gators scheduled this game 5 years ago. They went 7-5 or 8-5 when they scheduled the game. Either way, most FBS schools schedule FCS games. That's how it goes.

Troy won the Sun Belt last season, which is an FBS conference. What the heck do you want? Should they be playing BCS teams every single week? Take a look at the Gator's schedule. LSU, Georgia, Kentucky, Vandy, South Carolina, Troy, and FSU all went to bowls last season. Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi State are all improved and may be in bowl contention. So the weak links are FIU and Charleston Southern. Oh how horrible! They only play in the toughest conference in the nation AND still schedule Florida State and Sun Belt Champ Troy. They really should try to add a few more top 25 teams to their schedule, because playing one of the toughest schedules each and every season isn't enough. :crazy:

They played one of the toughest schedules in the nation last season and have done that for awhile. You're never going to win an argument when you accuse Florida of having a bad SOS. This year may be easier than others if some teams are "down", but you can't predict that when creating a schedule.

CSU - FCS...ok, crappy
Troy - Sun Belt Champs, likely will repeat. Not a bad game.
Citadel - that was the FCS team from last year. The other 3 OOC games were Hawaii (fresh off a BCS bowl game), Miami, and Florida State. Oh the horror!
Vandy - Went to a bowl game last season and is expected to go to one this year. It's a conference opponent (which is gonna get hella funny when I get into the next post I'm quoting from you) and they're actually pretty solid right now!

Utah wasn't good enough and didn't play a tough enough schedule to play for the title. Based on the current system, they played in the correct game. Now I'm not saying they shouldn't have played for the title and a playoff shouldn't happen, but there's no way anyone can say Utah would have beat Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, or USC.

Ok so lets get back to my last comment toward you about conference scheduling and how you pointing out Vandy as a weakness is "hella funny". UTAH? UTAH? They only play in one of the non-BCS conferences that features quite a few CRAP teams. Who cares what their out of conference strength of schedule is? Their in conference SOS is pathetic! Boise State's is even worse! But Utah plays Utah State, San Jose State, New Mexico, Wyoming, UNLV, and a bunch of other pathetic teams. Ha!

Notre Dame plays a pretty weak schedule this year too. Washington and Washington State are both horrible. They are catching quite a few other big name programs on down-swings too. Lou Holtz even commented that Notre Dame may not even be a top 15 team, but their schedule is so easy that all they have to do is beat USC and they could make the championship game. That's pathetic, but it's not their fault. Only 2 non-BCS teams on their schedule, and Nevada and Navy aren't cupcakes.

Georgia plays Tennessee Tech, which is a cupcake by any definition. Penn State plays Temple, who just lost to an FCS school (Villanova). I believe Eastern Illinois is an FCS school as well. Nebraska plays Arkansas State and Louisiana Lafayette, who are two craphole teams in the SunBelt. They're basically free wins, even if it's not FCS. Oklahoma plays Idaho State, who is FCS. Oklahoma State plays Grambling State, another FCS school.

WTF were you looking at dude?

You can mack your yap yap all you want for Florida to schedule Charleston Southern, be it yesterday or 5 friggin years ago is a stooge move to buy a cheap win under the guise of "helping them out". Charleston Southern for piss sakes! Before the schedule came out who even heard of them? Why not go all the way Fonzie and schedule Miss Alma Ursery's School of Stenography because there are no degrees when you jump the shark.

Otter

Nothing to see here
I am a Utah man, sir and I live across the green.
Our gang it is the jolliest that you have ever seen.
Our coeds are the fairest and each one's a shining star.
Our yell, you hear it ringing through the mountains near and far.

Chorus:
Who am I, sir, a Utah man am I:
A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die: Ki! Ki!
We're up to snuff: we never bluff.
We're game for any fuss.
No other gang of college men dare meet us in the muss.
So fill your lungs and sing it out shout it to the sky.
We'll fight for dear old crimson for.....

Chorus:

And when we prom the avenue, all lined up in a row.
And arm in arm and step in time as down the street we go.
No matter if a freshman green, or in a senior's gown,
The people all admit we are the warmest gang in town.

Chorus:

We may not live forever on this jolly good old sphere,
But while we do we'll live a life of merriment and cheer.
And when our college days are o'er and night is drawing nigh,
With parting breath we'll sing that song:

A Utah Man am I!

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Chorus:
We're game for any fuss.

Chorus:

Chorus:

A Utah Man am I!

And you insist we're supposed to respect these people?

Pete

Repete

Chorus:
We're game for any fuss.

Chorus:

Chorus:

A Utah Man am I!
Did you know that Charleston Southern has 3,200 students enrolled? University of GA's powder puff game is Tennessee Tech which had 10,600?

And now you know the rest of the story.