This Perfectly Sums Up What “Rights” Mean to Liberals

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I’m not arguing with you, I am agreeing with you. I was only trying to expound on what your original point was in post #3. And I think some of my other posts should reflect that. That’s all.

This is in the political section. So I am putting things in the context of how they become political. What are folks, in their discontent and being offended, demanding government do. THAT’S where I become MOST concerned.

Thank you for clarifying - it seemed like we were in agreement, and then it seemed like we weren't. :jameo:

If people wouldn't be aholes - if they would police their own - government wouldn't have to get involved.

BOP

And, back in the 1950s, blacks weren't regular human beings either.

20 years from now, y'all are going to look ignorant. Like, really ignorant.

Even back in the '50s, and earlier, the kind of savage racism was not widespread. Back then, blacks simply had no money, and therefore, no one wanted to serve them. This may come as a surprise to you, young Andy, but a lot of white people were in the same boat. You know who was the most ardently racist in this country? People whose jobs were open to competition from blacks who would work at a lower wage. Hmmm...where have we heard that before?

Amused_despair

Even back in the '50s, and earlier, the kind of savage racism was not widespread. Back then, blacks simply had no money, and therefore, no one wanted to serve them. This may come as a surprise to you, young Andy, but a lot of white people were in the same boat. You know who was the most ardently racist in this country? People whose jobs were open to competition from blacks who would work at a lower wage. Hmmm...where have we heard that before?

Ardent racism was not widespread? Treated as a second class citizen, not able to eat at the same lunch counter, drink from the same water fountain, but not ardent? OK. How about the inventor of the process of getting plasma from human blood, which saved countless lives, dying because he was black and had to be taken to a hospital that served his kind? Not ardent? OK. Lets go back to earlier in the 20th century than the 1950's, as you suggested. Rosewood. A whole town wiped out, gone. But that is in the past, just like lynching, right? Except the last recorded lynching in America happened in the 1980's. Not the 1880's, the 1980's. I am scared to find out what you actually consider an example of ardent racism, was the Holocaust an example of ardent racism? The subjugation of the Irish by the British empire? The subjugation of Central and South America by the Spanish and Portuguese? What are the limits that qualify for "ardent"?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
From the OP's link;

Rights do not come from the Constitution or government or man. They do not come from collective agreement or compromise. You are born with God-given rights, as written in stated the Declaration of Independence — the organic law of the United States. And rights are the basis for all future laws. No one can take them away.

When a piece starts off completely wrong, it's never a good sign especially when it is a piece holding that the OTHER guys have it wrong.

The D of I states that we 'hold' these truths to be self evident. That means that is what we BELIEVE and it's not subject to debate or science or modification. These are the basic truths of life that we ascribe to. By definition, by declaring our independence, we are holding as self evident that not everyone believes that or there'd be no need to declare independence. Furthermore, to make it absolutely clear that we're talking about beliefs and not things that just exist, we state that governments are instituted to secure these blessings and that this power is to be from the consent, thus making it just, of the governed; agree upon rules. And that when any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, securing the blessings, the self evident truths we state we believe in, then it is the right of the people to fix it or end it.

If no one could take them away, there'd be no need for a declaration, a Constitution nor a government.

Young conservatives getting off on the wrong foot.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
We watched "42" last night, about Jackie Robinson breaking into the majors. Great movie, btw. It's difficult to see the ignorance and downright nasty way people treat each other. What's even worse is to realize that nothing has really changed. There are people right on this forum, from the way they talk, who would absolutely forbid a black person or a gay person from using a public facility or socializing with them in any capacity. If they thought they could get away with it and if someone else would start, they would absolutely be screaming filthy names and horrible things at blacks and gays and Muslims and anyone else who isn't "them". How we can tell is that they do it on a lesser scale right here in the open on a public forum where they're anonymous for the most part but not really. You see them comment on internet stories all the time.

Quite simply, I hate those people and wish they'd die. Like, really die. Painfully. And I want to watch.

So if non-whites, non-heteros, and non-Christians are a little touchy, I can totally see why they would be. White hetero Christians outnumber them - all of them - so they are one rallying cry away from being, if not lynched then refused service and burnt out of their homes.

And honestly I hate the bigots and racists on here because they've made this a part of my life, where it never was before. No black person or Muslim person or gay person has ever brought bigotry home to me - just you all. You make me ashamed.

What makes it worse is how it defames the faith. The Christ I was taught fed people, healed them, sat with lepers. We were taught things like 'let him who is without sin cast the first stone'. The Christ I was taught would bake cakes for gay people or black or white or whatever. The Jesus who suffered for our sins, was crucified and died on the gross and was risen again, man, is that what it was all for, some that folks could deny one another over the most trivial of matters?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Refusing to sell a cake to someone does not harm that person.

How on earth can you say that?

In the same context, it does one no harm to make them sit in the back of the bus, to make them use the hose instead of the water fountain, to go to the next diner or hotel. Those are mere inconveniences, yes? Can you imagine walking into a bakery with your daughter, all excited about her wedding, to pick out a cake, her cake, for her special day and then be told "Sorry, pal. We don't bake cakes for straight weddings."

I object to things like affirmative action just as I'd object to being told 'we don't bake straight cakes' or being told to use a different fountain or bathroom hotel. Good lord, by the same token, where is the harm in someone who BAKES CAKES for a living BAKING a cake??? If you claim a religious RIGHT to not bake a cake based on what SOMEONE else is symbolically using it for, SYMBOLICALLY, what it represents to THEM, you would certainly agree that a doctor should not have to work on a person who, in their mind, represents sin, yes? Or firemen refusing to fight fires at 'gay' houses?

