Uber

mitzi

I'm in a bind and may need to call Uber in a few days. Can anyone that used them tell me an approximate wait time for them to arrive? Is it a long wait?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Depends on where you live and when you call. In a large city they have like 8 million Uber and Lift drivers, so your ride shows up within a few minutes. Not sure what it's like in a less populated area with rural aspects.

mitzi

I should have said in my post, it would be local. From Leonardtown to a doctor appointment in Leonardtown, just a few miles. What happens if they don't show up, how do you get your refund? This is all new to me and anxiety is taking over.

mitzi

I wish I could answer you, but I've always paid cash when I've used them. My son uses them a lot - he would know and I can get back with you tomorrow morning on that. Please don't be anxious; is it one of those can't drive yourself appointments? Sucks not to have someone to help out and I know you don't know me, but if you need help getting to and from, I could probably help out - I don't do anything all day.

My car needs to be fixed and I can't drive it. I'm hoping it's fixed by Thursday. This does suck. Anyone I could ask wouldn't be able to take off work. . My kids can't take off work. My other option would be take the STS, but with this vertigo I can't. If I could reschedule I would, but I wouldn't be able to get in for at least a month and I need to go.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'll know a little bit more about Uber/Lyft and refunds by tomorrow when I can call my oldest (he's asleep by now). The offer stands to give you a ride and bring you home though. AND. I also know that's weird because I'm just a unknown forum person, but if all other options fail, I can help you out okay?
You should also bring her a pizza!

mitzi

I'll know a little bit more about Uber/Lyft and refunds by tomorrow when I can call my oldest (he's asleep by now). The offer stands to give you a ride and bring you home though. AND. I also know that's weird because I'm just a unknown forum person, but if all other options fail, I can help you out okay?

No, it's not weird. Another kind person has offered to help me too. I think on the forum we get to know who is a nice person or not by all the posts we've read over the years. I appreciate your offer to help.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I priced it. Ridiculous prices.

My dot, and her hub are the only ones in the fam that have used Uber. They say it sucks. :boo: Plus, there has been news that it is dangerous to use them. Take SG up on her offer. That is really nice of her. If I had not moved to Mont Co, I would offer to help you, too, friend. Hope you get your car back soon.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I priced it. Ridiculous prices.
Ask a friend to ride you instead? I don't have any friends. But I do know a couple of people that would give me a ride if I asked. Probably because they would feel sorry for me thinking they were doing God's work, felt pity for my self made pathetic, sad, lot in life, or to elevate their, "there but for the grace of God go I", feelings of superiority, court ordered community service, or part of some volunteer program requirement for school or something like that.:ohwell: But that just gave me an idea. How about asking a high school kid to utilize some of those mandatory graduation volunteer hours to help you out?

warneckutz

Uber is decent around here. I'd say I've done about a dozen rides and never had an issue. Maybe the longest wait was 15 minutes? You can always start messing with the app to see how many drivers are around at any time.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I don't have any friends. But I do know a couple of people that would give me a ride if I asked. Probably because they would feel sorry for me thinking they were doing God's work, felt pity for my self made pathetic, sad, lot in life, or to elevate their, "there but for the grace of God go I", feelings of superiority, court ordered community service, or part of some volunteer program requirement for school or something like that.:ohwell:

I wonder why?
Not trying to be mean, but maybe it's your attitude?
Some people are just kind and are willing to help others.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Mitzi - My son said if you want to pre-arrange a pickup - Lyft will do that BUT he said sometimes that works, sometimes not - have a backup plan. Uber is his Plan B when the Lyft pre-arranged pickups don't show. He said they're pretty decent and it may take as long as 20 minutes for them to show. Worst case scenario might be arriving a little earlier than planned. You don't pay until they show up and take you to your destination so that eliminates your concern about getting a refund if they don't show. He said he pays with Paypal or a credit card - doesn't think they do cash (except for a tip). I'm not sure that's 100% accurate - I distinctly remember having to pay cash when I got picked up from the emergency room late at night - might be a thing they have going with St. Mary's though.

Keep me posted if you need any more information or a ride.
@SailorGirl I'm a little concerned about how you've said you had to pay cash - Uber and Lyft are app-based rideshares/taxis and all your payment info, if I recall, have to be set up before you even call for your first ride. For Uber, You can choose, as a rider, to pay in cash vs. having the ride charged to your card, but I've never heard of a driver only accepting cash. I would just hate to see you swindled or something. But as a rider, you're supposed to always have a choice in how you pay the driver.

However, Lyft does not accept cash payments at all, they are all charged.

ltown81

Uber is okay in St. Marys. The big issue I have had lately that is very frustrating, is Uber does not tell drivers where you are going untill you are in the car. So what happens is Most Uber drivers hang in California down by Sheetz or Wildewood. They accept your Uver call in Leonardtown to come pick you up, then start blasting you with texts and calls asking where you are going. If you tell them a location and the trip is not worth their while, they cancel and you are stuck finding another Uber. Reason for this say you are in Leonardtown and going to a neighborhood in Leonardtown...in their mind it is not worth their time to drive all the way from California to Leonardtown for a 5-10 minute ride. Also because they never picked you up, you cant leave negative feedback. While I can understand this, it is also against Uber's rules to ask where you are going before you pick the person up. If you don't like Uber's system, don't drive for them. There are a lot of people in St. Mary's who have never used Uber or have any experiance with the platform. When drivers do this it makes Uber as a whole unreliable and untrustworthy.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Uber is okay in St. Marys. The big issue I have had lately that is very frustrating, is Uber does not tell drivers where you are going untill you are in the car. So what happens is Most Uber drivers hang in California down by Sheetz or Wildewood. They accept your Uver call in Leonardtown to come pick you up, then start blasting you with texts and calls asking where you are going. If you tell them a location and the trip is not worth their while, they cancel and you are stuck finding another Uber. Reason for this say you are in Leonardtown and going to a neighborhood in Leonardtown...in their mind it is not worth their time to drive all the way from California to Leonardtown for a 5-10 minute ride. Also because they never picked you up, you cant leave negative feedback. While I can understand this, it is also against Uber's rules to ask where you are going before you pick the person up. If you don't like Uber's system, don't drive for them. There are a lot of people in St. Mary's who have never used Uber or have any experiance with the platform. When drivers do this it makes Uber as a whole unreliable and untrustworthy.
That's a very good point, and certainly explains the lack of consistent use around here. I've only ever used them outside of St. Mary's, when visiting other cities/more populated areas. I've never had any issues, in fact I have nothing but nice things to say about it, but that's using it in places like Philly and San Diego. If you were to respond saying you're not supposed to disclose your destination, or if you didn't respond at all, will they still come pick you up? There has to be a way to track those offenders, and while small on Uber's complaint scale, complain with that proof?

ltown81

If you don't reply or tell them you you dont have to disclose it, they just cancel. And they do pick you up anyway, it is akward. Last time the driver called me 4x and messaged 5x in the first 3 minutes of my my accepting ride. I did not answer till she was almost to me where I was going so she did not cancel. Then I got in the car and she complained the whole way about how her car is a gas hog and she would only make $3.50 for the trip.

That's a very good point, and certainly explains the lack of consistent use around here. I've only ever used them outside of St. Mary's, when visiting other cities/more populated areas. I've never had any issues, in fact I have nothing but nice things to say about it, but that's using it in places like Philly and San Diego. If you were to respond saying you're not supposed to disclose your destination, or if you didn't respond at all, will they still come pick you up? There has to be a way to track those offenders, and while small on Uber's complaint scale, complain with that proof?