Tom Brady, Patriots get hammered

CrashTest

Poll numbers in. Of people polled who call themselves "avid" football fans, 69% say Brady is a cheater and support the punishment.

Lance Armstrong has someone to talk to now.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Brady Super bowl Ring

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 162

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Seems Brady bests the NFL, judge nullifies suspension, at least according to the AP.

The judge has reportedly vacated Mr. Brady's suspension.

I think the punishment would have been appropriate if they had enough evidence to be all but certain that he was involved, that he intentionally had the balls manipulated in violation of the rules in order to gain an advantage. However, my concern was - and is - that they didn't seem to be sure. How sure were they? I'm guessing the judge thinks they couldn't be sure enough.

So reports are coming in as to the reasons for the decision. They apparently include inadequate notice as to the possible punishment and inadequate access for Mr. Brady (or his representatives I would guess) to aspects of the investigation.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Somebody needs to talk Roethlisberger off of the ledge..

We had a chance.. we had a CHANCE!!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The judge has reportedly vacated Mr. Brady's suspension.

I think the punishment would have been appropriate if they had enough evidence to be all but certain that he was involved, that he intentionally had the balls manipulated in violation of the rules in order to gain an advantage. However, my concern was - and is - that they didn't seem to be sure. How sure were they? I'm guessing the judge thinks they couldn't be sure enough.

I am outraged! :lol:

There is no way, shape or form a SINGLE game is warranted for a league that can't even decide if knocking your woman out is two games, no games, stern talking to or a question for the Ouji board. Not a quarter, not a series, not a play.

For one thing, NO one thinks this ABSURDITY had anything to do with play ON the field. No one even noticed including the refs who touched the ball, several of them, EVERY play. For another, there is NO evidence of ANY wrongdoing and, at worst, Brady could very well have DEMANDED they lower the balls to the LOWEST legal PSI and then conditions having made the rest of the difference. Brady, appropriately, fought tooth and nail at ANY impugning of his character or sportsmanship as he KNEW he did NOTHING wrong. NOTHING.

This is a stunning example of how and why the great American tradition of challenging and questioning and fighting back against ANY authority is what this nation was founded on. King Roger backed himself into a corner and abused his power to try and attack others to get himself out. To save himself embarrassment he was willing to call others liars and cheaters and the league allowed him to do it.

The lesson here is that ALL authority, as a good, patriotic American SHOULD be challenged tooth and nail. It is unconscionable how small the NFL is in this matter. If a comedy was written along these lines NO ONE would accept it as remotely plausible.

The NFL should be stripped of it's monopoly status and sent packing to the dustbin of history as yet another example of how vulgar unchecked power can be. This is a stunning embarrassment yet, again, a GREAT lesson of how power should NEVER be trusted OR respected unless and until it can show IT is in the right, FIRST.

Great civics lesson here and very much worth learning, re-learning. Roger Goodell, with the full backing of the league, wanted innocent people to assume at least some guilt simply as a face saving exercise. It is fitting that a team named the Patriots said, from the owner on down...

#### YOU

My faith in America is, if not restored then, certainly has breath left.

:patriot:

Last edited:

#### YOU

:frown:

Larry - I agree with some of that, but I strongly disagree with other parts of it. I'm not interested enough to get into it right now though, so I'll have to return at another time to do so. :smile:

For the record though, I'm not much a fan of Mr. Goodell. At times I've been on the fence about him, but more and more I think he's on the wrong side of things. And I think what he did with the Redskins a couple of years ago was BS. I am, on the other hand, a Brady fan (and to a lesser extent a Patriot fan), so I'm more happy than unhappy about his suspension being thrown out.

Last edited:
But, wait, they are getting smaller..they just filed an appeal to the ruling.

When digging a hole isn't working, dig faster.

They surely think they have to in order to try to salvage some degree of authority over players going forward. The appeal isn't about being able to keep Mr. Brady's suspension in place, it's about the future and the future of the relationship between the league and teams and players.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
They surely think they have to in order to try to salvage some degree of authority over players going forward. The appeal isn't about being able to keep Mr. Brady's suspension in place, it's about the future and the future of the relationship between the league and teams and players.

If that is so then maybe their goals aren't what one might think they ought be. :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
:frown:

Larry - I agree with some of that, but I strongly disagree with other parts of it. I'm not interested enough to get into it right now though, so I'll have to return at another time to do so. :smile:

For the record though, I'm not much a fan of Mr. Goodell. At times I've been on the fence about him, but more and more I think he's on the wrong side of things. And I think what he did with the Redskins a couple of years ago was BS. I am, on the other hand, a Brady fan (and to a lesser extent a Patriot fan), so I'm more happy than unhappy about his suspension being thrown out.

That was not at you. It was at king roger!

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
So reports are coming in as to the reasons for the decision. They apparently include inadequate notice as to the possible punishment and inadequate access for Mr. Brady (or his representatives I would guess) to aspects of the investigation.

Gee, I would have figured that it would be common knowledge that if you cheat, you get in trouble. Maybe Tom was out that day of rookie orientation, or maybe Bellicheat gave that talk.