TODAY's RANT: The difference between UPS and USPS

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Where's War with his USPS recordings and long list of complaints :lol: :wink:

side note: I started following UPSdogs on Facebook and it's just about the only reason I log on to facebook now - highlight of my day :dance:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

did you do this for the Prior Carrier :shrug: or only because she is cute :whistle: I think I know the answer, I am just :oldman:

I actually did it because she is by far the absolute best mail deliverer I've ever had. The prior carrier never showed this level of service. Though cute, her service was the only awarding factor.

party301

i'll think of one.....
I hate this service, and I thought it was called SurePost. but anyway, my problem with it is that the post office doesn't deliver to our house. So I am paying for something to be shipped to my door that I in turn have to drive to the post office to pick up. Assuming of course that I ever get any notification from our local post office that they even have a package for me. This method can easily add a week plus to the delivery time of any item. I would like to shoot whomever decided it would be a good idea.

I have never been a postal service basher because, overall, I think they have done a great job over the years; UPS and FedEx ain't going to deliver a letter across the USA for 50-cents. But, this one issue really makes me shake my head.

UPS has a service called Mail Innovations to save shippers some money. They'll take it to the closest post office, then the post office takes it the final 5 yards. Typically adds another day to the delivery time (2 if UPS gives it USPS on Saturday). So, UPS is great; if they have another package coming to your house the same day that they have a Mail Innovations package going to the local post office, they'll deliver both to the house so you get the one package a day early. Probably makes financial sense for them too since they don't have to share the revenue with the post office.

So, now we have USPS. First of all, my mail box is 800 feet from the house. So, when there is a package that won't fit, they'll bring it to the house and leave it on the porch (which is what UPS does with every delivery). The thing that makes me crazy is that they'll only bring that package back, she puts the other mail in the mailbox. I'm like, if you're driving all the way back here, why not just bring it all? Today I had 2 packages. You guessed it, one fit in the box and the other was delivered to the porch.

It's certainly not the end of the world, but from a customer satisfaction standpoint, just doesn't make any sense. Is this some silly postal regulation that says if it fits in the mailbox, it has to go in the mailbox, or is the carrier just not thinking?

P.S. In past years, my mail carrier found a nice $50 cash Christmas card in the outgoing mail.

warneckutz

Where's War with his USPS recordings and long list of complaints :lol: :wink:

side note: I started following UPSdogs on Facebook and it's just about the only reason I log on to facebook now - highlight of my day :dance:

#### that lazy, fat ass USPS lady...

UPS and FedEx are top-notch.

black dog

Free America
UPS and USPS are Union members
Fed Ex is not

Big difference

There is quite a few Fed ex terminals that are Union, it's difficult but they have done it.

As it stands, FedEx, which started as an air transport company but has since expanded to ground service, falls under the Railway Labor Act (RLA), while UPS, which started as a ground service, falls under the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA). In practice, that makes it very hard for FedEx workers to unionize. Meyerson explains:

Drivers at UPS, FedEx’s main rival, and at other, smaller delivery companies can and have voted to form their own Teamster locals in myriad cities across the land, as the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) permits. Under the RLA, however, the rules for forming unions are very different: The entire nationwide workforce must vote in a single election, and the union must obtain a majority not just of the workers voting but of voters and non-voters combined. (If a comparable rule held for presidential elections, requiring the winner to obtain a majority of the adult population of the United States, it’s not clear that this nation would have had a president since—well, ever.)

It seems obvious that two companies that directly compete in the same business should be governed by the same labor rules. That’s why the House passed a bill in March that would bring FedEx under the NLRA. But Sen. Lamar Alexander, a Republican who represents Tennessee, the home state of FedEx CEO and GOP donor Fred Smith, has pledged to kill the measure. And that gets us to what is perhaps the most interesting part of this story: the battle on Capitol Hill between FedEx lobbyists on one side and the Teamsters and UPS lobbyists on the other. This story gets at the heart of how Washington really works. Most legislative battles aren’t fought between disinterested parties looking for a common-sense solution—they’re fought between powerful interest groups with money at stake. FedEx vs. UPS + the Teamsters is just another variation of Wall Street vs. Big Hollywood.

Baker12

"quite a few"?

not really. Yes there might be several Teamsters locals in Fed Ex, but Fed Ex is one of the most anti-union companies in the country.

black dog

Free America
UPS and USPS are Union members
Fed Ex is not

Big difference

"quite a few"?

not really. Yes there might be several Teamsters locals in Fed Ex, but Fed Ex is one of the most anti-union companies in the country.

It proves you're wrong,. And if they get reclassified, even more terminals will vote Union.

If you want to truly see a non union business look no farther than Walmart and Sam's Club...

Baker12

I know what non Union looks like. Walmart and FedEx are 2 huge examples. As to proving me wrong, ha, there might be a unionized group in Charlotte of 20 employees, but that doesn't make Fed Ex a Union shop.

I speak from first hand experience.

You googled this and pasted an article from Mother Jones, wow, you are quite an expert. Google is not a replacement for actual knowledge

black dog

Free America
I know what non Union looks like. Walmart and FedEx are 2 huge examples. As to proving me wrong, ha, there might be a unionized group in Charlotte of 20 employees, but that doesn't make Fed Ex a Union shop.

I speak from first hand experience.

You googled this and pasted an article from Mother Jones, wow, you are quite an expert. Google is not a replacement for actual knowledge

So how was a career on Walmarts loading docks? Did you ever get that certificate to operate a walkie?

Baker12

considering I work for an investment firm, I might have a little more of a lead on you and your wonderful situation.

Let me guess, you are probably divorced for one

Baker12

2.Probably around 60 years old and sitting at a computer in your underwear

3. Didn't amount to a whole lot in life, bounced around jobs and locations.

I think I'm pretty much summing up your pathetic self

black dog

Free America
considering I work for an investment firm, I might have a little more of a lead on you and your wonderful situation.

Let me guess, you are probably divorced for one

Self employed the last 12 years or so.. I do oke dokie....
You didn't answer, did you get that walkie certificate?

Baker12

self-employed= Cant find a job/is unemployable

You didn't dispute the other facts, so around 60, divorced, doesn't have a job...what a winner you are

black dog

Free America
Self employed the last 12 years or so.Twenty plus years with United Technology along with their matching 401 plan, plus my union pension. I do oke dokie....
You didn't answer, did you get that walkie certificate?

Edit,,,, naaaaaaa.. Worked my whole life... Sitting in Johns Diner in the town I live in having breakfast Thank you..

20180212_102605.jpg

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That’s why the House passed a bill in March that would bring FedEx under the NLRA. But Sen. Lamar Alexander, a Republican who represents Tennessee, the home state of FedEx CEO and GOP donor Fred Smith, has pledged to kill the measure.

The Teamsters / UPS have been trying that for yrs now .....