uh oh... Roy Dyson's Bill

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by SmallTown
what if the other people in the car are mutes?

The point being, if they (the government or parents) feel they aren't capable to drive, they shouldn't.. By themselves or with other people.

As far as peer pressure being involved, if someone in the car is trying to get you to do something stupid (like drag race or jump hills) you have two choices.. Not do it and don't worry about it, or do it and may the consequence of wrapping your car around a tree.. Darwin wasn't so dumb after all, the weak weeding themselves out seems to work just fine.. You know, God did give us one incredible invention.. Free will.. The ability to make choices.. Though not fully refined, you have this from the day you are born.
Peer pressure is significant. Ask the kids, they will tell you. You do have kids, don't you? And of course there are some very mature kids who do avoid those pressures that would be penalized if this measure became law. But today we have many weak parents that don't do a very good job of raising their kids and as soon as they are 16 they sign the application for the license and buy them a car. As to weeding out that would be fine if they were only killing themselves. But it wasn't that long ago that horseplay caused an innocent man to be killed over in Calvert when kids were hot-rodding in that brand new Mustang.

To date I haven't seen a new bill re-introducing this concept, until that time isn't all of this moot?

smcdem

Ken I don't know much about what the bill exactly says. It is under the little legislation preview of Fridays enterprise.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Ken King
But today we have many weak parents that don't do a very good job of raising their kids and as soon as they are 16 they sign the application for the license and buy them a car.

Exactly.. It is the parents who need to do a better job.. The government is not a tax-paid baby sitter

H

Heretic

Originally posted by SmallTown
The government is not a tax-paid baby sitter

I agree, but the next time I hear someone bring up government sponsored daycare Im going to hold you to that.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I don’t read the Emptyprise, but since the 2003 State Legislature doesn’t start until Wednesday the 8th there are no new bills out there on this topic. Even if Dyson attempts to get this through he will probably face the same fate as previous bills on this subject. A little tidbit, identical bills were introduced as SB527 in the 2002 session, SB128 in the 2001 session, SB404 in the 2000 session, and SB597 in the 1999 session. All were given an unfavorable report by the Judicial Proceedings Committee.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Considering...

...cars kill more teens than all other causes combined, including drugs, pimples and even, *shudder* guns, then, shouldn't we make them illegal for minors, period?

I mean, the goal is child safety, right?

"No cars until you are 21"

and then, it must be a "smart car" of some form or another that can't possibly hurt you because we'll put so many devices on it that buy the time you get it started it'll be to late to go anywhere anyway thereby serving the REAL goal of...elimination of private automobile ownership!

Think of all the kids who would be alive today if we only cared enough.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Re: Considering...

Originally posted by Larry Gude
Think of all the kids who would be alive today if we only cared enough.

I thought we were just trying to make teens lives miserable enough so they respect adults more, and appreciate the priveledge of living long enough to become one?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oz, the idea is to make them so miserable that they can't wait to get their own apartment and will never, as an adult, entertain the notion of coming back to live with the parents.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
See, all the adults got off on this government intervention kick, but we all lost sight of the fact that teens lives *should* be made miserable by adults in retaliation for learning to talk, and then talking back!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I know - all those months teaching them to walk, talk and hit their face with a fork. Then you spend the next 17 years telling them to sit down, shut up and quit eating you out of house and home. :roflmao:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Some people forget the saying that "Kids are great, and then they start talking" long enough to conceive.