Those lovable pits.....

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Is my dog a Pit Bull? The shelter said he was a cattle dog but I've been told they try to not lable them bully breeds so they can get adopted.

Maybe I should start a poll!

Attachments

• Dog 1.JPG
    Dog 1.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Dog.JPG
    Dog.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 80

TCROW

The ratio of car accidents to drivers in St. Mary's is far greater than pit bull attacks to number of that breed. Should we ban all driving in our county?

That is the key question - what the hell do these people expect to happen? Involve the government to institute a proscription on Pit Bulls (not that “Pit Bill” is a breed anyway)?

If not a government answer then what? Voluntary proscriptions? That’s what we have now. There are communities and apartment buildings that ban these types of dogs. Perhaps that’s an insurance regulation, but it’s still voluntary - you can negotiate that clause out of your coverage. Sure, it will cost more, but the key is that is is a voluntary action.

There are many families with kids who won’t get these types of dogs - a voluntary action.

So let’s have it authoritarian gatekeepers — what are you hoping to have happen here?

luvmygdaughters

When I got Captn. Morgan, her previous owner advised she was GS and Boxer mixed. The vet she took her too confirmed this. But, if you look at the pictures of her, somebody may mistake her for a pit. Since there is no "Pit Bull" breed, I'm not sure how you could ban them. You would have to ban Bulldogs, American Staffordshire Terriers, the Bull Terriers and the Bull Mastiffs.

Attachments

• The Captain!.jpg
    The Captain!.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Shelbs and Capt. Morgan...Buddies.jpg
    Shelbs and Capt. Morgan...Buddies.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 111

Auntie Biache'

When I got Captn. Morgan, her previous owner advised she was GS and Boxer mixed. The vet she took her too confirmed this. But, if you look at the pictures of her, somebody may mistake her for a pit. Since there is no "Pit Bull" breed, I'm not sure how you could ban them. You would have to ban Bulldogs, American Staffordshire Terriers, the Bull Terriers and the Bull Mastiffs.
She doesn't look like a bully dog to me. Her jaw isn't wide enough.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
That is the key question - what the hell do these people expect to happen? Involve the government to institute a proscription on Pit Bulls (not that “Pit Bill” is a breed anyway)?

If not a government answer then what? Voluntary proscriptions? That’s what we have now. There are communities and apartment buildings that ban these types of dogs. Perhaps that’s an insurance regulation, but it’s still voluntary - you can negotiate that clause out of your coverage. Sure, it will cost more, but the key is that is is a voluntary action.

There are many families with kids who won’t get these types of dogs - a voluntary action.

So let’s have it authoritarian gatekeepers — what are you hoping to have happen here?
I like mine and Black Dog's solution. If they come on your property shoot them. I believe the fine in St. Mary's county is $300.00 for killing someones dog on your property. Well worth it and the cost of one shell.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I like mine and Black Dog's solution. If they come on your property shoot them. I believe the fine in St. Mary's county is $300.00 for killing someones dog on your property. Well worth it and the cost of one shell.
How much time/fines did that guy get for killing his neighbors dog down in Ridge a couple of years ago?

TCROW

I am fine with that. Everyone has a right to defend themselves when presented with danger.

I am just wondering what the broader wish here is, since not everyone keeps guns and even if they do, some people wouldn’t be able to shoot a dog, regardless of the circumstances.

Why is there even a fine for that? Is there a fine if you shoot a burglar?

PeoplesElbow

The ratio of car accidents to drivers in St. Mary's is far greater than pit bull attacks to number of that breed. Should we ban all driving in our county?
There are certain (breeds) of cars that are considered not road safe and therefore are not allowed on the roads....bad argument.

mitzi

I am just wondering what the broader wish here is, since not everyone keeps guns and even if they do, some people wouldn’t be able to shoot a dog, regardless of the circumstances.

During my experience, if I'd had a gun and a clear shot I would have no doubt gladly shot them. If he was still hanging on to my dog as I was trying to pull him in the door, I wouldn't have hesitated to hit him in the face with the axe I had. Funny thing was, when I got mine in the door and started screaming "go" at the pits, they just looked at me and ran away. You never know how you'll react in something like this. I did know not to go outside and stay in the doorway.

TCROW

There are certain (breeds) of cars that are considered not road safe and therefore are not allowed on the roads....bad argument.

I think it is a good argument because government deems cars safe or unsafe for road use. I believe that some of these folks are asking the government to decide which breeds are bully breeds vs non-bully breeds. I think that is MG’s point here. Perhaps not his, but certainly mine.

PeoplesElbow

I think it is a good argument because government deems cars safe or unsafe for road use. I believe that some of these folks are asking the government to decide which breeds are bully breeds vs non-bully breeds. I think that is MG’s point here. Perhaps not his, but certainly mine.
His question was "Should we ban all driving in our county? " Not should we ban the cars that cause the most accidents.