This just caught me funny...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Goofing_Off said:
I know. Shouldn't that make you tremble? Given that you smoke like a chimney and don't care about Peter Jenning's passing, I would be a bit wary.
Hey, I'm obviously a better person than Peter Jennings because I'm alive and healthy and he's :dead:

Instigator

Instigator
Dull Knife

vraiblonde said:
http://somd.com/news/headlines/articles/2432.shtml

Guy threatens to commit suicide, so the cops taser him to make him drop the knife. :lmao:

But I'm curious - if someone wants to commit suicide, why waste the cops on it? Why not just let him go for it?

He probably was using a dull butter knife at that. Sounds like a big waste of good electricity to me. This is similar to the person threatening to jump of the WW bridge awhile back and the cops knock him off with a bean bay gun in order to break the deadlock. Why not just use a gentle nudge.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BuddyLee said:
But you're not 67 yet.:razz:
What's that got to do with it? Christopher Reeve's widow is younger than me and she's got the black lung, too. So God must love me more than He does her.

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
What's that got to do with it? Christopher Reeve's widow is younger than me and she's got the black lung, too. So God must love me more than He does her.
Then statistically speaking between the two, you should watch out around 55-56.:lol:

Goofing_Off

vraiblonde said:
Ach! Because we value human life, that's why.

At least some of us do. :angel:
Atheism does inevitably lead to utilitarianism, so it's good that you at least prove a philosophical point.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BuddyLee said:
Then statistically speaking between the two, you should watch out around 55.5.:lol:
Actually, I just looked and she's 3 years older than me. Which means I still have some time.

ylexot

Super Genius
kwillia said:
If I'm not mistaken, it's against the law to commit suicide... :ohwell: ... Paging Mr. King.
Wouldn't it be difficult to put a dead person an trial? Maybe you meant that it's illegal to attempt suicide... :razz:

SamSpade

vraiblonde said:
But don't you think it's a violation of his civil rights? Doesn't this guy have the right to end his life if he wants to? Or do you think the government has jurisdiction over that?
Sure - and if he were on acid, or stoned, or drunk, and wandering out in the middle of a highway, or heading to a cliff - we should just let him. It's his life.

In all honesty, I think when people are that massively distraught, they might as well be on drugs - their capacity for rationality is seriously diminished. We, as individuals would CERTAINLY try to talk a friend or relative off a ledge. But what if they don't have any? Who'll come to help them?

Forcing a stop to a suicide I think IS a violation -but there's certainly nothing wrong with persuasion. I think a moral society OUGHT to at least pretend to persuade.

(On the other hand - last night, the wife and I saw a CSI about a guy who fell off a building and LANDED on another guy, killing him. Maybe the danger - or inconvenience - of dealing with a dead body is worth considering).

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
kwillia said:
If I'm not mistaken, it's against the law to commit suicide...
I don't know why. Maybe the law was designed to protect the person's loved ones. Of course, the loved ones may have had enough of the person's issues and may see the suicide as euthanasia.

If you're convicted of trying to kill yourself, do you get the death penalty? :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SamSpade said:
Sure - and if he were on acid, or stoned, or drunk, and wandering out in the middle of a highway, or heading to a cliff - we should just let him. It's his life.
Well, if he's endangering others he should be stopped, obviously. But why stop someone who gets stoned and wants to jump off a cliff?

We, as individuals would CERTAINLY try to talk a friend or relative off a ledge. But what if they don't have any?
All the more reason, I would think. Unless you're planning on being this guy's new best friend and take care of him, nursing him through his trauma. Is it the Muslims that believe if you save a man's life you're now responsible for it, because you thwarted Allah's will? I can't remember...

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
ylexot said:
Wouldn't it be difficult to put a dead person an trial? Maybe you meant that it's illegal to attempt suicide... :razz:
You should be beaten to death for nit-picking. Drop 'em. :spank: :spank: :spank:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
K_Jo said:
You should be beaten to death for nit-picking.
Well, wait a minute. How do you know a person is attemping suicide unless they actually get the job done? So it must be the actual suicide that's against the law. And how do you prosecute a dead person?

I'm not making it up...:neener:

Considered a sin in many religions, and a CRIME in many jurisdictions

Legal views of suicide
Ironically, the punishment for attempted suicide in some jurisdictions has been death. Although a person who has successfully committed suicide might be thought to be beyond the reach of the law, there could still be legal consequences. For example, in the UK prior to 1961 their estate was forfeit.

The United Kingdom abolished the crimes of suicide and attempted suicide in the Suicide Act of 1961. By the early 1990s only two USA states still listed suicide as a crime, and these have since removed that classification. Increasingly, the term commit suicide is being consciously avoided, as it implies that suicide is a crime by equating it with other acts that are committed, such as murder or burglary.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
Well, wait a minute. How do you know a person is attemping suicide unless they actually get the job done? So it must be the actual suicide that's against the law. And how do you prosecute a dead person?
Look, I can't do all the thinking around here, OK? I'm no genius.

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
Whatever happened to 'intent'?

Instigator

Instigator
Goofing_Off said:
Atheism does inevitably lead to utilitarianism, so it's good that you at least prove a philosophical point.

Welcome to the world of the "Moral Minority". Personally I grow tired of subsidizing a weak and groveling society! :whistle: Just out of curiosity, how do you prove your quote or is it based on blind faith alone :confused: