This Perfectly Sums Up What “Rights” Mean to Liberals

SG_Player1974

I don't understand how reimagining a work of fiction and changing the characters is racism or discrimination? Film makers do it all the time. Ralph Kramden is primarily blue collar, working class, lower income - his ethnicity is immaterial.

Am I misunderstanding your point?

Here is a hint.... look closely.

STANDARD STANDARD :howdy:

BTW... I really do have to side with Hijinx on this one ONLY in the manner that there will be no rational discussion on race or racism here. Just the usual bickering, punctuation Nazis, and finger pointing.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Interesting to note who got hyper defensive about my post. So good - you people know who you are. That's a first step.

PsyOps

Pixelated
We make Vrai ashamed.

I think we should all be ashamed when we turn our philosophical beliefs into a means to say “you’re not welcome here because of what you are” or “to serve you would mean I condone your behavior”. We should all be ashamed when facts show there was nothing racial about a white cop shooting a black man – when even the race-hustler-in-chief said there was nothing there – and still ‘hands up’ resumed, riots continued and no one cares about the truth.

Everyone seems to only be concerned about their own philosophical beliefs and letting that dictate how you treat others. Rather than becoming more civilized, we prove more and more we are less civilized. There is nothing Christian about refusing to serve someone simply because they are gay. There is nothing tolerant about demanding tolerance and social justice when those demands are in conflict with the facts.

But you know what? We are supposed to live in a free society where even doing things that are horrendously stupid, and even bigoted, are allowed. In today’s world of instant communications, it shouldn’t take long for the word to get around. Do we want a free society or do we want government manage stupidity?

SG_Player1974

I think we should all be ashamed when we turn our philosophical beliefs into a means to say “you’re not welcome here because of what you are” or “to serve you would mean I condone your behavior”. We should all be ashamed when facts show there was nothing racial about a white cop shooting a black man – when even the race-hustler-in-chief said there was nothing there – and still ‘hands up’ resumed, riots continued and no one cares about the truth.

Everyone seems to only be concerned about their own philosophical beliefs and letting that dictate how you treat others. Rather than becoming more civilized, we prove more and more we are less civilized. There is nothing Christian about refusing to serve someone simply because they are gay. There is nothing tolerant about demanding tolerance and social justice when those demands are in conflict with the facts.

But you know what? We are supposed to live in a free society where even doing things that are horrendously stupid, and even bigoted, are allowed. In today’s world of instant communications, it shouldn’t take long for the word to get around. Do we want a free society or do we want government manage stupidity?

Now THIS ^^^^^^^^

Is the post of the thread! :buddies:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Rather than becoming more civilized, we prove more and more we are less civilized.

I completely agree - with your whole post, most of it anyway.

However: why does what someone else does dictate what you/I/anyone else does? "Hands up, don't shoot" has nothing to do with me. It's just another stupid human trick by stupid humans - move along, nothing to see here. You say "no one cares about the truth," but clearly there are a large number of people who care about the truth because it's common knowledge at this point that the whole "he had his hands up" was a lie. So...what? Will you just not rest until EVERYONE!! in the whole world gets on a public venue and admits that that guy lied to the media and the cops?

How many windmills do you really want to tilt at?

And how will it affect you personally if the government says that all businesses have to service gays, blacks, Muslims, etc? On one hand, I think people should be able to refuse service for whatever reason they please; on the other hand, most of those reasons are stupid and it doesn't hurt my feelings for those aholes to get slapped around.

TLDR: Like your mama told you when you were a little kid, just because they do it doesn't mean you should. As long as YOU do the right and moral thing, that's all that matters.

SamSpade

I don't understand how reimagining a work of fiction and changing the characters is racism or discrimination? Film makers do it all the time. Ralph Kramden is primarily blue collar, working class, lower income - his ethnicity is immaterial.

Am I misunderstanding your point?

I usually think it's just *weird*. Usually, updating a classic tends to be terrible, and most remakes I've seen in the last thirty years have been much worse than the original, and that's even if the ORIGINAL was bad.

My middle daughter was browsing on Netflix and was excited to see "Annie" listed on there, and wanted to watch it (as you know, my daughter is African-American). She asked me why "Annie" was *WHITE*. She had never seen the original movie, she only knew about the remake. I just told her Annie was white, because the girl in the 20's comic strip was a curly haired redhead and white. She then asked why she was "brown" in the new one (she prefers brown over black). I told her I honestly had no idea.

I don't understand why it is relevant to "update" anything - I've certainly seen my share of war flicks where the history was "updated" to make Americans the heroes instead of one of our allies. I remember reading that "21" was a movie based on real team from MIT - who were mostly *Asian* - but played in the movie by white actors. Years ago, I remember when ST:Voyager hit the screen, and we were introduced to our first black *Vulcan* (who are supposed to have slightly *green* skin, BTW). I never understood why a typically green-skinned alien race was updated with an African appearance in every respect except for the ears.

I try to understand how my children must feel - in one single day we might be in an environment where everyone looks like me - and another, where most people look like them. At their age, they don't seem to care, and I'm glad. But I don't get the point of updating material unless it makes it better.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I completely agree - with your whole post, most of it anyway.

However: why does what someone else does dictate what you/I/anyone else does? "Hands up, don't shoot" has nothing to do with me. It's just another stupid human trick by stupid humans - move along, nothing to see here. You say "no one cares about the truth," but clearly there are a large number of people who care about the truth because it's common knowledge at this point that the whole "he had his hands up" was a lie. So...what? Will you just not rest until EVERYONE!! in the whole world gets on a public venue and admits that that guy lied to the media and the cops?

