The Passion of Christ

Will you go to see Mel Gibson's "The Passion of Christ"?

• yes

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • maybe

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • no

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • don't know

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by willie
What did that fat, ugly, hairy baby that Satan was holding signify?

Two theories... Like someone already said, that it represented evil and all the forms it can take...

Or...

like my stepfather said... it represented the Anti-Christ. As Christ was dying, the Anti-Christ was born...

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by sleuth14
Two theories... Like someone already said, that it represented evil and all the forms it can take...

Or...

like my stepfather said... it represented the Anti-Christ. As Christ was dying, the Anti-Christ was born...

One theory I've heard is that Satan was taunting Jesus, like "Even I take care of my progeny, and look what your father is going to do to you." Part of his temptation scheme.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Tonio
One theory I've heard is that Satan was taunting Jesus, like "Even I take care of my progeny, and look what your father is going to do to you." Part of his temptation scheme.

AAhhhh, interesting. Definitely a possibility.

F

Flo

Re: Sealbasher's Official Movie Review:

Originally posted by Club'nBabySeals
1. Church group who tried to lead a "group prayer" before the start of the film. Sit down, shut up, and watch the damned movie before I throw my popcorn at you.

2. Religious family who believes this experience should be shared with even the youngest members of the family....including the 4 month old baby (that needed to be breastfed mid-movie, of course). Be courteous enough to get a damned babysitter...and when your 5 year old is pointing at the dying Christ yelling "Dad, that's so COOL!", he probably isn't mature enough to be watching an R rated film, anyway. :burning:

3. Maniacal couple who sobs from the first ten minutes of the film until its end...and sit right next to ME....don't touch me, you snotty freak of nature...don't touch me...

This is the exact reason I don't care to go to a movie theater to watch this movie. Hopefully within the next year, it will come out on DVD.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Re: Sealbasher's Official Movie Review:

Originally posted by Flo
This is the exact reason I don't care to go to a movie theater to watch this movie. Hopefully within the next year, it will come out on DVD.

I didn't have any of this nonsense going on at the movie I attended! Everyone was SILENT throughout the movie and I don't think one single person even got up to pee!

willie

That was something that stood out....the silence. When they drove the spike into his hand, there was a few yelps but that was it. We saw it in Ocean City and the theater was abot 3/4 full at mid day.

RodRugg

My grandma saw that movie and she LOVED it! She came home all fired up and started throwing stuff around and digging out all her photo albums to see if she knew any Jewish people. She said them Jewish people beat the life out of Jesus. She said she wasn't mad at them but she just wanted to see if she knew any Jewish people that ever beat the life out of somebody. She said a lot of those people on America's Most Wanted are probably Jewish. She LOVED that movie and can't stop talking about it. She said she's gonna get Jewish on that neighbor's kid if he don't stop hurling rocks at her birdfeeder. She ain't been this excited about a movie since she saw "Every Which Way But Loose" and put my uncle in the hospital.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by RodRugg
My grandma saw that movie and she LOVED it! She came home all fired up and started throwing stuff around and digging out all her photo albums to see if she knew any Jewish people. She said them Jewish people beat the life out of Jesus. She said she wasn't mad at them but she just wanted to see if she knew any Jewish people that ever beat the life out of somebody. She said a lot of those people on America's Most Wanted are probably Jewish. She LOVED that movie and can't stop talking about it. She said she's gonna get Jewish on that neighbor's kid if he don't stop hurling rocks at her birdfeeder. She ain't been this excited about a movie since she saw "Every Which Way But Loose" and came home and nearly beat my uncle to death.

:lol: Was she mad at your uncle because he compared her looks to Sondra Locke's?

Hessian

Nails...

The only presence of Mel Gibson in the movie....

His hands were filmed--the ones DRIVING the nails into Christ...

so, who really is responsible for Christ's death on the cross?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Everything Mel has done recently has been controversial. Braveheart and The Patriot were both criticized for violence. And some critics thought Mel was suggesting that the effeminate prince in Braveheart deserved his fate. The Patriot was attacked for allegedly sanitizing slavery and for allegedly portraying the British soldiers as redcoated Nazis. Justified? I haven't seen The Patrioit, and lost my interest in Braveheart after an hour.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by willie
What did that fat, ugly, hairy baby that Satan was holding signify?

Here's your answer Willie --
"Please explain the symbolism in the scene showing Satan holding a bald baby. Thank you."

Rosalinda Celentano as Satan

That's just one of dozens of e-mails we've received in the last few days, asking about a surreal scene in The Passion of The Christ where Satan is shown cradling a hideous baby who looks like he's about 40 years old.

The scene occurs during the flogging of Christ. Satan is passing through a crowd of onlookers, cradling an infant in his arms. The baby turns to face the camera, revealing a sinister infant, creeping out audiences everywhere.

