Geneva Convention relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War
Adopted on 12 August 1949 by the Diplomatic Conference for the Establishment of
International Conventions for the Protection of Victims of War, held in Geneva
from 21 April to 12 August, 1949
entry into force 21 October 1950
PART I
GENERAL PROVISIONS

Article 1

The High Contracting Parties undertake to respect and to ensure respect for the present Convention in all circumstances.

Article 2

In addition to the provisions which shall be implemented in peace time, the present Convention shall apply to all cases of declared war or of any other armed conflict which may arise between two or more of the High Contracting Parties, even if the state of war is not recognized by one of them.

We're the good guys, remember? So as just to clarify something, I am a former US Navy SERE instructor, who has a son serving in Afghanistan right now.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
That would be fine, dear, but we're not at war with people who follow the Geneva Convention. Considering what those Iraqi scumbags did to their own countrymen under Saddam Hussein, I say merely embarrassing them is too kind.

Then why did you get on my case when I suggested torture as self-defense? :confused:

Leftrudder

I'm not preaching. What I was trying to do is explain that we have stated in writing, that we will not abuse POWs or civilians that are detained while there is a conflict. The US is viewed as the bad guys in the Middle East. To NOT discipline people who have violated the agreed upon rules, only makes us look worse in the eyes of those folks.
I have no love for them, nor do Iwant to see our troops and/or civilians mutilated and put on display.
Bottom line: we're better than that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Tonio
Then why did you get on my case when I suggested torture as self-defense?
Because torture is NOT self-defense. If you think it is, please tell me why you feel that way.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Because torture is NOT self-defense. If you think it is, please tell me why you feel that way.

Because it shows the world that if anyone messes with us or tries to push us around like on 9/11 and in Fallujah, the consequences for them will be extremely painful.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Leftrudder
That's probably why they thumb their noses at us. Because they know that the minute one of them doesn't get the right amount of seasoning on his dinner, the lefties are going to scream bloody murder and start throwing themselves in front of bulldozers.

Plus that, I don't feel these POWs are being tortured. Someone made fun of their weenie. BFD. Someone wrote a bad word on them. Double BFD. They got stripped naked in front of strangers. BFD - if they weren't out there planting bombs and shooting, it would have never happened to them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Because it shows the world that if anyone messes with us or tries to push us around like on 9/11 and in Fallujah, the consequences for them will be extremely painful.
And you think that would deter them? :confused:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
And you think that would deter them? :confused:

I don't know. I just know that when we have people pushing us around who aren't afraid of death, we should be prepared to do ANYTHING to protect our citizens.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't know. I just know that when we have people pushing us around who aren't afraid of death, we should be prepared to do ANYTHING to protect our citizens.
Well, you gotta catch 'em first. Then simply give them lead poisoning so they'll never cause a problem again.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Well, you gotta catch 'em first. Then simply give them lead poisoning so they'll never cause a problem again.

Ever had ants in your house? No matter how many you kill, they keep coming back. That's what terrorists seem like to me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ever had ants in your house? No matter how many you kill, they keep coming back. That's what terrorists seem like to me.
Good analogy! And do you think if you held one of the ants down and burnt it with a lit cigarette, it would send a message to the other ants?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Are these Iraqi soldiers or simply criminals? I seem to recall that their military disbanded shortly after the "Shock and Awe" campaign and certainly no longer existed after Saddam was caught. They don’t act like soldiers nor do those that drag dead bodies through the streets and mutilate them with cameras rolling comply with the Convention. They don’t carry identification papers indicating that they are soldiers nor do they wear a uniform or in any way indicate that they are soldiers. At best they are belligerents/criminals that have banded together in terrorist cells. I don’t think the Conventions were meant for them and they should get what they have given.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Ken King
I don’t think the Conventions were meant for them and they should get what they have given.
:yikes: That surprises me, coming from you. I figured you'd get on and talk law and "innocent until proven guilty". Serious - that's not meant to be snippy with you, I really am surprised.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Good analogy! And do you think if you held one of the ants down and burnt it with a lit cigarette, it would send a message to the other ants?

So killing the terrorists doesn't stop terrorism, and torturing them doesn't stop it, either. So what do we do?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
:yikes: That surprises me, coming from you. I figured you'd get on and talk law and "innocent until proven guilty". Serious - that's not meant to be snippy with you, I really am surprised.
I don't think these guys are soldiers in any stretch of the word, so the legal requirements of the Convention would not apply to them, in my mind. We've been the nice guy too long and that is why we are in the mess we are today (besides the do nothing era of the 90s).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So killing the terrorists doesn't stop terrorism, and torturing them doesn't stop it, either. So what do we do?
Killing the terrorists does indeed stop terrorism. At least from that particular terrorist. Unfortunately, we kill a couple then turn around and send food and medicine to the rest of them. Then they get mad because they're taking welfare from the Great Satan.

I posted a link somewhere that reports a big reduction in terrorist acts since Bush laid the smack down on Afghanistan and Iraq. So obviously it works.

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
Originally posted by Leftrudder
I'm not preaching. What I was trying to do is explain that we have stated in writing, that we will not abuse POWs or civilians that are detained while there is a conflict. The US is viewed as the bad guys in the Middle East. To NOT discipline people who have violated the agreed upon rules, only makes us look worse in the eyes of those folks.
I have no love for them, nor do Iwant to see our troops and/or civilians mutilated and put on display.

:yeahthat:

war in any form is bad, but we must be better than our enemies. as a nation, we have agreed to the terms of the Geneva Convention and accordingly must follow its rules, regardless of the other nation's status.

Geneva Convention relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War, 75 U.N.T.S. 135, entered into force Oct. 21, 1950.
http://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/instree/y3gctpw.htm

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Killing the terrorists does indeed stop terrorism. At least from that particular terrorist. Unfortunately, we kill a couple then turn around and send food and medicine to the rest of them. Then they get mad because they're taking welfare from the Great Satan.

I posted a link somewhere that reports a big reduction in terrorist acts since Bush laid the smack down on Afghanistan and Iraq. So obviously it works.

You're right. Still, the fact that Fallujah even happened is an outrage. When our citizens are treated like that, it's like all our efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq have been in vain. The people in Fallujah should have never had the desire to hurt Americans in the first place.