And how will it affect you personally if the government says that all businesses have to service gays, blacks, Muslims, etc? On one hand, I think people should be able to refuse service for whatever reason they please; on the other hand, most of those reasons are stupid and it doesn't hurt my feelings for those aholes to get slapped around.

TLDR: Like your mama told you when you were a little kid, just because they do it doesn't mean you should. As long as YOU do the right and moral thing, that's all that matters.

The whole ‘hands up, don’t shoot’ is rooted in a lie. It is a demand for justice where justice has already answered to it. This whole Ferguson thing has had a cascading-effect nearly everywhere. An event that should have stayed local, went all the way to the DOJ. This potentially affects all of us; where the reach of government knows no limits. A complete disinterest in the truth; how does this not affect us all?

My expectations in this will never be met. I do live in the real world, contrary to what you may believe. So, I don't walk around mulling over it while kicking rocks around. I’m providing a narrative to what is happening in too many sects in our society, going all the way up to the Whitehouse – a deliberate rejection of the truth; a purposeful effort to deceive Americans on nearly everything. And people have died as a result of these lies.

But let’s go where you went… You popped in here talking about the nastiness of people. Doesn’t Ferguson kind of epitomize your point? How a matter with the law, a kid breaking the law and trying to –presumably – kill a cop, became a national cry for social justice? It wasn’t enough to just protest, they had to tear the city apart. And then when told they are wrong about the ‘hands up’ deal, they continued on with their protests and violence. TWO MORE COPS WERE SHOT as a result! All of this is in direct support of your point. It answers to the nastiness and lack of concern for the truth. How does a bakery refusing to bake a cake to a gay couple affect me?

You were the one that brought the concern for doing the right thing, and the ugliness of people into this discussion. I was not only supporting that, but taking it a step further by stating not only are we getting uglier with these things, we are demanding government step in and fix our ugliness.

Last edited:

SamSpade

On one hand, I think people should be able to refuse service for whatever reason they please; on the other hand, most of those reasons are stupid and it doesn't hurt my feelings for those aholes to get slapped around.

I HAVE had situations where my religious beliefs - when they were considerably stronger than they are now - DID get me in hot water, such as when the boss insisted on a Sunday morning mandatory meeting - and I told him I could not attend. Stuff like that happened often enough to be an inconvenience. I had roommates who got notes on their desk that amounted to "hate mail" because they didn't like their religion.

I guess it sometimes matters to me, because even if I don't agree with it, there will come a day when it's MY ox that gets gored. I suppose if someone thinks it is against their belief to participate in the wedding of two gay persons, they shouldn't be compelled to do so - they should just LOSE their business.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Psy, you argue just to argue and now I'm at the point where I have no idea what you're talking about. It sounds like you're arguing with me that you agree with me, and just want to find a point of contention so you can argue. Or maybe you absolutely disagree with everything I've posted - I can't tell.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I suppose if someone thinks it is against their belief to participate in the wedding of two gay persons, they shouldn't be compelled to do so - they should just LOSE their business.

I completely agree that it's stupid for these activists to target a business, and it's disturbing that said business would start receiving death threats and such. I've said that any number of times on here. But just because *they* are wrong doesn't mean the business is morally right to refuse service. They can both be wrong, and that is frequently the case. We can quibble about which is *more* wrong, but wrong is still wrong.

And what's REALLY wrong is broad-brushing all black people because of the handful in Ferguson. Or broad-brushing all gays because of the wedding cake bitchers. I certainly don't want to be stereotyped simply because I share a skin color and sexual preference with some of the people on here, and I definitely don't want to be stereotyped based on the crazy militant atheists. Therefore I try not to do it to others, and that is all I'm saying.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Psy, you argue just to argue and now I'm at the point where I have no idea what you're talking about. It sounds like you're arguing with me that you agree with me, and just want to find a point of contention so you can argue. Or maybe you absolutely disagree with everything I've posted - I can't tell.

I’m not arguing with you, I am agreeing with you. I was only trying to expound on what your original point was in post #3. And I think some of my other posts should reflect that. That’s all.

This is in the political section. So I am putting things in the context of how they become political. What are folks, in their discontent and being offended, demanding government do. THAT’S where I become MOST concerned.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
My question is for GURPS.

Isn't the notion that a Christian business owner can discriminate against gays for religious reasons a "special right"?

freedom to associate or not associate
..... I am sure the black baker is loving having to make that cake for the Grand Wizard, after loosing her court case

Hank

my war
freedom to associate or not associate
..... I am sure the black baker is loving having to make that cake for the Grand Wizard, after loosing her court case

l-o-s-i-n-g

You do know that story was satire, correct? You big dummy!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
And, back in the 1950s, blacks weren't regular human beings either.

20 years from now, y'all are going to look ignorant. Like, really ignorant.

Yep, 20 years from now when we elect our first transsexual, pedophile president, we'll all look VERY ignorant.

SG_Player1974

...why does what someone else does dictate what you/I/anyone else does? "Hands up, don't shoot" has nothing to do with me. It's just another stupid human trick by stupid humans - move along, nothing to see here.

Sounds like this should be written in a greeting card and sent to the widows of the two NYPD officers that were assassinated due to Ferguson backlash... :coffee: