uh oh... Roy Dyson's Bill

smcdem

What it boils down to us teens is this...

Do not make laws that won't worked and base them on results of fatal mistakes that few committed.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by SmallTown
Oh my.. Again.. Agreement with sleuth.. Thats like 3 times.. Heck, next time you want people to meet ya for lunch, i'll be there :smile:

Or was that someone else from earlier.. Oh well.

yup... that was me.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Originally posted by sleuth14
Note that I mentioned the words ... "private property"
I think you missed my point Sleuth.

Driving on private property isn't a "real world" skill builder. It can familiarize them with controls locations and functionality but lacks the critical element that gets so many teens into trouble.

Dealing with real-world road conditions and traffic interactions.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Kyle
I think you missed my point Sleuth.

Driving on private property isn't a "real world" skill builder. It can familiarize them with controls locations and functionality but lacks the critical element that gets so many teens into trouble.

Dealing with real-world road conditions and traffic interactions.

Kyle...

I will concede you that point.

You gotta admit though... learning to drive a car in snow on nonexistent roads, up and down hollers, and through fields, around cows and horses and sheep... that takes a certain level of skill. Not to mention knowing how to react when you're careening down a 60 degree slope at 45 mph with trees all around you.

It's been fun... I'll see y'all tomorrow.

Last edited:

SmallTown

Football season!
I got my license at 17.. I had NEVER been behind the wheel of a car before drivers ed class (well, maybe if you count driving down the driveway..) After my first time on the road, the instructor said I was one of the best students he has had in awhile.. He thought maybe I had been driving with my parents for quite a while (since I was 17).. there was a girl in the class who had been driving with her parents for awhile before the class.. The instructor was scared to even have her pull out of the parking lot..

Point being, everyone is different.. some pick up driving rather easily, while others struggle.. It is up to the parents to determine just how far their kids go with their priveledge to drive

H

Heretic

This issue is kind of like 2nd hand smoke. Yes it is the parents responsibility to determine what is right for their kids, not the government but since the teenagers will be driving on public roads it does effect us all whether we want it to or not.

Maybe make a law that allows the police to ticket people for irresponsible driving, someone under 18 gets one of these tickets they loose their liscense for 3 months (that would absolutely kill a kid).

Biscuit

Livin' Large
I dont care how many kids are in the car. You can be a retard all by yourself. hell most of the most stupid things i did where by myself or at a stoplight.:biggrin:

If you kid is an idiot, you should usally be able to pick up on the fact and take the keys.

I don't need yet another bill to do my parenting for me.

:boo:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I for one am sick of parents wanting to shift the responsibility of raising their children to the government.
That's a curious statement, coming from a teacher.

I'll tell you what I'm sick of: People who will let their kids do anything, as long as it doesn't inconvenience them, the parent. SMC is concerned about transportation issues if students aren't allowed to carpool. Doesn't it strike you as odd that parents would rather take the chance with their kid driving or riding with an inexperienced driver than transport them theirselves?

alex

I don't agree with this law because I don't think it will be enforced any better than underaged drinking is. However, I can not understand WHY kids need to be able to drive at 16.

I did not grow up in MD but where I did grow up (and things are still the same) you could not drive until you were 18; 17 if you had drivers ed and were a senior in HS. Also, you were not allowed to drive to HS or even leave the school building unless you were a senior or doing a work study program (for those who did not drive in work/study they provided mid-day buses).

It is the parent's responsibility to get their kids to Ryken if they can't afford the bus. If it is too $$ send them to public school. I have yet to see that many kids down here who are responsible drivers.

My son has been wanting to drive since he was 10 years old, he is now 13. The rule in our house is:
- A or B's on the report card every quarter for the year BEFORE he gets his license or have made the BSA rank of Eagle Scout.
- Pays his own gas and insurance.
- He only gets to drive our oldest vehicle until he can purchase and maintain his own car.

I hear so many parents say what a relief that their kid can now drive. They don't have to be "bothered" to take them here or there. I have no problem driving him where he needs to go, even part time jobs. At least that way I will know who he is with and what he is doing.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Doesn't it strike you as odd that parents would rather take the chance with their kid driving or riding with an inexperienced driver than transport them theirselves?

Uhm, no. Seems many of the crazy drivers out there are moms in minivans racing little johny and little susie to school, then rushing to pick them up.. Then rushing little johny to baseball practice and little susie to dance class.. And somewhere inbetween rushing home or to mcdonalds for food..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I hear so many parents say what a relief that their kid can now drive. They don't have to be "bothered" to take them here or there. I have no problem driving him where he needs to go, even part time jobs. At least that way I will know who he is with and what he is doing.
Amen to that. I can remember thinking it would be a relief when my son could drive. Honey, I didn't know what stress WAS until that child took off on his own. :roflmao: My daughter was 16 in October and she is moderately interested in driving but hasn't even gotten her lerners yet - and we are in no hurry for her to get it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Seems many of the crazy drivers out there are moms in minivans
So what you're saying is that you feel teenagers are more responsible drivers than soccer Moms - is that correct?

SmallTown

Football season!
So what you're saying is that you feel teenagers are more responsible drivers than soccer Moms - is that correct?

Not at all.. But in much less of a rush than a soccer mom trying to do too many things.. Just like the kids, it is a priveledge for the soccer moms to have a license as well.. Seems that parents always tell kids that, but it no longer applies as you get older.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
That's a curious statement, coming from a teacher.

Most of the teachers I know believe that their job is educating students, not raising them.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Biscuit
Personally, I will be glad when my oldest gets her permit. I need a designated Driver:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

And make sure they have a truck.. I spent many nights at the all-night car wash when I was younger cleaning out the bed of my truck.. It is MUCH easier to clean from the back than on the seats up front.. I was the drunk wagon.. When someone couldn't make it, we threw them in the back of the truck.. Then there was this one time where the cops pulled me over.. Needless to say, 4 drunks in the back of a truck in the middle of the night just can't keep themselves quiet...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Seems that parents always tell kids that, but it no longer applies as you get older.
So you're saying that if soccer Moms speed or drive erratically or cause an accident, they don't get a ticket or anything but kids do?
Originally posted by Tonio
Most of the teachers I know believe that their job is educating students, not raising them.
Then who is it that is lobbying to teach ethics, morals, diversity and sexual practices in the schools? You could say that that's merely "teaching" but where is the line drawn between "teaching" and "raising"?

SmallTown

Football season!
So you're saying that if soccer Moms speed or drive erratically or cause an accident, they don't get a ticket or anything but kids do?

Are you sure you are only smoking cigarettes these days?

As you would say, what good is a ticket if they have killed themself or someone else?

We just don't need "parenting" laws when it comes to driving. Normally the kid is on the parent's insurance, so you would think they would take even greater care in making sure their kids are doing the right thing.

SmallTown

Football season!
Then who is it that is lobbying to teach ethics, morals, diversity and sexual practices in the schools? You could say that that's merely "teaching" but where is the line drawn between "teaching" and "raising"?

kinda like the whole religion in schools thing

smcdem

Amen to that. I can remember thinking it would be a relief when my son could drive. Honey, I didn't know what stress WAS until that child took off on his own. :roflmao: My daughter was 16 in October and she is moderately interested in driving but hasn't even gotten her lerners yet - and we are in no hurry for her to get it.
You See I could of gotten my learners 3 weeks ago. I have no urge to get it. (and because the loveville MVA is closed for a while, but still I will get it when I think I am ready.)