The School crisis is about to go Defcon 4

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I know teachers that have over 25 years experience that don't make that amount. Administrators, yes, they make over 100k/year.
A lot of fields suffer from having highly compensated folks that don't add any value to the finished product. Contractor work has to take the cake for these types of positions. But it's all good as long as it's billable to the government.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

I don't know where the teachers are that LightRoasted says make 100k a year. They aren't in SMC. I know teachers that have over 25 years experience that don't make that amount. Administrators, yes, they make over 100k/year.

All I know is LR must be very busy and never sleep to be able to keep up with being a woman, a teacher, a repairman, and an expert on everything in between.
In Calvert County, many do.

PeoplesElbow

A friends daughter went to school to be a teacher, one year into it she is going back to college so she doesnt have to deal with "those booger machines" anymore.

Hessian

A friends daughter went to school to be a teacher, one year into it she is going back to college so she doesnt have to deal with "those booger machines" anymore.
I KNOW the data has been collected...even studied. How many certified college grads pull the plug on teaching after 2 yrs...5 years?...How many are still at it after 10 years. How many have bounced around the school system because they are tenured, Union protected...and utterly worthless in the classroom? (THAT is also a sad byproduct....districts that HAVE to hold on to unproductive teachers just to put warm bodies in a classroom).
Naturally...these TWO factors impact the quality of education that our taxes support.

Bare-ya-cuda

I KNOW the data has been collected...even studied. How many certified college grads pull the plug on teaching after 2 yrs...5 years?...How many are still at it after 10 years. How many have bounced around the school system because they are tenured, Union protected...and utterly worthless in the classroom? (THAT is also a sad byproduct....districts that HAVE to hold on to unproductive teachers just to put warm bodies in a classroom).
Naturally...these TWO factors impact the quality of education that our taxes support.
I have worked with several over the years in base that used to be a teacher in SMC but walked away from it for various reasons.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

I KNOW the data has been collected...even studied. How many certified college grads pull the plug on teaching after 2 yrs...5 years?...How many are still at it after 10 years. How many have bounced around the school system because they are tenured, Union protected...and utterly worthless in the classroom? (THAT is also a sad byproduct....districts that HAVE to hold on to unproductive teachers just to put warm bodies in a classroom). Naturally...these TWO factors impact the quality of education that our taxes support.
Because they finally realized the system does not allow a teacher to teach. They are only allowed to regurgitate. Any deviation from official circular by using personal creativity is frowned upon or punishable. The one's that stick around abuse the system for their financial gain caring not for the children in their care. Oh, they may play a good game extolling their high calling to mold the minds of youth, but deep down, they do not care and simply hold out until pension time.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My brother went straight from college to a teaching position (PhyEd K-6) and retired from the same school and job. It was very different back then, there were unruly kids, but for the best part they were decent, and he really liked what he did. Things in the school system were changing, not for the better, as he neared retirement, and was just marking time to keep his benefits in retirement.

I can't see the average millennial in a teaching position.

3CATSAILOR

My brother went straight from college to a teaching position (PhyEd K-6) and retired from the same school and job. It was very different back then, there were unruly kids, but for the best part they were decent, and he really liked what he did. Things in the school system were changing, not for the better, as he neared retirement, and was just marking time to keep his benefits in retirement.

I can't see the average millennial in a teaching position.
When I got out of High School, I thought I would go to College and become a teacher. I thought I would try being a Sub a little bit before College to see if I would be interested in it. The teacher I was a Sub for died from his illness. I taught calculus to essentially what was the top 5 % of the school body. I was doing a good job, even at my young age. Without a degree, I was asked to be full time. This meant I had to grade the kids, etc. They said it was legal so long as they were actively seeking a teacher with a degree. I had the math teacher across the hall to help me if I needed it. However, I rarely needed her help. Instantly, I was thrown into the entire spectrum of teaching. I did it for just over two years. Even back then, so many years ago, I thought teaching was like being a police officer. Ironically, after College I ended up going through the Federal Law Enforcement Academy and did become a Federal Law Enforcement Officer.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Folks often say I should be a teacher from the way I can relate historical info, family stories, project advice and insights.
Maybe back when families were likely to be intact, and the children raised to respect themselves and others.