The growth of Islam, submission, is a threat to us ALL, meaning anyone who believes in the declaration of independence and the US Constitution, individual liberty, freedom, justice AND responsibility, not to mention religious freedom. This sort of social division does nothing but weaken us to their benefit. Ted Cruz said these people were 'brave' for refusing to bake a cake. I say they'd have been brave had they, cheerfully, conducted their chosen business. That would have been in keeping with the faith I was taught.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Everyone seems to only be concerned about their own philosophical beliefs and letting that dictate how you treat others. ?

And, again, the faith, Christianity told us to love one another, to turn the other cheek. That has been refined to 'love the sinner, not the sin' and that's fine, too but there is NO way I can see Christ refusing to bake a cake for gay people or that he intended as such. I CAN see him attending the gay wedding.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is in the political section. So I am putting things in the context of how they become political. What are folks, in their discontent and being offended, demanding government do. THAT’S where I become MOST concerned.

I think there is where conservatives sometimes miss the mark. We like our Declaration of Independence and our Constitution and use them as the basis for limited government, properly so. However, we tend to forget the part about 'governments are instituted to secure these blessings'. We'd have little trouble agreeing where our government goes too far. Yet, wouldn't we agree that there are, thus, times when it doesn't go far enough? I would argue that there is no difference in saying 'we don't serve gays' and 'no blacks/Irish" allowed. And again, I would argue that business has a responsibility to the community that goes above the rights of the individual. The business owner doesn't have to let gays or blacks or whites in his home and bake them a cake. As a business, I see it otherwise and I certainly don't see it as a violation of their first amendment rights to bake a cake for a gay wedding.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Not true. When I was a little kid there was a sign on Rt 1, major road, had a sign in, ironically, Savage that said "###### don't let the sun set on you'. It was there until the late 60's/early 70's I am told. No, you may say 'it was just a sign' but I don't think you'd think the same thing if it said 'Honky don't let the sun set on you'.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Can you imagine walking into a bakery with your daughter, all excited about her wedding, to pick out a cake, her cake, for her special day and then be told "Sorry, pal. We don't bake cakes for straight weddings."

Bah, they'd just laugh and go to another bakery. Which is what these gay activists should do, except that they're trying to rouse the rabble and make a political/social statement. How many Christian bakers have they tried to "out" who said, "Sure, we'll make your cake, no problem"? I'm sure there have been many, but we're not going to hear about those.

PsyOps

Pixelated
And, again, the faith, Christianity told us to love one another, to turn the other cheek. That has been refined to 'love the sinner, not the sin' and that's fine, too but there is NO way I can see Christ refusing to bake a cake for gay people or that he intended as such. I CAN see him attending the gay wedding.

And of course you either didn't read, or just chose to omit:

There is nothing Christian about refusing to serve someone simply because they are gay.

Hijinx

Bah, they'd just laugh and go to another bakery. Which is what these gay activists should do, except that they're trying to rouse the rabble and make a political/social statement. How many Christian bakers have they tried to "out" who said, "Sure, we'll make your cake, no problem"? I'm sure there have been many, but we're not going to hear about those.

Agreed. In the first place I would be afraid to eat a cake I forced someone to bake. I wouldn't want pictures I forced someone to take.
This whole set up is BS. Someone doesn't want to bake your cake go somewhere else.

PsyOps

Pixelated
How on earth can you say that?

In the same context, it does one no harm to make them sit in the back of the bus, to make them use the hose instead of the water fountain, to go to the next diner or hotel. Those are mere inconveniences, yes?

I feel I have to make it clear that I DO NOT agree with discrimination. I think it shows poor character and, especially in the vein of exercising one’s Christianity, it reflects poorly on their understanding of their faith.

We have to distinguish between institutionalized discrimination and individual discrimination. America of pre-Civil Rights Act was an institutionalized discrimination where it was legal to not only force blacks into a place of subservience, but it was expected. It was legal for a white person to inflict violence on blacks if they crossed that line.

We DO NOT have that today. There are no separate water fountains for gays, no back of the bus, no less pay for gays… There is no institutionalized discrimination.

That’s how I can say that. But, as with all of these conversations… I am interested in how the constitution answers to these things. First do we have freedom of choice? Second, are Christian business owners allowed to assert 1st amendment protections when refusing to serve people? Are gays free to go to a different baker? Or are we going to take this up with government and have them force us to behave?

Wow! I have never heard that explanation for why so many businesses didn't allow blacks prior to civil rights legislation. Why weren't they allowed to vote?

SamSpade

I was just on another forum on the subject.

All these people want to do is just say, no, I am stepping back. I could make money off of this and throw my beliefs away, but my conscience says to step back.
If you want anything else, I'm fine with that - don't ask me to participate in something I believe is wrong. Go ahead and do it, I don't mind. You're free to do so and I
won't do a thing. Just don't ask me to be a part of it.

They are not Westboro; they're not picketing outside the wedding. They're not sending hatemail or hurting anyone. They just don't want to be a part of it, and they're willing to lose business over it. It is a PASSIVE thing. They are not actively persecuting anyone, and if you compel them, they may choose to go to jail over it.

And now someone says they must be COMPELLED to be a part of it. Even if you don't believe what they believe, where does freedom of religion actually START?

PsyOps

Pixelated
Is that an individual right or no? I would argue there is, or should be, a clear difference between the Constitutional rights of the individual and a business.

So you want laws written that force businesses, that are run by Christians, to serve people they may stand against the practice of their religion? This is one place people (even if they are running a business) are not allowed to fully exercise their 1st amendment rights?