Third world grocery stores

PeoplesElbow

When you read Third World grocery stores, did anyone else immediately think of shoppers food warehouse?
They did sell this

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
All of the stores I was in today had a more than amply supply of TP in all major brands. What I didn't see anywhere was paper towel. Nada. Not even BJs.
I work at the California walmart. The no-splash bleach is usually in stock, grocery end of the laundry aisle. Check for lysol spray early morning and mid afternoon (usually when trucks come).
Thank you. There was generic no-splash in quart bottles and no Lysol spray, but I was there at 1pm, so .... What I did find was Clorox no-splash in gallon containers in Target for about $5.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Plenty of TP these days, and bleach.
Yes. someone was mentioning they couldn't find their brand of TP. It was pretty much everywhere today. The no-splash was a little harder to find, but now I have enough for months.

PeoplesElbow

In college we sure had a Chinese guy going when talking about coxk fighting, he really thought ppl fought with their dicks.

UglyBear

There is a lot to unpack in this statement. First - why were you in JoAnn Fabrics? On a Tuesday? Looking for “jars”?
He is crafty and wily. That’s the best location and time to pick up wild GILFs.

SugarBear47

It has come to my attention that you all still have empty grocery stores shelves - is that true? Having a hard time finding toilet paper, etc?

I'm curious why that would be. We had empty shelves in New Braunfels in mid March for a few weeks, and since then we've been in numerous states with everything being normal. Plenty of TP, plenty of meat, dry pasta, cleaning supplies, etc.

Are you all still having shortages?
We have 3rd world grocery stores even at normal times. We get the bottom of the barrel products and produce deliveries.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Because people are still ****ing hoarding stuff. I was at the Dunkirk Giant last Thursday and ran into one woman who had cleared out the sugar and flour. Sugar piled up in one cart being pushed while she was pulling the cart piled up with flour.
Maybe she has a bakery/ Cakery and her regular supply chain has failed

WheezyCarl

Plenty of TP these days, and bleach.

Aldi didn't have a drop of milk anywhere a few days ago, or organic eggs, and many other shelves were bare. Went yesterday and stocks are back up.

Visited Walmart in the same time frame quite a few shelves bare in certain parts of the store.

I called Walmart today and the message says: Due to a large demand in products, employees are not able to verify availability, check the apps... Funny thing is the number of in-store shoppers appears way down, at least the times I go there compared to pre-Corona. There used to be a 20-30 minute wait time in checkout lines (which is why I started shopping Aldi instead).

Along those lines, WM is launching Walmart+ Sept. 15. For something like $100/year, they will deliver anything that is in the store to your house for free, and I assume by deliver they mean a store delivery person visits you. Be interesting to see how this works. They have the order online and pickup free at the store service now, but you have to reserve a time, and after COVID hit, it was next to impossible to get an appointment. Before, I could often get the next day.
There's no milk in Aldi's because the Amish and/or Mennonite's buy it by the cart full!!! Recently saw a man with at least 15 gallons rolling through the parking lot. I thought they had their own cows...lol

BernieP

Resident PIA
We have 3rd world grocery stores even at normal times. We get the bottom of the barrel products and produce deliveries.
That's a particular problem with IGAs. Got to know the manager of Harvest Market and we discussed his frustration (and ours).
For example, they carried a particular product that was rather good, and it fit into a restricted diet - gave the person a snack they could eat.
But at times it would be out of stock for months on end. Out date dairy and often the produce would be lacking.
The chain stores have it in their plan, but the IGAs had to rely on independent haulers, who didn't want to make the run all the way down here, and make an empty run back.
Shoot, for a while it could take a week to get a FedEx package delivered, or you might just have to to Waldorf to pick it up.
That's changed as the population has grown a little but there has also been a huge shift to online retail. Now it's worth the investment for trucks to service the peninsula.

PeoplesElbow

That's a particular problem with IGAs. Got to know the manager of Harvest Market and we discussed his frustration (and ours).
For example, they carried a particular product that was rather good, and it fit into a restricted diet - gave the person a snack they could eat.
But at times it would be out of stock for months on end. Out date dairy and often the produce would be lacking.
The chain stores have it in their plan, but the IGAs had to rely on independent haulers, who didn't want to make the run all the way down here, and make an empty run back.
Shoot, for a while it could take a week to get a FedEx package delivered, or you might just have to to Waldorf to pick it up.
That's changed as the population has grown a little but there has also been a huge shift to online retail. Now it's worth the investment for trucks to service the peninsula.
We use to have an IGA Garden Fresh in my hometown, we called it Garbage Fresh for a reason.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I do miss the IGA in Rockford, IL. It was fairly small, like an Aldis, but kept as clean as a high end kitchen.

The owner, Brian, was THE BEST deer processor in the county.
Everything was de-boned, fat trimmed...made really good summer sausage and venison bratwurst, too.

If you didn't want to keep the hide and/or antlers, he'd give a credit against the butcher's bill.