Kinnakeet

I hope everybody is enjoying Summer break but there is a storm on the horizon...It is the 2022-23 school year across America.

* I have already heard of a state dropping certification standards just to recruit teachers.
* I am sure other compromises are underway. Recruitment bonuses are posted....and thus districts will demand more $$ from recession-bound communities.
* The student counts in classrooms will overwhelm many teachers... who are coming off the C19 panic policies & ineffective zoom-based lessons. Morale will continue to fall.
* Less college students are entering teaching....and their 'student teaching' experiences were often in remote learning environments...how will they do in front of 29 7th graders? A colleague posted data of soaring resignations in Rochester NY schools... greater than multiple years combined!
* Testing over the past three years has been spotty...but the results that have been gathered?...Monumental deficiencies in math & reading have emerged...how will teachers compensate? (Montgomery Cnty Schools-Md)
* Private schools are very hesitant to raise tuition due to the financial crisis that has been created by governmental policies. THUS...pay will not match inflation, books will not be replaced, programs may be reduced & more sacrifices will have to be made by faculty.
* Unions will feel the membership's frustrations and may be prompted to do anything from work-to-the-rule, sick-outs, or even outright strike.
* The plea for more Bus drivers has been very serious through last year....and judging by the number of signs I have seen, it has not improved. I know morale among drivers has also been a problem. It leads me to believe.....School transport in many districts is seriously strained.

So...I am not a meteorologist, but I KNOW a storm is coming...and the clouds have already arrived. Expect the first lashing to appear by Labor day.
The plan from the Government to help AMERICA

Kinnakeet

I give credit to the honest teachers trying to make a difference. The under the radar indoctrinators can go pound sand.

I had a shipmate that became a teacher after she got out of the navy. She teaches in a semi-rural area of Florida, not too far from Jacksonville. She told me she chose that school district because the kids in that area are still taught manners. Students address adults as Sir & Maam. There, the few rotten apples are only found after having to dig through the entire barrel. Parent involvement also helps. I met another guy whose daughter became a 1st year teacher in a middle school in downtown Jacksonville. She hated it and quit midyear in March. 7 months of that showed her that clearly she was in the wrong business. It wasn't the school work that ran her off. It was the kids' behaviors.
Friend of mine taught a Lackey High for several years she finaly quit and got a Gubberment job she was 1 of 3 white teachers can you imagine that

Kinnakeet

You're right! No one with 12-15 years experience, a Master's Degree, and advanced certifications within their discipline deserves $100K/year! :sarcasm:
I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that there are several people on this very forum that have NO degree and less experience that make that much or more.
Teachers deserve a 100,000 just because they put up with all those undisciplined little weaty beats

Kinnakeet

AND...I believe all of you are familiar with the lack of cooperation, integrity, and responsibility that flourished during the ZOOM teaching months. I had mixed classes...8 in class, 20 on Zoom and tried to teach from my desk & camera.
Perhaps younger, more connected & creative teachers could handle that better...but it was grueling day after day trying to check digital submissions, re-submissions, attendance & tech glitches, having students do presentations remotely....and having to wipe desks vigorously between each class so the kids don't catch the Wuhan Red death.

I am VERY certain that covid killed the careers of thousands of experienced senior teachers who just were overwhelmed. We lost many qualified, dedicated professionals...all due to US Paid for, Chinese gain-of-function, completely mishandled outbreak & associated lies.
TRUTH 100%

phreddyp

Teachers deserve a 100,000 just because they put up with all those undisciplined little weaty beats
No! They do not, teachers are basically glorified assembly line workers. Teach the same thing year after year 10 months a year. with great benefit packages. If it wasn't for the school boards changing the way subjects and methods are taught most teachers could schlep through their careers without much additional schooling. Teachers are their own worst enemy!