We took your questions straight to the source, e-mailing Mel Gibson's publicist for an answer.

When asked why he portrayed Satan—an androgynous, almost beautiful being played by Rosalinda Celentano—the way he did, Gibson replied: "I believe the Devil is real, but I don't believe he shows up too often with horns and smoke and a forked tail. The devil is smarter than that. Evil is alluring, attractive. It looks almost normal, almost good—but not quite.

"That's what I tried to do with the Devil in the film. The actor's face is symmetric, beautiful in a certain sense, but not completely. For example, we shaved her eyebrows. Then we shot her almost in slow motion so you don't see her blink—that's not normal. We dubbed in a man's voice in Gethsemane even though the actor is a woman … That's what evil is about, taking something that's good and twisting it a little bit."

But what about the ugly baby?

"Again," said Gibson, "it's evil distorting what's good. What is more tender and beautiful than a mother and a child? So the Devil takes that and distorts it just a little bit. Instead of a normal mother and child you have an androgynous figure holding a 40-year-old 'baby' with hair on his back. It is weird, it is shocking, it's almost too much—just like turning Jesus over to continue scourging him on his chest is shocking and almost too much, which is the exact moment when this appearance of the Devil and the baby takes place."

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:confused: Did I read that somewhere, or see it on a TV news program, that the actor playing Jesus actually did get struck by lightning during the shooting of the movie?

Boy, what kinds of thoughts go through your mind if you're out there on the movie set, and you get nailed not only by spikes, but a LIGHTING BOLT, as well?

Is somebody else out there watching this event too?:cool:

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
In a show about the making of the movie, Jim Caviezel (sp?) told about how he got hit by lightning when they were filming the scene related to the sermon on the mount. Apparently there was quite an electrical charge in the air, and he commented to some of the others, "I'm gonna get hit by lightning up here on this hill." And four seconds later it happened.

He said it felt like somebody boxed both of his ears at thesame time, and that his vision was filled with a pink fog for about 8 seconds. Then it went away and it was time to go get checked out at the local hospital. His co-workers said it looked like fire was shooting out of his head for those 8 seconds.

Pretty impressive that he could take a direct hit like that and not lose consciousness or get badly hurt. It really does make you wonder if "someone" is paying attention. Jim is very blessed to be here today. :biggrin:

nomoney

Originally posted by tlatchaw

Pretty impressive that he could take a direct hit like that and not lose consciousness or get badly hurt. It really does make you wonder if "someone" is paying attention. Jim is very blessed to be here today. :biggrin:

That or it was just a warning to get the heck off the cross

RodRugg

The man down the street with the big wishing well in his yard went to see that movie last night and he got Jesus accepted in his heart right there during the movie. He said when they drived them screws in Jesus' hands he felt the Holy Ghost get in him and he went NUTS. He tried to stand up on the arms of his seat and slipped and hit his head on a guard rail. He passed out for a while and when he woke up he said they already had Jesus' feet screwed in. Then he said he heard Jesus say "Sir, come with me please." Then he said he was trying to fight it and screaming and punching around. Next thing he said he was outside in the grass and he felt real calm. He said then he knowed he was accepted in Jesus' heart. That just must be a real powerful movie and our preacher says it's based on a true story.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Originally posted by nomoney
That or it was just a warning to get the heck off the cross

There was no cross present during the sermon on the mount. Don't you think that if this was a message from the almighty that he would have been killed?

Bacall

I saw this over the weekend. I think it's being over hyped. Although it was good enough, I don't see what all the noise is about. I would have expected Mary to be a little more distraught than was portrayed in this film. I heard a few sniffles and saw a few looks of shock after the movie. The atmosphere wasn't as solemn after the movie as I expected from other reviews I've read. On a scale of 1 to 5, I'd give it a 3.

willie

Originally posted by frankie
I saw this over the weekend. I think it's being over hyped. Although it was good enough, I don't see what all the noise is about. I would have expected Mary to be a little more distraught than was portrayed in this film. I heard a few sniffles and saw a few looks of shock after the movie. The atmosphere wasn't as solemn after the movie as I expected from other reviews I've read. On a scale of 1 to 5, I'd give it a 3.
:yeahthat:
I'd give it a 2.5

RodRugg

I finally saw this movie and let me just say it was AMAZING! That guy that played Jesus did real good and looked just like him! People in that theater cried and screamed and some old man throwed up and had to leave. I wish Jesus knew kung fu and he could spin around and kick them guys heads off. All's I can say is I hope that never happens to me. One time I got beat senseless and put in a coma but nobody ever put a crown of antlers on me or put nails in me. I felt sorry for Jesus and I just wish he knew kung fu or the ancient art of combat. If they had guns back then I know he would have shot them guys dead. Anyways I give this movie nine stars and would be ten or eleven but the words were too fast to read it all.