The Passion of Christ

Will you go to see Mel Gibson's "The Passion of Christ"?

• yes

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • maybe

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • no

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • don't know

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Christy

b*tch rocket
Thanks for the review Club, I'm dying to see it, but refuse to be crammed in elbow to elbow to see a movie. I'll give it a few weeks for the crowds to die down.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Originally posted by cariblue
I shouldn't be surprised, but damn. You should hear the idiots calling in to complain about the graphic violence. What part of rated 'R' do these people not understand?

On that same note, I'd like to know where people are getting the impression that the crucifixion of Jesus was a cakewalk. I've seen the movie, and I knew what I was getting myself into beforehand, because every newscast, interview, or article I've seen about it has explained that this is an extremely violent movie. It's made that way for a reason-to cause an impact that reaches into your soul. For thousands of years, it's been romanticized, and I don't think people really understand how horrific this event was. In my opinion it's about time someone made this movie. If people have a problem with it, they should just not go see it, because at the end of the day, it's just a movie, and what you make of it is up to you.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Nickel
For thousands of years, it's been romanticized, and I don't think people really understand how horrific this event was.

True. Crucifixion was an extremely brutal punishment. It was a common Roman punishment. I think both Kubrick ("Spartacus") and Monty Python ("Life of Brian") took some heat for including crucifixion scenes. And Kubrick's movie had brutality as well.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Mel isn't to blame for this incident, of course. Any controversy seems to bring out the attention-seekers...

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~82~1979021,00.html

the Lovingway United Pentacostal Church posted a billboard along South Colorado Boulevard proclaiming, "Jews killed the Lord Jesus ... Settled."

Colorado has an uneasy past with racism and anti-Semitism, beginning with the Ku Klux Klan's dominance of state politics in the 1920s, and punctuated by the KKK march in the late 1970s and (Jewish talk-show host Alan) Berg's 1984 assassination (by white supremacists).

Last edited:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Originally posted by Tonio
Mel isn't to blame for this incident, of course. Any controversy seems to bring out the attention-seekers...

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~82~1979021,00.html

I don't understand how people can be that cruel...Christ was put on this Earth to die, as a sacrifice for the sins of mankind. The fact that he died at the hands of the Romans and Jews is just a technicality. The bottom line is that he was born to die, and regardless of who killed him, it was destined to happen.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by Nickel
I don't understand how people can be that cruel...Christ was put on this Earth to die, as a sacrifice for the sins of mankind. The fact that he died at the hands of the Romans and Jews is just a technicality. The bottom line is that he was born to die, and regardless of who killed him, it was destined to happen.
:yay: That's about what Steve said on the Fox Morning News show; that it was brutally violent, but with outstanding acting, and the cinematography was lucious, a really well made movie.

BTW, I have not seen the movie yet, but have only seen the trailers so far, and the "making of the movie", however, I think the person portraying Satan was played by a woman.

I agree with Christy, I'll let all the furor die down for a few weeks before I go to see it - and I really hope there aren't any 5 year olds around yelling - "Dad, that is so cool", during the actual crucifixion scene.:frown:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Originally posted by penncam
[Bthe cinematography was lucious, a really well made movie.

[/B]

It was, without a doubt, the most beautiful film I have ever seen. Cinematic genius. It's a shame that some people won't see it solely based on the subject matter. I got to go to a pre-screening with people from church, so I didn't have to deal with children, or any talking at all. Complete silence through the entire movie, except for the occasional sobbing, and not a dry eye in the room (men included).

willie

Waaaaay too bloody for me but the three others with me thought it was powerful. If you did not have any prejudice against Jews before seeing this movie, you were not going to acquire any from seeing it.

willie

What did that fat, ugly, hairy baby that Satan was holding signify? It looked like PFGals dog with some of its hair removed.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by willie
Waaaaay too bloody for me but the three others with me thought it was powerful. If you did not have any prejudice against Jews before seeing this movie, you were not going to acquire any from seeing it.

You have a point. Maybe the movie only confirms what was in the person's mind in the first place. It may be the individual, not the movie.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
What did that fat, ugly, hairy baby that Satan was holding signify? It looked like PFGals dog with some of its hair removed.

I haven't seen the film yet and am not sure what you're referring to, but would guess that it signifies sin?

I did get a chuckle out of your description, however! :biggrin:

willie

Originally posted by tlatchaw
I haven't seen the film yet and am not sure what you're referring to, but would guess that it signifies sin?

You may be right. It definitely had the evil look. No offense PFGal:biggrin:

It did amaze me that some parents, after seeing the show, were going to bring their children to see it.:confused: I am about as religious as a young child that has not figured it all out yet and it affected me about like a chainsaw murder flick would. The three relatives that saw it with me are very religious and it affected them in a profound way that was a bit difficult for me to understand but that's life.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser

From my understanding, the person that is "Satan", the baby, and the children that attack Judas represent evil, and reinforce that it is found in all forms...that is why Satan is androgynous-he/she has female characteristics and is played by a woman, yet has a man's voice.

willie

Thanks Nickel. That clears up about the kids. I figured he just went through a bad part of town. It was easy enough to see the serpents symbolism but the kids were a bit of a stretch.

JabbaJawz

Be about it

:lmao: I wondered the same thing. That *baby*, or whatever it was, freaked me out! WTF was it?!?! :shrug:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by tlatchaw

Interesting thought. I can see where that could be the case, maybe that's it!

JabbaJawz

Be about it
We saw the movie last night at Arundel Mills with my Mom and Grandmother. There was actually plenty of room in our theater, even though the line to get in there was VERY LONG. We'e pre-purshased our tix, so that was easy, but they have the movies running so close together that you basically line up at the door of your theater to wait for them to allow entrance.

I LOVED it. Absolutely loved it. Definitely a very emotional movie, but I certainly wasn't sobbing or bawling during any of it. Just teary eyed during some scenes. Definitely graphic, but that's what I expected. I just think it was awesome in general. My Mother isn't sure what she thinks of it, and left feeling emotionally drained. Husband didn't know as much about the story as we did (I remembered quite a bit from my 9 years of schooling) so I explained some of the confusing parts to him as we went along. My grandmother, husband, and myself all really enjoyed it.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
It was easy enough to see the serpents symbolism but the kids were a bit of a stretch.

When Jesus stepped on the head of the snake, he was fulfilling prophecy. It was foretold that he would do that.

Also, the part about tearing down the temple and rebuilding it in 3 days... that was the earthquake that destroyed the temple, and by rising from his tomb after 3 days, that was the rebuilding part.

Mountain MaMa

WV bound
I also saw it at Arundel Mills yesterday..
I found it very emotional and I did cry through a lot of it. But I also cry at Hallmark commercials..

I loved the movie and the controversy doesn't bother me a bit. I was not raised in a church going family so whether or not it follows the scripture has no bearing for me.

However, there were some children in the theatre that in my opinion were too young to be there.

very graphic and violent.. but I would still recommend it.