Hessian

Phreddyp...please share your experience trying to hold your certification through your required Master's program...
How many preps do you do to match the sections taught?
What accommodations did you have to make for the 15% of the kids that have IEPs...and were you able to defend them in hostile parental conferences?
I am sure you can tell us about all those evenings volunteering with the school play...or was it assistant coaching? Mentoring? PTA meetings? Class sponsored fundraisers?...maybe all of the above.
I am sure reading those 6 textbooks went smoothly when you were tasked over the summer to choose a new textbook...by July 30.
My glorious benefits package does not include dental and thus I am typing away wondering if I can afford to pay for the missing cap that popped off last week. how's your package?

OK...time for you to shut up now....really...please shut up.

phreddyp

Phreddyp...please share your experience trying to hold your certification through your required Master's program...
What accommodations did you have to make for the 15% of the kids that have IEPs...and were you able to defend them in hostile parental conferences?
I am sure you can tell us about all those evenings volunteering with the school play...or was it assistant coaching? Mentoring? PTA meetings? Class sponsored fundraisers?...maybe all of the above.
I am sure reading those 6 textbooks went smoothly when you were tasked over the summer to choose a new textbook...by July 30.
My glorious benefits package does not include dental and thus I am typing away wondering if I can afford to pay for the missing cap that popped off last week. how's your package?

You act like I don't know any Teachers . Now here's the truth ALL of those things are required by your peers "YOUR" peers! Don't try to tell me how tough you have it, all jobs require some sacrifice some are tougher than other. Most likely you work in an air conditioned building with a cafeteria, water and restroom readily available many employees do not. If your job is too tough for you may I suggest that you change careers to one that offers adequate compensation and work environment that you deem yourself worthy of. If not suck it up buttercup, start complaining to your union and get involved.

Just so YOU know I got my masters in 1976 and never looked back .

LightRoasted

If I may ...

So what changes are there that there is this constant "need" for these certifications? Or required higher degrees? Being forced by the system or union? Teaching is teaching, what changes so much for the constant CE?
Volunteering? No one forces you to volunteer.
Textbooks. I thought that the State picked those books? But? Why not just any pick one? Throw a dart at a list on a wall and go with that one. Why read all 6?
Dental. Did you decide not to participate in the dental insurance programs, of which there are two, provided by the school system, if in St. Mary's? And as well does Calvert? Many private sector workers have no access to any dental programs, and pay as they go. Have you thought of that, or how those in the private sector suffer as well?

Really though. Why all the griping? Seems that you are more frustrated with the system and union, or you simply do not like your job. Maybe you live beyond your means as many in government do. There are many out there that have it far worse than you and yet they don't complain because they are happy to have an income producing job. Maybe you feel guilted into performing these extra over and beyond normal work activities? Why not just leave at the end of the scheduled day like everyone else and go home? Why do teachers think they have to stay and do these things? Do you/they think your being altruistic will be recognized for these extra contributions? And when they aren't they get emotionally butt hurt? In addition to being butt hurt when the general public, such as some here, question and do not put your profession on a pedestal? Many, do, as I do, respect teachers and their role. But all this woe-is-me from you guys, gets tremendously annoying. Simply put, your issues are not unique to teachers, as the vast majority of those in the private sector deal with them every single day.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

I've always wondered how school systems fooled teachers into thinking it would be a high paying lucrative career. I attended public school from 1979 to 1992 and I'd say at least half of my teachers always complained about their pay.

Hessian

I have been in private education since 1985...only one year teaching in public. Pay is a key issue--we are at 70% of what government schools pay.
All the additional expectations come from parents, committees, fellow staff, and admin.
There is no such thing as leaving your work....at work. We take it home & keep working on weekends...including weekly lesson plans & sub files.
There is no union.

phreddyp

I have been in private education since 1985...only one year teaching in public. Pay is a key issue--we are at 70% of what government schools pay.
All the additional expectations come from parents, committees, fellow staff, and admin.
There is no such thing as leaving your work....at work. We take it home & keep working on weekends...including weekly lesson plans & sub files.
There is no union.
It's up to you and you alone to improve your situation , being degreed one would think that you have figured that out well before now.