TODAY's RANT: The difference between UPS and USPS

nobody really

I need a nap
I don't understand why the post office delivers unwanted junk mail. WHY WHY WHY? I check my box once a week. its all junk. Valupak coupons, another announcement for a furniture store going out of business.....how much money is wasted delivering this stuff??? It goes straight to the trash. I pay all my bills on line. there is nothing I need delivered from the USPS. But yet....if I don't empty my mailbox, they cram the #### in there and leave notes on my door that my mailbox is full. Ok. well, I don't want the #### that is in there, so why can't the people who put the #### there take it out?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I don't understand why the post office delivers unwanted junk mail. WHY WHY WHY? ...how much money is wasted delivering this stuff??? It goes straight to the trash.

It's the opposite of what you apparently think; the junk mail is one of the key revenue sources for USPS.

Whatever it is, the junk mail circuit is a large money maker for the United States Postal Service that reaps billions of dollars every year in profits from the “Pre-sorted First Class US Postage Paid” mail that piles thru the door of every American home day after day, year after year.

https://www.unpublishedarticles.com/usps-junk-mail/

warneckutz

I don't understand why the post office delivers unwanted junk mail. WHY WHY WHY? I check my box once a week. its all junk. Valupak coupons, another announcement for a furniture store going out of business.....how much money is wasted delivering this stuff??? It goes straight to the trash. I pay all my bills on line. there is nothing I need delivered from the USPS. But yet....if I don't empty my mailbox, they cram the #### in there and leave notes on my door that my mailbox is full. Ok. well, I don't want the #### that is in there, so why can't the people who put the #### there take it out?

I don't know if it really works but the companies that send the pre-paid envelopes - I was told you can cram them with as much as will fit and send them back - and they pay the postage fee.

nobody really

I need a nap
I don't know if it really works but the companies that send the pre-paid envelopes - I was told you can cram them with as much as will fit and send them back - and they pay the postage fee.

i don't get that kind of fun junk mail. otherwise I'd be doing that, cramming them full of cat and dog turds and sending them back.

the junk I get I can't have any fun with.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I have never been a postal service basher because, overall, I think they have done a great job over the years; UPS and FedEx ain't going to deliver a letter across the USA for 50-cents. But, this one issue really makes me shake my head.

UPS has a service called Mail Innovations to save shippers some money. They'll take it to the closest post office, then the post office takes it the final 5 yards. Typically adds another day to the delivery time (2 if UPS gives it USPS on Saturday). So, UPS is great; if they have another package coming to your house the same day that they have a Mail Innovations package going to the local post office, they'll deliver both to the house so you get the one package a day early. Probably makes financial sense for them too since they don't have to share the revenue with the post office.

So, now we have USPS. First of all, my mail box is 800 feet from the house. So, when there is a package that won't fit, they'll bring it to the house and leave it on the porch (which is what UPS does with every delivery). The thing that makes me crazy is that they'll only bring that package back, she puts the other mail in the mailbox. I'm like, if you're driving all the way back here, why not just bring it all? Today I had 2 packages. You guessed it, one fit in the box and the other was delivered to the porch.

It's certainly not the end of the world, but from a customer satisfaction standpoint, just doesn't make any sense. Is this some silly postal regulation that says if it fits in the mailbox, it has to go in the mailbox, or is the carrier just not thinking?

P.S. In past years, my mail carrier found a nice $50 cash Christmas card in the outgoing mail.

Yes, this isn't the end of the world. If this is how far you need to go to find something to complain about, then you should be thanking God that things are going so well. And that's a good thing.

I talked to the PO about stopping the junk. The PO can't, they are obligated to deliver any mail given to them. If you want the crap to stop, you have to contact the originator. There's an address or phone # on the junk mail somewhere.

But I have my doubts this would really work.