This just caught me funny...

ylexot

Super Genius
vraiblonde said:
Well, wait a minute. How do you know a person is attemping suicide unless they actually get the job done? So it must be the actual suicide that's against the law. And how do you prosecute a dead person?
That's easy...
Try for an OD, but get taken to the hospital for a stomach pump.
Try to slash wrists, but do it the wrong way.
Try to hang self, but get found/cut down.
Some have even survived shooting themselves in the head!
Basically, get found in the process of trying to kill yourself.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BuddyLee said:
Whatever happened to 'intent'?
But intent is hard to prove. Maybe the guy just wanted to cut himself, which isn't against any law that I'm aware of.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
ylexot said:
That's easy...
Try for an OD, but get taken to the hospital for a stomach pump. Maybe they just wanted to get high or simply took too many aspirin.
Try to slash wrists, but do it the wrong way. It's not against the law to merely cut yourself.
Try to hang self, but get found/cut down. Auto-erotic asphyxiation?
Some have even survived shooting themselves in the head! Accident?
Basically, get found in the process of trying to kill yourself.
How would you like to be the lawyer that prosecutes a guy for attempted suicide? :lol:

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
But intent is hard to prove. Maybe the guy just wanted to cut himself, which isn't against any law that I'm aware of.
What if he leaves a suicide note, tells his friends, and has all the needed supplies near him at the time of the incident?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
ylexot said:
A suicide note might help in the prosecution...
So the guy wanted to kill himself, he gets brought up on criminal charges, and now his life REALLY sucks. Makes no sense to me.

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
So the guy wanted to kill himself, he gets brought up on criminal charges, and now his life REALLY sucks. Makes no sense to me.
A lot of laws don't.:lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If he REALLY....

elaine said:
If he really loved his children, he'd zap the cops with a lightening bolt.

...loved all his children he'd zapp all the criminals and we wouldn't need no cops.

:nah:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Larry Gude said:
...loved all his children he'd zapp all the criminals and we wouldn't need no cops.

:nah:
Don't complicate things, please. You'll make Goofing Off's head explode.

K

Kizzy

Kwillia is right, it is against the law to kill yourself or attempt to kill yourself. I think it is up to a year in jail and/or a $10,000 fine, of course you would have had to fail at the attempt to get that.

I’ve never known the State’s Attorney to even bother prosecuting such a case. :shrug:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Kizzy said:
Kwillia is right, it is against the law to kill yourself or attempt to kill yourself. I think it is up to a year in jail and/or a $10,000 fine, of course you would have had to fail at the attempt to get that.

I’ve never known the State’s Attorney to even bother prosecuting such a case. :shrug:
Care to cite that section of the law? I can't recall ever seeing this law and if successful whom would they prosecute?

Assiting suicide is a crime here in Maryland, but I think for the person trying to do themself in a natural defense would be insanity thereby making prosecution virtually impossible with this iron-clad defense.

K

Kizzy

Ken King said:
Care to cite that section of the law? I can't recall ever seeing this law and if successful whom would they prosecute?

Assiting suicide is a crime here in Maryland, but I think for the person trying to do themself in a natural defense would be insanity thereby making prosecution virtually impossible with this iron-clad defense.

I don't have my criminal law digest at home. I’m almost positive (notice I said almost) I've read it 3-101 around there. It covers suicide "assisting" and "attempting" if I remember correctly.

At my old job, all "attempted suicides" and “suicides” were captured on a Criminal Investigation Report but never ever prosecuted.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Kizzy said:
I don't have my criminal law digest at home. I’m almost positive (notice I said almost) I've read it 3-101 around there. It covers suicide "assisting" and "attempting" if I remember correctly.

At my old job, all "attempted suicides" and “suicides” were captured on a Criminal Investigation Report but never ever prosecuted.
Around there? Yeah, that would be 3-102 (3-101 is the section definitions). I think it is an immediate circumstance to land you in the rubber room, but I don't see it indicated as a crime.

Ken King said:
Around there? Yeah, that would be 3-102 (3-101 is the section definitions). I think it is an immediate circumstance to land you in the rubber room, but I don't see it indicated as a crime.
Stop it, stop it, stop it! :tantrum

I didn't beckon you to argue against me... :tantrum

I know I remember that suicide is against the law in Maryland... it's one of those things that just sticks with you when you learn it...:banghead:

Ken King

PREMO Member
kwillia said:
Stop it, stop it, stop it! :tantrum

I didn't beckon you to argue against me... :tantrum

I know I remember that suicide is against the law in Maryland... it's one of those things that just sticks with you when you learn it...:banghead:
Help me find the law then. I can't find it under Maryland law or Federal law. I did find an article that states - "as of 1963, six states still considered attempted suicide a crime--North and South Dakota, Washington, New Jersey, Nevada, and Oklahoma."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
WHO GIVES A CRAP????

Do you mean to say that nobody thinks tasering a guy to keep him from committing suicide is funny EXCEPT ME???

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
What are the stat's on the families suing the insurance companies trying to collect on life insurance, if indeed the suicider (I made that up) had said insurance?

vraiblonde said:
WHO GIVES A CRAP????

Do you mean to say that nobody thinks tasering a guy to keep him from committing suicide is funny EXCEPT ME???
It didn't strike me as odd or funny... :shrug:

K

Kizzy

You are on your own Ken. :lol: I'm too lazy to look up jack and my computer locks up everytime I try to use the PDF viewer. Then again, maybe I'm wrong :shocking: wouldn't be the 1st time and I'm sure it isn't the last.

:razz:

Ken King

PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
WHO GIVES A CRAP????
Hey, they asked and I tried to respond. Loosen that knot in your hair. It might pull the wrinkles out of your face but it makes you b!tchy. :moon:

It's hilarious, like shooting a guy with a beanbag to keep him from jumping off a bridge. Why not just push him?